Author Topic: Customers  (Read 1515 times)

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
Re: Customers
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 10:07:51 pm »
Alas XilliX, you shouldn't even have to say any of that in the first place, but oh well >_>

Hiraghm

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 10:42:40 pm »
Does anyone other than me remember MUDs?

Nobody would have dreamed of complaining as a "customer". They'd make suggestions and report problems, but it was never about a customer / vendor relationship.
 ???

Dreamcrafter

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 11:29:11 pm »
Does anyone other than me remember MUDs?

Nobody would have dreamed of complaining as a "customer". They'd make suggestions and report problems, but it was never about a customer / vendor relationship.
 ???

I still run a MUX (like a MUD but with less code and more RP) that keeps quite active.  My players are not 'customers,' and any one of them would laugh at being called such.  They're members of an open-invite social club.  The same is true here--PS is a club that is open and free to use, but we're guests of the devs, not customers.  They get nothing from us in terms of 'business.'  Let's not get arrogant about ourselves here, guys--we're players.  The devs are, like the admin of a MU, hard working folks doing a fairly thankless task that they are by NO means paid to do.  We have no room to get self-righteous about our position as players, and CERTAINLY not as 'customers.'

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 05:12:33 am »
I remember MUDs.  Least the free ones.  I say we please go torch Iron Realms; seriously who the hell wants to pay to go play a text game?  And also who the hell wants to pay a five figure amount for a proprietary MUD engine?

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 07:55:50 am »
Who wants to pay to play a text game? Um... maybe i'm showing my age here, but does anyone remember zork? "door" games on bbs's? TradeWars? People paid money for those. We are just spoiled now with all the free stuff that is out there on the internet.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 11:14:27 am »
The Infocomm game engine was pretty cool back in the day. The subsequent MUD systems got very intricate and interesting. It required a heck of a lot more imagination to play on those engines than anything that is around, but the features still blow away any 3d games out there now. It will take a long time to implement everything in the MUD engines in PS or WoW.

Rayken

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • postcount--;
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 11:39:52 am »
Trues, but by that logic I imagine D&D is far more featured than any MUD (not that I played any, other than Legend of the Red Dragon, which I'm still not sure counts).  The more you are visually constructing things and depending less on the human imagination, the harder it is going to be to implement features.
"Here's to lowering caskets of old friends choice and consequence we'll birth a new day with the death of an old and start over, start over.  Here's to burying hatchets in those who you'd never call your friend...we'll birth a new day with the death of an old day and start over, start over!"

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 12:57:26 pm »
Actually, the MUDs have less, as much, or more than the D&D ruleset and all additions. Of course it will be harder, because to construct a game that required no imagination at all, one would have to build the world completely.

Hiraghm

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 10:59:46 pm »
Waitaminit.... I thought this MMORPG was different! I thought you were gonna pay ME to play!

After all, I'm so special and my pooh don't stink neither!

Sarcasm aside, an open source project is bound precisely to the amount of customer service cited in the license agreement. To my knowledge, there's no difference between the people who create the game and the people who play it, in this regard, because the people who play can do what the people who create it did, and download the sourcecode.

On a website today, I saw a young gal talk about how "some third party" should take the fruits of each person's efforts and redistribute it "from each according to his means, to each according to his needs"... and then proclaimed *that* "freedom".

As XilliX said, if a person invests his irreplaceable time, if he invests the one thing that is truly his, his effort, and contributes his unique creative abilities to produce something, whether it be a desk or a symphony... should anyone else demand a right to the fruits of that labor for whatever reason, they are demanding a right to enslave that person, nothing less!

If that person willingly shares those fruits, as I believe most people would, then it should be on his terms.

No one is required to play PS; they should play PS because it's fun. At this stage, PS is incomplete, and faces challenges and limitations commercial efforts with lots of money (tens of millions of dollars) thrown behind them don't face. Some of the team are doing it for the fun of creating/running an online multiplayer world. Others are doing it in hopes of learning things. Still others hope to pad their portfolio so they can get a job doing what they love to do. Most I imagine are doing it for all these reasons and more besides.

Nobody should have to kiss their backsides for doing this. But nobody should expect the developers/GMS to kiss their backsides, either.

Prolix

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 11:34:20 pm »
I used that quote on a tracker site just yesterday!

That sounds like kizmit to me.

neko kyouran

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 07:36:05 am »