Author Topic: Zorbels First Wish  (Read 2341 times)

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
Re: Zorbels First Wish
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 07:05:46 pm »
Quote from: Da_Kaos_Child
just let the players work it out.

Unfortantly that is never going to happen. If you take a look at some of the past threads when players tried to start tournaments, all you will see is useless bickering. Everyone has a point to make, but the problem is we never move beyond those points to common ground where we can agree to just disagree and move on to the fun.

It would be lovely if there were more players who could think (for example) like Proglin did and put together a tournament no matter who argued the way it was set up or how it doesn't jive with settings or whatever the problem maybe. There were many to stand in his way but there were a small amount who stood by him and helped him pull these tournaments off. Without a support system (like Proglin had) I worry that players won't (and obviously haven't) throw tournaments because they feel like they are sticking themselves out in the eye of the entire community and if they mess up or don't listen to those who pick apart the rules then they will be avoided and earn their character a bad name. Or worse yet looked at as a failure.

The players need a leader. This has been my point to this wish all along.  We need someone with the authority to make certain decisions about how it will be run and what players will get out of it. We need someone who demands respect, commands obedience, has power to enforce laws and rules. Most of all someone with experience in holding events and someone who knows the general community.  I hope this happens because I know it would do the game alot of good. Those who were in PlaneShift at the time when Proglin was thowing tournaments frequently saw with their own eyes how well it worked. It will just be one more feature to add to the wonderful world of PlaneShift. A feature that belongs with the world and settings and gives something the players can come to count on. :)
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 08:31:49 pm »
I totally respect Zorbels. Knowing this I will put my two cents in. Years ago the community was different. The role play was somehow different then it is today. The people played together to make things happen in game. Even if there was opposition to a role play it was worked out and done anyway. To be honest it was great fun. I wish that it was like it used to be. We might have been a small group, but we were like family.

Read what Zorbels wrote and know that she is totally one hundred percent correct. These are probably the wisest words ever spoken on the forum.  Maybe you had to be there then to understand how much truth there is in Zorbels' words.

Many great ideas like a tournament will never happen ever again. Things have changed. It is sad.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 08:33:25 pm by Mathy Stockington »
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

Da_Kaos_Child

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 12:17:00 am »
well if that is true

they dont deserve a tournament

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 02:27:40 am »
I really expected this wish to be about me and leather after reading the title but... I digress.

I do agree that this should be up to the players.  They can do it (doesn't mean it's not hard) and most of these regular events should be player run, it's part of the way settings runs PS.  It would just take too much time to organize a tournament and, if I may say so without insulting anybody, whenever the settings team gets involved players tend to attempt to create conspiracy.  They suspect the settings team way too much and it gets in the way.  Before you know it we'd have players demanding that the GM characters be killed for some idiotic reason and a huge mob on our hands :P
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

zorbels

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 05:23:39 pm »
Quote from: Waylander
I really expected this wish to be about me and leather after reading the title but... I digress.

Oh boy ........... figures! :P
* zorbels throws stuffs at Waylander

Quote from: Waylander
I do agree that this should be up to the players. 

@ Everyone: Question ....... what's stopping them?

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 05:25:34 pm by zorbels »

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2008, 11:58:19 am »
The effort. People are used to getting served and acting like customers. No one wants to cook their own food when there is a restaurant right down the road.

The kind of people that put on their own events and do it well are rare.

zorbels

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 02:31:40 pm »
The effort. People are used to getting served and acting like customers. No one wants to cook their own food when there is a restaurant right down the road.

Maybe these players won't because they don't have any examples to learn from. This is what I am starting to think. Sure, the Gm's throw events but do the players get to see the in and outs and how they make the event. No. This is why I am wishing for someone who is offical when it comes to holding tournaments. The community could learn from this person.

I am talking from experience. If I hadn't had Proglin show me how he sets up these events and watch him, his guild and outside supporters ... I don't think I would have known how to set up an event. Further more I don't think I would have had the guts to do it by myself either.  In this community if you don't get it right there are those who crawl from under their rocks and let it be known. I don't think they understand how much they scare away players from even trying. It is quite frustrating to see this done and not be able to stop it.

Quote from: Under the moon
The kind of people that put on their own events and do it well are rare.

I agree. It doesn't have to be that way though. We could change that. I think my wish would at least help some players understand what it takes to throw events.

Elvenspirit

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 10:27:42 pm »
Well my father has run tournaments in card sites, in my opinion you need more than one person dedicated to running a tournament...

We could have weekly (or even daily) tournaments if done correctly... Do not discredit the players please.

The biggest problem is when this was done we all had been in phone contact.... If someone could not make a tournament then all he did was check on messenger then if that did not work he called other TD's till he found someone.

The thing you need to understand though... Any potential TD will need to be TRAINED and one tournament a month would not do for that! ^_^

How had these tournaments been run? All done by hand?

Sorry i do not visit the arena and i am pretty new to planeshift :S

Also depending on how thing's are set up... I could give advice on how to structure thing's?

Edit: Well to be clear on things i am saying i might be able to help organize things at first, what my dad did was run by players (and still exists today even though he retired from it.)

