Author Topic: Weekly roleplay lessons  (Read 2938 times)

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly roleplay lessons
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2009, 09:29:25 am »
I ask again; what kind of role play are the players looking for? I thought Xillix and others had great ideas in that other thread.
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2009, 09:44:49 am »
Mathy please stop repeating yourself ad infinitum, express your own ideas if you must but constantly asking for others to do what you can't or won't is rather boring
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Dalgin Xawanda

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2009, 04:04:23 pm »
I ask again; what kind of role play are the players looking for? I thought Xillix and others had great ideas in that other thread.

Well, as anyone who reads or acts knows, plot arises from conflict.  So, I think the same applies to role play.  It can get boring if two friends just discuss what they've been up to day after day.  What really gets interesting is opposition, hatred, criminal activity, ect.  For example, the Outlaws have established a bad relationship with the Woiperdinger and Organization guilds.  This happened as a result of some sort of criminal activity by the Outlaws onto the other guilds, and now, the Outlaws had better watch out so that they aren't recognized by Woiperdinger or Organization members.  So, there is a constant level of threat, and encouragement to keep a low profile and a masked face.

When I say conflict, I don't mean constant tournaments.  If you read a book, you wouldn't want to hear about a tournament and nothing else.  If you do have a tournament, for example, maybe there is a rivalry that will face off, or behind the scenes gambling, or a match is rigged.  Role play events can be planned out.  When you go on a trip, you know where you're going, but you don't know what's on the way.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2009, 04:15:53 pm »

Well, as anyone who reads or acts knows, plot arises from conflict.  So, I think the same applies to role play.  It can get boring if two friends just discuss what they've been up to day after day.  What really gets interesting is opposition, hatred, criminal activity, ect.  For example, the Outlaws have established a bad relationship with the Woiperdinger and Organization guilds.  This happened as a result of some sort of criminal activity by the Outlaws onto the other guilds, and now, the Outlaws had better watch out so that they aren't recognized by Woiperdinger or Organization members.  So, there is a constant level of threat, and encouragement to keep a low profile and a masked face.

When I say conflict, I don't mean constant tournaments.  If you read a book, you wouldn't want to hear about a tournament and nothing else.  If you do have a tournament, for example, maybe there is a rivalry that will face off, or behind the scenes gambling, or a match is rigged.  Role play events can be planned out.  When you go on a trip, you know where you're going, but you don't know what's on the way.

Personal conflicts are just one (small) kind of conflict.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.