Author Topic: Duel messages  (Read 3570 times)

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Duel messages
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 07:28:56 pm »
I think I understood what my options are. I just want to know what is the best way to submit a feature request.

Zontick

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 07:58:00 pm »
What now?  -  I'll put in my two cents in.  :)

I'm fine with not being "warned" if I get attacked from behind or even face to face, if there was some sort of balance and defense in the game.  So if someone comes up behind my character, they should have to roll twice, once that they surprise my character, and another that they hit my character.  If they pass both of those, then with a bonus to hit, they'd carry out their attack, and as my character has failed to show better reactions then the attacker, I shouldn't get the message to allow me to hit my keyboard and mouse fast enough to dodge the attack.

Concur.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 09:17:42 pm »
I was just going to say, what if someone wants to be sneaky?  People usually have auto-accept on because they think it serves realism.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 09:19:23 pm by zanzibar »
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Bamko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 06:59:15 am »
Almost didnt reply to this, but several points I think may have value. 

First, if you don't want to be attacked while AFK or while deep in chat, or crafting even, turn auto-accept off.  I know it seems less realistic, but after all, is that NOT what it is for?

Not that I want to be attacked at every turn, but I can not think of a time I did not accept a challenge... when I am present to do so.  If I step away for a min and my characters are... meditating, well, that would hardly be Incharacter for a very low level person to kill him with 40 hits... while I sit there.

In any event.  About HOW to get something implemented.  Probably could be its own thread.  I know you all know this, but let me be clear.  There are a lot of people playing, and a few dedicated people developing.  They are, I am sure bombarded with ideas that may be good in a game, but may not match their vision for THIS one.  Want it implemented?  I would first discuss it with a few people, make sure you are not alone in your desire.  Then perhaps talk to any devs you know, if applicable, just to see if already in the works,  or how much resistance there is to it.  If you get something like "yeah, great idea.... for another game.. it won't happen here" then you might want to save some time and effort.  Remember it is Talad's garden, and he is nice enough to let us play in it, and even lets us offer suggestions of what to plant, but ultimately, his decision is final, followed closely by the devs themselves.

So, what next?  Well, they have literally an infinite number of tasks to do, so I would add as a feature request (and with even minor dev knowledge, I find those do not get deleted as much, as long as you do not hear the "not gonna happen". and then post a thread in this forum, and try to get support for it.  Even if the devs agree in theory, you need to get community support AND a champion for the project to increase the likelyhood of it happening soon.  With one bug that affected a small number of players, I had to talk to people for months, many forum posts, ingame, and then IRC to a newer dev, who used his expertise to look into the issues and the code, and post in bugtracker, then it was a few short days before it was figured out, and the next update, it was fixed.  Time to get problem looked at?  About 3 months of about an hour a week effort.  (don't be too much of a pain, has a negative effect, remember, their garden, not yours)  Time to get it figured out and fixed, about an hour.  Having bug fixed.   Worth it to me, though I only met a few others ingame that it affected, I am sure it affected others...

This topic, of how to get things done came up a lot when I was involved in volunteer leadership... Outline as follows.

Get idea
Flesh out idea with friends
feasability study (see if already planned, if there is little, no or negative interest in it from those who would have to be involved)
Build support (yes, talk to people, A line I used a lot was "Mind over matter, if no one minds, it don't matter"  Limited resources esp time, you know.)
recruit a Champion (someone who can help from the inside, this may include you becoming an insider... Join the Dev team?)
Assist in the implementation.

Also, if they do not want it implemented, you may have to implement it yourself.  I was unhappy with not being able to have links to threads and ps wiki saved ingame so you could drop links to OOC questions quickly, and their URLs are ugly, so I made the Yliakum Visitor's Bureau (www.yliakum.com) Note, that is not to replace this or the wiki, but to help people with simple things and forward them to those links easier.   Or you may want to find some other devs or dev resource to put your suggestion.  Though I don't think I ever had an idea that no one else had, at least regarding game design, you may even want to get into game development yourself.  Seems like too much work for me.  :D

heh, back to work.

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 08:24:07 am »
Not that I want to be attacked at every turn, but I can not think of a time I did not accept a challenge... when I am present to do so.  If I step away for a min and my characters are... meditating, well, that would hardly be Incharacter for a very low level person to kill him with 40 hits... while I sit there.
This is what I do and what I think most people do at the moment. However, when my char is surrounded by a group of attackers, I turn auto-accept on. Also, there are PvP areas in which roleplay is difficult.

Thanks for your proposals on how to proceed. I expected something from somone official, but until now I think this is the best idea and until we get no official reply, we could all stick to it.
Get idea
I am full of them.
Flesh out idea with friends
I did and usually do. I even want to extend the discussion on forums/bugtracker.
feasability study (see if already planned, if there is little, no or negative interest in it from those who would have to be involved)
see above
Build support (yes, talk to people, A line I used a lot was "Mind over matter, if no one minds, it don't matter"  Limited resources esp time, you know.)
I did and do. Most times I ask people to read my forum/bugtracker entries and if they like it, they can vote for it.
recruit a Champion (someone who can help from the inside, this may include you becoming an insider... Join the Dev team?)
From what I heard, there are strict requirements to join the team. This and lack of time prevents me from joining. And who do you think of when using the term 'champion'?.
Assist in the implementation.
see above. I might try but could only help as testing the feature out. I might also find more players to help with it.