Author Topic: Thieving..The World according to TeaLeaF®  (Read 4591 times)

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • ꞆĂ­ꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
Re: Thieving..The World according to TeaLeaF®
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 02:54:22 pm »
The post before mine did. Feline Prince. Seemed then that you were defending his idea.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Waoknie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 03:57:31 pm »
A friend of mine knows someone who happens to know about another person and blah, lah... anyway.. he plays another MMORPG in which the following rules apply:

1. If you steal something, the owner and/or his mates are granted with the right to kill you for a while.
2. Properties that can be stolen: -Unfinished loots; i.e. If you kill a mob, the 'package' remains out of it, visible and available to anyone but marked as yours. Also, containers (which the game has for storage functions), etc..
3. You cannot steal from an individual. (no such as pickpocketing, etc..)
4. Containers have an expiration date. Same as loots, etc..

just some thoughts..

freeharte

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 04:48:55 pm »
The post before mine did. Feline Prince. Seemed then that you were defending his idea.

No, I was pointing out that the mechanics allow no anonymity.  There's no such thing as a "stranger" in this game, because we're all "identified" at a distance.  That means that, as soon as one commits a crime, and it becomes "public knowledge," anyone can identify the criminal.  Bank robbers and pickpockets, in the real world, don't wear nametags. :)

This kind of "recognition" is OOC, because if you're roleplaying, your toon doesn't "see" the nametag; we pretend that we recognize individuals because of features, clothing, etc.

If there's going to be roleplaying of crime using the current mechanics, the participants must agree not to "see" a nametag that's right there on the screen.  It's kind of hard to force that to happen. :)

In order to roleplay crime, other than as a simple pre-arranged "event," something in the mechanics needs to be changed so that criminals' identities can be "masked," making it harder to identify them.

Aiwendil

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 01:52:46 am »
In order to roleplay crime, other than as a simple pre-arranged "event," something in the mechanics needs to be changed so that criminals' identities can be "masked," making it harder to identify them.

Oh, I think there is/was something in the game mechanics to help a thief staying unidentified ;). The introduction system would allow this. But it had some "small" flaws when it was firstly introduced to Planeshift. And a lot of players flamed the introduction system down here in the forum. But in general I liked the system and would love to see it back in Planeshift (With a few things changed and some bugs fixed). And for those who didn't had the chance to enjoy the introduction system, hear a short summery how it worked. Each players was a "unknowen" to you until that players introduced to you. You could look at other people descriptions, but you couldn't see their names. (Not the Name lable above their head and not their names in chat. And this was not entirely true, but I think the possibilities to see other characters names were all more or less bugs/things not implemented). This system gave a players the chance to stay anonym and I think it would help with stealing as well.

Beniel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 05:35:19 am »
The problem with the introduction system is that it is very hard to say certain things to strangers. Say you are with a bunch of strangers, and you want to say something to a certain person. In real life, there is no problem saying things to specific people when you do not know their name, but with the introduction system it can be a real pain talking to "somebodys".

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 05:54:27 am »
Well you can use info from their description i.e.
* Mordraugion looks at the Menki in the Dark Hooded cloak and says "would you like a jelly baby?"

oh wait Dark Hooded Cloak thats every char with pretentions of evilness :p
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • ꞆĂ­ꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 07:18:34 am »
No, I was pointing out that the mechanics allow no anonymity.  There's no such thing as a "stranger" in this game, because we're all "identified" at a distance.  That means that, as soon as one commits a crime, and it becomes "public knowledge," anyone can identify the criminal.  Bank robbers and pickpockets, in the real world, don't wear nametags. :)

This kind of "recognition" is OOC, because if you're roleplaying, your toon doesn't "see" the nametag; we pretend that we recognize individuals because of features, clothing, etc.

If there's going to be roleplaying of crime using the current mechanics, the participants must agree not to "see" a nametag that's right there on the screen.  It's kind of hard to force that to happen. :)

Seems to me that you're suggesting treating bad rp with more mechanics. Just teach them how to rp and there would be no need of this discussion.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

freeharte

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 01:24:21 pm »

Seems to me that you're suggesting treating bad rp with more mechanics. Just teach them how to rp and there would be no need of this discussion.

No, I'm just pointing out that the current mechanics work against roleplaying. 

Recently one of my toons, just created, arrived in town and was immediately greeted by a helpful citizen, speaking "in character," who addressed him by name.   ::)  In order for my toon to remain IC, he had to either "ignore" the fact that a seemingly perfect stranger knew his name, or he had to incorporate this bit of contradiction into some kind of imagined "backstory."

Most people don't know how to roleplay at all.  They fail to understand that their character knows his own world, and his own past, perfectly well, but he doesn't know anything at all about the new person he's just meeting.  But at the same time, the game mechanics are working the opposite, keeping simple "common knowledge" details about the environment, government, etc., "secret," while putting helpful labels on everything that can be interacted with.  So they get confused about what their characters should know and not know.

So, in this thieving situation, suppose you RP with somebody that you're a pickpocket, and you've managed to sneak up and grab a couple of coins from him.  That person might be able to shout "Stop, thief!" but the only thing he's going to know about you IC is that he sees an anonymous stranger running away.  He won't be able to tell your name to anybody.  He won't recognize you on the street the next time you meet.

Now, you tell me how many prospective "victims" your pickpocket is going to find - he could make a better living selling rat hides.  :P

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 08:02:02 am »
You guys are limiting too much by mechanics. What if my thief character isn't known as a thief? Will he still be able to be attacked automatically by anyone and everything? What if I am branded a thief? What could possibly stop me stelaing again?

• Have them 'branded' a thief. That character can then never steal again... the rp reason can be whatever

My adaption meant that if a thief wasn't caught they wouldn't be known as a thief. And in answer to your last question is the part of my quote I highlighted. They could have  a glyph placed in them which reacts to one that is put on locks and kept in the wallets and bags of most travelers. Maybe in there could be an expiration date on this glyph or a particularly difficult quest that has someone disable it. Maybe not. Though it does make sense that after the thief is spotted they would have to be caught and brought to the authorities after the person who caught them trying to steal decided they should be punished or branded.
Hide where they expect you to... Its what they least expect.

Vayl

• Wayfarer
  • Dark Intuition
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 06:57:14 pm »
:devil:
:evil: Dakkru's Little Angel :angel:

dragnoor

• Hydlaa Resident
  • -Talad only knows-
    • View Profile
    • nexus of devotion
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 11:08:14 am »
once a "disguise" is worn/used your name (you get the option to choose one), will change for the duration of the outfits influence.
OOC theft isnt legal in PS atm so being IC or OOC just doesnt apply. Once thieving is implemented a Hidden moving thief will choose carefully as once he has grabbed the item he will be revealed and will have to run. I used to cast a summon Deamon spell at this point to create confusion. Would be nice hehe!

Entevir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2009, 11:51:42 am »
Actually. I think its very simple to make this work with the name-tags and give a thief a shot of anonymity without being plainly obvious to the intended victim. Just make a disguise item that will allow a player to change his name for a while (20 minutes maybe).

I can already hear a few complaints about this but remember that the other options are having you known as a thief to all immediately as someone posts a forum message about it or having everyone anonymous (appealing one but I just can't see it working). Any abuse of it is eventual and more often then not will have to be treated with good RP.

Except on the non-RP server. There people can go as wild as they want.
If I stand on the axis of the world will you mind if I say that the world revolves around me ?

dragnoor

• Hydlaa Resident
  • -Talad only knows-
    • View Profile
    • nexus of devotion
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 05:07:39 pm »
No Entevir I agree with you.