Author Topic: Evil RP Advice/Guide  (Read 7254 times)

Eliseth

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Spiffirific
    • View Profile
    • Eliseth's Journal
Re: Evil RP Advice/Guide
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 03:43:04 pm »
Right, there are several things I disagree with in this guide, Colinb I'm going to PM you tomorrow about this if thats ok.

Colinb

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 06:46:04 pm »
No problem...I set myself up when trying to add a sense of humor and such. Well as I said I must of over thought in psychology wise and keep it as unbiased as possible to avoid inciting a major disagreement.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 07:31:17 pm by Colinb »

theirah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 03:07:24 am »
whats wrong IC wise with killing in the plaza? if ppl hate you enough for it...they can just kill you for it.

I know that currently, the rules are that you cant. but is that a good rule?

Raa

• Veteran
  • Halp meh...!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 03:09:34 am »
Theirah... there's a government, you know...  :P

Beniel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 03:11:16 am »
The problem with killing people in the plaza is that there is meant to be some sort of law and order in cities, guards to break fights up and arrest people - laws that are enforced by punishments through game mechanics. There has been plenty of discussion about this sort of thing from what I have seen, and I imagine some sort of law enforcement system will be implemented eventually.

theirah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 03:50:00 am »
ok beniel.

Raa, just because theres a government doesnt mean its strong enough to stop you where you stand when you fight. it would at the very least take them some time to get things under control, unless they have powers to freeze you in place or something. Unless a ward is placed over the entire city to stop fighting, there is still possibility for a fight to break out for a while before guards jump in. IC guards, that is.

Colinb

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 05:59:26 am »
There are no IC Guards. There is a DE Imperial Guard but they enforce there own guilds rules to the DE guilds. The people who kill in the plaza will have quite the night they will never forget. In the end its up to the citizens to defend the assaulted person and in a sort of funny way murder the murderer.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 06:14:48 am by Colinb »

theirah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 06:18:48 am »
well, there are IC guards in hydlaa. eg finara, and the others by the gates. They just...dont move.

Colinb

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 06:33:42 am »
My defenition IC= In Character (Player) NPC you mean?

Izzabella

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Outlaws
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 09:11:39 am »
Just because they are NPC's does not mean in char your char can't acknowledge that they are there ;)

what is being said is that if Bob and Joe started beating each other up by Jeferica then he'd step in and break it up IC'ly even though OOC we can't see that.. its part of RPing with in the settings ;)

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 12:18:08 pm »
Yeah...theres a big problem with fighting in the plaza anyways...Incase no one ever noticed there is that huge guard tower right there..There are actually a few of them in Hydlaa so ICly the guards are 'watching.'

Raa, just because theres a government doesnt mean its strong enough to stop you where you stand when you fight.

Never assume that they cannot, its godmodding. You have to remember that this world isn't controlled by players, its controlled by the NPC government. Their guards have military training that (most likely) far surpasses anything that any of our characters can achieve. You shouldn't just assume that if a guard caught you fighting that they could stop you but you should assume they could easily place you under arrest and carry out your punishment as the law would command it. Probably why there is an IC book of laws in the library. So we can OOCly know how to punish our characters for any crimes we feel they would have been caught commiting.
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

theirah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 03:25:48 pm »
so....its godmodding if I assume that guards cannot arrest me, but its not godmodding if I assume they can??? ???

where is there indication that the guards have recieved  military traing that far surpasses anything that any of our characters can achieve?

as for npc government and laws...just because theres a book of laws doesnt mean they're all enforced, nor does it imply anything about how swift justice is. I'm not saying a guard is not able to arrest me, but that they would take reasonable time to react and stop me. and even if the guards are extremely powerful, they may not be able to stop, say, a group of people rampaging through. Or if its only one person, he or her can escape before the guards can react sufficiently. in real life, are there not criminals who get away in the strongest government with the strongest guards?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 03:32:32 pm by theirah »

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 05:07:08 pm »
so....its godmodding if I assume that guards cannot arrest me, but its not godmodding if I assume they can??? ???

where is there indication that the guards have recieved  military traing that far surpasses anything that any of our characters can achieve?

