Author Topic: PvP the reality in PS  (Read 1478 times)

dragnoor

• Hydlaa Resident
  • -Talad only knows-
    • View Profile
    • nexus of devotion
PvP the reality in PS
« on: August 09, 2009, 03:47:54 am »
PvP isnt what PS is about thats for sure. However the contingent within PS whom adore such gaming practices are increasing in influence & numbers. So much so their voices can no longer be ignored. This post isnt about Rp vs PL. Its about Player versus Player combat.
There are two main PvP catagorys : Magic & weapons. Or indeed both!

The Weapons catagory of combat is governed entirely by latency. The player with the lowest ping has a massive advantage. This issue MUST be made a level playing field. Group Combat is almost impossible. Confusing & full of bugs. Till these issues are fixed I see no sense in partaking.

The Magic catagory does not suffer from lag. Initially yes, but after a few seconds its a level playing field. And the demise of one opponant depends on what spell is used & the amount of "Pottys" each has. There lies the problem. But I digress. We all know the magic system will be radically altered at some point. Quite how & what the devs plan is open to debate. All I ask is an update. Let us know what is being planned ?
So lets have some ideas of how to fix these issues... And perhaps a post from "High up", giving some clues as to fixing what to me, are the most serious bugs in the game.

thob

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: PvP the reality in PS
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 04:53:12 am »
I agree Dragnoor, there could be some changes.

"However the contingent within PS whom adore such gaming practices are increasing in influence & numbers."
Unfortunately, yes. Not that I hate them all, but most of them do not care about Rp, dont care about the place where they fight and dont care if there are guards or somethting like this.

"This post isnt about Rp vs PL. Its about Player versus Player combat." No.
Sure it is. Everything is about Pl vs. Rp. Cause improving the PvP system will 'help' these OOC-PvP-fanatics. Their number will increase again and we have a big problem.

Do we really want this?

I do not!

Thob

-Just a little piece of worst case-
Thob Ciscon, Crafter and Merchant for crafted Weapons.
Proud member of The Woiperdinger and the Merchantile Order of Commerce!

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 06:13:16 am »
In the 5 years I've been playing PS PvP has always been a big issue usually accompanied by some of the most vocal of Players, and imho there are no more now than when I started and maxed players would stand around the single spawn point at Harns and pwn the newbs.
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 11:58:36 am »
Sure it is. Everything is about Pl vs. Rp. Cause improving the PvP system will 'help' these OOC-PvP-fanatics. Their number will increase again and we have a big problem.

Actually it really isn't. One thing I dislike about the PvP system is that whole lag factor dragnoor mentions. I've only ever found one player with lag worst than mine (and he stopped playing but his lag would make him spend every period logged on in Kadas  ;D ) and with that as such a big factor I would never bother with PvP.

Plus, PvP relies little on anything but a players individual skill....There could be some changes made that would not only make the PvP system better but help blur the lines between the PL vs Rp argument and help it go away....
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

dragnoor

• Hydlaa Resident
  • -Talad only knows-
    • View Profile
    • nexus of devotion
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 05:14:23 pm »
As PL Advocate I agree with last post. Lets get anything going that'll blend us both. We do actually need one another. I stopped flaming rp'ers ages ago. Time now for us all to work for a game we can all enjoy. Oh...And its the Pit now we PWN hehe. You wanna see my collection of unique magic helms....  :)

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 09:06:32 pm »
In the 5 years I've been playing PS PvP has always been a big issue usually accompanied by some of the most vocal of Players, and imho there are no more now than when I started and maxed players would stand around the single spawn point at Harns and pwn the newbs.

Mordraugion is right, two-three years ago this was more of an occurence than now.

As for the idea that suddenly PvP'ers numbers are growing & spouting from every pot-hole is fanciful to say the least. Two-three years ago PvP was a integral part of most roleplay's I was in. Players constantly dueled in the Death Realm. Believe it when I say; PvP fanatics aren't suddenly taking over.