Maybe between me and Zorbels we could get thing's started up? Keep in mind i am not saying you need to run it Zorbels... But i think maybe we could come up with a format of how things should be run (although improvement may need to be made later)

The biggest problem is what i possibly have in mind calls for a limited amount of GM involvement (which may or may not be a problem), not by running the tournament but... At the very least some form of structure could be made.

Now the difference i see in this is that there could be so many different event types made to be run by players if only we had the structure... Hunt's - Tournaments - Festivals (Planeshift holidays and the sort?) A similar structure (on the TD end anyway) for all of these events will be key to making it that a group of people could easily switch roles when needed correct?

No matter how good someone is at something... A single person doing something is always more taxing on a person's abilities than a group correct?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 11:06:19 pm by Elvenspirit »

zorbels

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2008, 08:03:33 pm »
Quote from: Elvenspirit
We could have weekly (or even daily) tournaments if done correctly... Do not discredit the players please.

Running a tournament weekly and/or daily is completely not possible in my opinion. Not if you want it to have some what of a good tournament with stuff for everyone to do.

As for discrediting the players ... I think your misunderstanding me. Nothing can be further from the truth. I am trying to encourage people to take action and do something about this. Apparently from this thread and its lack of interest I am beginning to wonder if PlaneShift really has changed and if most of the players just want everything done for them like Underthemoon stated earlier. I remember when players actually made these things happen rather than waiting on the Gm's to have events.

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2008, 08:40:27 pm »
Quote from: Elvenspirit

Running a tournament weekly and/or daily is completely not possible in my opinion. Not if you want it to have some what of a good tournament with stuff for everyone to do.

As for discrediting the players ... I think your misunderstanding me. Nothing can be further from the truth. I am trying to encourage people to take action and do something about this. Apparently from this thread and its lack of interest I am beginning to wonder if PlaneShift really has changed and if most of the players just want everything done for them like Underthemoon stated earlier. I remember when players actually made these things happen rather than waiting on the Gm's to have events.

Please do not get discouraged Zorbels. I was really hoping you would help make things better. PS needs you!!
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

zorbels

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2008, 08:56:43 pm »
Quote from: Mathy Stockington
Please do not get discouraged Zorbels. I was really hoping you would help make things better. PS needs you!!

Oh hell no! Not getting discouraged. Unfortantly tournaments are not my bag.  I was hoping this thread might start something like "hey that's a great idea!" or "Let's do it!" or some sort of reaction. It is clear to me that both the PlaneShift staff and players don't share any interest in this wish. Perhaps one day they will.

Thanks to all of your for responding.  :)

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2008, 09:16:18 pm »
(...) I was hoping this thread might start something like "hey that's a great idea!" or "Let's do it!" or some sort of reaction. It is clear to me that both the PlaneShift staff and players don't share any interest in this wish. Perhaps one day they will.(...)

The Octarchal tournament took place shortly before your wish was posted. ;) Of course GMs are interested in seeing more tournaments taking place. We'll throw them when we get a chance but I still think players should give it a try since they already have everything they need to be behind this kind of event. Not only can it be a fine activity to get your guild's name around but it can also give you good experience if you ever want to apply to the GM team.

zorbels

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2008, 11:15:59 pm »
Due to me not being in game at this time, I have talked with some members of PlaneShift who play often enough to keep updated on the events held in PlaneShift, so that I can keep updated on the game. I also did a search on the forums for tournaments I came of with very few. This is why I am under the impression that tournaments don't happen so much. Am I misinformed? :S 

Quote from: Dajoji
The Octarchal tournament took place shortly before your wish was posted. ;) Of course GMs are interested in seeing more tournaments taking place. We'll throw them when we get a chance.

;D Ha ha ha, of course! Awesome, I hope that tournament turned out well. :) I know the Gm team tries to host many events including tournaments. You guys work hard!

Quote from: Dajoji
...... but I still think players should give it a try since they already have everything they need to be behind this kind of event. Not only can it be a fine activity to get your guild's name around but it can also give you good experience if you ever want to apply to the GM team.

I think that is what players need, to have the benefits pointed out to them from time to time. Perhaps that will encourage more player events? Not sure, but I wish the players would speak up. I still think the lack of events on the players part has alot to do with not really knowing how to go about an event. I suppose you can read about it on the forums, but it would be interesting to have a certain "character" for lack of a better word to be a guide/teacher. Helping the players improve or feel comfortable with throwing events would certainly help the GM team have plenty of applicants. :P

Too add more to Dajoji and his quote above, it is also the type of event that gives back. :D People will appreciate the hard work and thank you. In return you will feel a sense of accomplishment and pride.

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 09:53:04 am »
Your wish is partially granted. I have come across a guild trying to host a tournament... they are working on flyers in-game, but have been directing people to the following website for details:

http://www.warfrican.com/

I believe the official tournament is going to be held on 1 Dec 2008. Spread the word.

(no, I am not a memeber of this guild, nor do I know any of the players behind the tournament. Just thought a shameless plug couldn't hurt in an area where people really want to see this type of activity in-game.)