Author Topic: Any tips for the sticky road?  (Read 1970 times)

gracecamel

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Any tips for the sticky road?
« on: January 27, 2009, 05:23:40 pm »
Does anyone have tips for the stickiness of the Oja road?
If I'm out walking alone this doesn't really bother me, but the last 2 days some nice players have offered to show me new places and I have had trouble keeping up with them due to the fact I keep getting stuck. In the end I have had to make IC excuses (my claws need clipping or my paws are all sticky), thank them for their time, and suggest they continue on without me. It's becoming both frustrating and embarrassing.  :'(
I have highish endurance but that is not meaning a lot at the moment when I keep having to twist and turn my way along the road just to get any distance covered.
Any helpful tips would be much appreciated  :)

Edit: 03/02/09
Haven't been able to get hubby to do much for me compiling-wise, we have some missing libraries or some such, and collapsing global economy is more important. I have however discovered that if I run along about halfway up the hillsides I have no stickiness problem :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:21:50 pm by gracecamel »

nerdful1

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Any tips for the sticky road?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 07:10:53 pm »
Just last night, I appreciated that I could run without turning and jumping every few feet, and could put my mouse down and pick up my glass of icewater, or at least shift positions in my chair. Helps on the RPI prevention.
I run both Linux and MS based PS. Both have problems of their own, but running a windows PS under Linux using WINE makes for a smooth reliable game. I'd still rather play under a native Linux install of course, but the game is unplayable otherwise. In Windows Vista, I jumped some hoops and fixed a few things, but still some problems with graphics.
I just am saying this is solution that works for me, and until someone mentions it, I forgot the annoying sticking on paths. The crashing sort of took more of my attention.  See my post under Linux specific issues forum. Here is where Linux is an indirect cure to a windows app. Most likely I just lucked out with my hardware.
Don't forget to keep those claws clipped, especially in the tall grass entering the library district :)

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 02:41:25 am »
Hello

I also heard running ps under wine (don't misunderstand this...) is a solution - there is also a thread with a detailed explanation in the forum. http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=34429.0
Another solution is to compile the client yourself (also mentioned in that thread) - therefore #planeshift-build on irc.freenode.net would be a good point to start.

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

gracecamel

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 03:51:13 am »
Thanks Sen, I sent a PM to nerdful1 explaining that I had tried to run the windows version through WINe, only thing I succeeded in doing with that was really annoy my husband by using up all the bandwidth for the month. 3 PS downloads in a week does not make for a happy hubby :(
He's a programmer but unfortunately  too busy to compile me a fully functional game, barely lets me kick him off his computer for a couple of hours a day so I can join the community.

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 04:37:05 am »
rebuild with -O0

Rigwyn

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 09:35:10 pm »
when you say to rebuild with -O0, does this pertain to cs, planeshift, and cal3d ?
Also whats the best way to do this ? is there an argument than can be passed to jam or configure ? or should i replace all -O[1-3] in the make file with -O0 ?

thanks.

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 01:10:40 am »
when you say to rebuild with -O0, does this pertain to cs, planeshift, and cal3d ?
Also whats the best way to do this ? is there an argument than can be passed to jam or configure ? or should i replace all -O[1-3] in the make file with -O0 ?

thanks.
all altough cs should be enough. i usually edit the jamconfig files.

Rigwyn

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 04:53:01 am »
that worked - thanks.

making the following change to cs/Jamconfig and recompiling cs alone worked.

gracecamel

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 06:58:47 am »
Thanx to all who sent me info on this :) My hubby has finally done the compiling and let me use his machine for a few hours to test it out, it works great. No crashing, no sticky roads, and the graphics are much crisper and clearer.
Now anyone have any hints on how I can get him to let me use his machine more often  :P

Bamko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 08:48:35 am »
well, I ended up getting my wife her own computer for her camera stuff (she didn't want internet access, though I bought a wireless router... she said the internet was too much a distraction while she was working on her photography...hehehe)

They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, but I am a better cook than any woman I have ever dated, and my wife, well, lets just say she can now make microwave popcorn, as long as I dont change brands on her...

There are many ways to get him to let you use his machine.

Encourage him to do a poker night weekly, or go out with freinds for something, like a game... around here a lot of meetings, like at the local mini-brewry they have a "Code & Beer Bash" every month.

lots of ideas.  My wife often tapes sports events I would like to watch, then pops in the tape when we sit down for dinner, by the time she is done eating, I am watching the main event, and she slinks over to the computer for a little surf'n.

Or she can send me out to do some work around the house, or even go help my dad on his farm.

<thinking about it, she has me pretty well figured out, eh?   ::|  >

or you can just make him sleepy  :whistling:

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 03:13:25 pm »
When building your own client, use CS 1.4 branch, revision 32139. It appears the random crashes that it is supposed to solve may also get rid of the sticky ground.

edit:
Oops. That revision was for trunk. For stable use CS1.4 revision 32140. Sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 05:45:50 am by Lanarel »

nerdful1

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 04:11:25 pm »
I just built with 32140, and the road to Oja is very bad.
Built using the generic Linux build, Nvidia geforce 6200. When run on Wine long ago using Windows binary d/l everything was smooth.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 04:59:25 pm »
did you build in debug or not? [--enable-debug when you configured]

nerdful1

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 06:58:04 pm »
I followed the guide at the tiny url in the irc topic. I used the generic Linux guide, but also installed the files and  libraries equivalent to the apt-get batch shown for the Ubuntu build. I then installed the art from the latest windows binary d/l, plus the launcher art you mentioned. Until I tried the Oja road, everything looked great with no crashes. I do notice a lot of "could not load, no submesh, moving to temporary sector  stuff in the term as I'm walking.
So where in the build process should I add the debug argument?
Thanks, Caarie.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 07:12:20 pm »
the ./configure line for both ps and cs