When one godmods they assume that their character is more powerful than someone elses and give themselves the ability to beat their opponent. In an rp fight for example when you allow yourself to block and dodge every move your opponent makes its godmodding. You are only ever able to say who is stronger than your character. You can never claim a character to be weaker than yours. They must claim yours to be stronger. If you rp that your stronger than everyone else and when you rp fight you 'make' yourself stronger its godmodding. (Note I was using rp fighting as an example but I know everyone doesn't rp fight :P )

Taking that idea, that you can only decide who is stronger than you, and applying it to your rp makes the first thing you said true. If you make yourself stronger than the guards and say they can't arrest you then your a godmodder. Say that they can and make sure you assume that they can take you down easily and your not. Obviously that doesn't mean they will take you down easily but that has to be what you assume.

As for your second point obviously you should assume they could have. Nextly, remember that these guards are high ranking and powerful officials in the city. If anyone of us could match their strength then it would make sense for us to be hireable for the guard. Also if everyone assumed that the guards were weaker than them then we'd have people fighting around them without a care. Thats why we have to assume they are stronger and have had greater military training. Till there comes a day when players can fight guards there really isn't another option.
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

theirah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 05:55:44 pm »
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=godmodding

the definition of god-moding is pretty much to make yourself invinceable.

Taking that idea, that you can only decide who is stronger than you, and applying it to your rp makes the first thing you said true. If you make yourself stronger than the guards and say they can't arrest you then your a godmodder. Say that they can and make sure you assume that they can take you down easily and your not. Obviously that doesn't mean they will take you down easily but that has to be what you assume.

As for your second point obviously you should assume they could have. Nextly, remember that these guards are high ranking and powerful officials in the city. If anyone of us could match their strength then it would make sense for us to be hireable for the guard. Also if everyone assumed that the guards were weaker than them then we'd have people fighting around them without a care. Thats why we have to assume they are stronger and have had greater military training. Till there comes a day when players can fight guards there really isn't another option.

by your logic, we can never claim another character to be stronger. so....no boasting. no arrogance. no taking on a fight because you assume that the other person is stronger than you and can beat you down to the ground easily. no making any trouble at all because everyone around you is strong enough to hunt you down before you can cause it.

sounds a little ridiculous to me.

as for your second thought. just because we're strong would not mean that we're hireable for the guard. there could be many issues, such as the character's background making them unsuitable, or their history, or simply that the character has no taste for joining the guard.

Beniel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 07:06:24 pm »
...by your logic, we can never claim another character to be stronger. so....no boasting. no arrogance. no taking on a fight because you assume that the other person is stronger than you and can beat you down to the ground easily. no making any trouble at all because everyone around you is strong enough to hunt you down before you can cause it.

sounds a little ridiculous to me...

I think you are mistaking Duraza's statement. There is nothing wrong with playing a strong arrogant character. The only problem is when you start "godmodding", and I think your your definition is slightly different then ours.

From my experience in Planeshift so far, Godmodding is when you do something to somebodies character without their consent.

For example: Your strong arrogant character gets annoyed at someone in the tavern

You: /me beats down other player with a chair and other player dies
other player : [You can't do that!]
You: [Yes I can, i am so muc stronger then you. Now type /die]

What is perfectly fine to do is:
You: /me attempts to beat down other player with chair
other player: etc...

As you can see, by following the path of not forcing something on a character throug RP, a much more amusing and lengthy bar fight can take place, even ending with someone using /die at the end, if they so wish.

It's just common sense really, I wouldn't be to impressed if someone came up to me and said "I'm an uber strong thief, i just robbed you, give me your whole inventory then type /die"

And of course if you wish to go by game mechanics you can just /challenge I suppose.