Author Topic: Death and progression points/skills  (Read 2950 times)

piprees

• Hydlaa Resident
  • "In game i am know as Yotanis"
    • View Profile
    • Millenium Templars
Death and progression points/skills
« on: May 26, 2008, 10:26:00 am »
I know there are a few threads about the effects of death, and i may be being a little lazy on this but has anyone considered the death curse etc from a roleplay perspective.

Let me explain

At the moment, you die, you get sent to death realm, you escape and respawn - the curse takes effect and 30 mins later your recovered.

Ok fair enough but as thats the only penalty as we know its open to abuse and death is not much of a threat.

However "dying" and having your soul ripped form your body is a traumatic instance and there should be some long lasting effect and i belive there is one, one that does not include stat reduction beyond the curse or damaging items.

Quite simply and its been stareing people in the face - you lose your memory IE your progression points and random levels in skill.

If you die, you lose all progression points not spent and at random a varying amount of skill levels depending on how recently you died.

First time 1 or 2 skill levels in one or 2 skills, die again within a set time frame (say two hours) and the loss is more severe say double the effect 1 to 4 levels between 1 to 4 skills.

This allows death a more severe consequence rather than the "Time delay" it currently is whilst still allowing people a chance to recover from it by retraining.

Be good to see some feedback on this idea
Only the internet brings people together through ideals alone

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Death and progression points/skills
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:39:05 am »
And what about people who are not fighters and gain their experience and progression points through quests?

piprees

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Millenium Templars
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 10:47:51 am »
If there not fighters chances are they wont die that often and should be able to regain the progression points through other means.

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 10:55:32 am »
If there not fighters chances are they wont die that often and should be able to regain the progression points through other means.

Oh, death can come quickly even to those who try to avoid it ... one false step or an accidental crossing of an Ulbernaut...
And which other means do you have in mind? As far as I know there is only fighting and quests that give you experience points. And it is already quite hard to get progression points by doing quests. To loose even the slightest amount to some stupid accident would hurt badly if you consider that most quests can only be done once.
Sorry, it seems that you aim at the powergamers but it will hurt others, who gather their progression points much harder, way more.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 11:04:10 am by Kaityra »

Cebot

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 11:04:33 am »
Ok fair enough but as thats the only penalty as we know its open to abuse and death is not much of a threat.
And people already complain about this penalty :P
However "dying" and having your soul ripped form your body is a traumatic instance and there should be some long lasting effect and i belive there is one, one that does not include stat reduction beyond the curse or damaging items.
As far as I remember the settings, your soul does not get ripped off your body. You get sent to the DR with body and soul in one piece

Quite simply and its been stareing people in the face - you lose your memory IE your progression points and random levels in skill.

If you die, you lose all progression points not spent and at random a varying amount of skill levels depending on how recently you died.

First time 1 or 2 skill levels in one or 2 skills, die again within a set time frame (say two hours) and the loss is more severe say double the effect 1 to 4 levels between 1 to 4 skills.

This allows death a more severe consequence rather than the "Time delay" it currently is whilst still allowing people a chance to recover from it by retraining.
For new players this will be kind of a hard penalty. A new character is usually pretty weak and will die every now and then. They will lose the skills and the PP's they earned and will puke from anger. Advanced players will also puke from anger, because at high levels it takes ages to get the needed pp's back pay high fees for the levels they lost and spent ages on training it again, only to lose it the next time they run into a glitch or die by lag.

I kind of like a varying range of penalties for death, but this is will only anger players. Alternatively one could combine the current system with your ideas, just not make em permanent.
Like lose stats and random skills for some time, bu have the char remember the skills again without the need of re-training them.
Also I could imagine a kind of GateKeeper NPC at the portal(s). Either pay a fee (depending on how much money you have) or leave an item behind, or solve a riddle...or all together? :D

Anyways, my two tria
So why do I love when I still feel pain?
When does it end, when is my work done?
Why do I fight and why do I feel that
I carry a sword, that I carry a sword through a battlefield?

VNV Nation - Joy

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 11:12:07 am »
I've played months without dying once .. I don't think death comes quickly in this game if you know what you're doing. It only comes quickly if you take risks and do without thinking. On the other hand it's perfectly doable to move around and even progress without coming close to death.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 11:18:43 am »
I've played months without dying once .. I don't think death comes quickly in this game if you know what you're doing.

Then you are way smarter than me. I just remember one incident where there was an Ulbernaut right on the road from Hydlaa to the Magic Shop. The only thing that saved me was that it already followed somebody else. Or one of my other characters was hunting Trepors, a Onyx Dagger came along...one hit...dead. Or climbing up in the Death Realm...lag came...missed a step...dead.

piprees

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Millenium Templars
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 11:21:15 am »
Well i wouldnt consider dying in the death realm to add to the penalty at all, your already there.

In regards to the other matters be careful then - simple

Death isnt a small matter.

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 11:30:41 am »
Well, for me dying is already hard enough and you can believe me that I and my characters don't take it lightly. My characters don't have high strength, which means that I have to spent half an hour waiting for the curse to be gone before I can move again. Plus it is extremly annoying if you are an Enkidukai, as Ojaveda is quite on the other end of all the "interesting" sites, if you know what I mean. And no, even if Kaityra is in BD she wouldn't think of dying just to get back to Ojaveda more quickly.
As I have already said, the penalty you suggest aims at a different kind of player, so it is a "no" from my side, sorry.

piprees

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Millenium Templars
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 11:46:33 am »
The penalty applies to all, and regards the spawn locations you mention, thats just as frustating for anyone no matter what race you are.

Being at the bronze doors and reappearing in hydlaa is no small matter.

I do understand what you mean about dying being hard, but at present the "sit and wait it out" just doesnt justify something so serious.

citizen

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 12:01:58 pm »
If i remember correctly what i read in DR in books, then after a large amount of time spent in DR, someone was unable to exist outside it.

Luzino

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »
Now what I'm wondering about - there are quests out there that require you to go to DR. There is at least one trainer in DR, so to advance some skills you have to die. And living with the curse afterwards is bad enough. I really don't need to die to train one skill to lose levels in another skill - or if your randomizer is considered maybe even levels of the skill I died to advance in the first place.
Did you consider this? Just wondering...
So much to do - and so little time...

piprees

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Millenium Templars
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 02:45:22 pm »
Those quests would have to be reviewed with some form of amulet or protection or cure to the memory loss

piprees

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Millenium Templars
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 03:03:39 pm »
One other thing, eventually you will run out of quests to gain experiance, then it will come down to training and crafting, so the non repeating quest issue is immaterial.

What is the issue is taking due care not to die - the more careful and fearful of the threat of death you are, the more likelyhood honest players and good people will look after themselves and also not abuse the "/die" option, or challenge creatures beyond there capabilities - better to run away and live another day afterall :)

Denerynn

• Hydlaa Resident
  • A traveller in search of wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 04:28:07 pm »
Better to run? The other day I died for the first time since I started playing again (so perhaps a few days) after being gone for two years. I was just making my way back, and as I neared the end, on a narrow walkway, I get stuck for a few seconds, which was just long enough for a Wrathrat to kill me. The point is, it's not always possible to avoid things, simply because you might not even see them coming. That Onyx Dagger, mentionned above, is another example. As people have said above, a stat penalty is just too much. It's hard enough earning them, so why lose them so easily? I'd much prefer a material loss, such as having to pay a fee, for example.
"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire