Poll

Do you think we're ready for a wipe?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Wipe y/n?  (Read 26891 times)

Caira

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Wipe y/n?
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2009, 01:56:38 am »
and DOX will miss it's guild-house for sure. :(
there are people with no guildhouse at all

there are, but technically they don't have a guild-house to miss ;)
prolix, thats a really great idea :] and hopefully saves a lot of worries!

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2009, 02:01:32 am »
It seems to me that you should wipe EZPC and open the new client on it for 6 months or so before doing anything with Laanx. That will allow for ramped up load on ezpc to expose new bugs that need to be fixed and time to decide how much of Laanx's user state to preserve.
Hah you're just upset because my guild has a house and yours does not.

I say the converse; wipe Fragnetics and leave EZ-PC alone.  That way people who don't want to intermingle with the RPers will migrate over without everyone on the shard being completely new.

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2009, 02:55:38 am »
Wipe. Definitely.

For those of you still screaming "MY PRECIOUS!" - take a break from PS. You might just find you're not as attached to your characters when you come back.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2009, 03:19:37 am »
and DOX will miss it's guild-house for sure. :(
there are people with no guildhouse at all

there are, but technically they don't have a guild-house to miss ;)
or they miss it before hand because they want it? :)

jaculapundactum

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2009, 03:21:20 am »
I'd say my characters abilities are as big of a part of him as his back story. I have trained countless hours to master certain skills, now when i have trained everything I need however I don't train anymore. Hence I role play instead, I think a wipe would do more damage than good at this point, why?

When it all comes down to it we would lose a lot of good players, to be honest I would consider leaving myself. And in my opinion, the PS community is already fragile as it is.  :-\

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2009, 03:29:37 am »
I think this post is not meant to be serious.
The plebs always should be busy, you know?  ;)

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2009, 03:58:05 am »
The whining over lost items, stats and skills due to a wipe unnecessarily prolong the necessary.

Whether the wipe happens at this exact moment in time, at the next update's release, a year, or at the 1.0 release client; the complaints and arguments shall remain similiar and not change. The safety of the database, the consistency of the server's security and the amount of dangerous exploits, hacks and misues do.

Those that play the game for it's intended purposes will not leave. Those that do not may. Those that deeply miss their achievements in events, and leveling stats and skills may be disgruntled and discomforted; yet if they play for the right reasons this will not be the deciding factor in their leaving.

The PS community shall not be cut, spliced, bashed, battered or tarnished. The community will receive a typical fresh start outlook on their player experiences.

I am not an angel, and the thought of my work in skills being wiped annoys me. That's clearly going to happen with anyone. Live with it, here's a hankerchief weepy  :'(.

jaculapundactum

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2009, 04:10:59 am »
"Those that play the game for it's intended purposes will not leave."

So since I will consider leaving, I'm not playing the game like it should be played? to me games are about entertainment, as is the role-playing within it. Though if you have achieved some kind of divine insight of "how things should be, and how PS should be played" then by all means, enlighten me.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2009, 05:40:14 am »
I do not care if another misinterprets what I stand by to create a pointless argument. I ignore individual angst over losing personal work in respective characters and acknowledge the good achieved as a whole community.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 05:43:52 am by bloodedIrishman »

Rigwyn

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2009, 05:50:14 am »

The fun of developing and gathering has been spoiled.
Might as well just wipe at this point.

Oromir

• Traveller
  • In game now as Oromenci.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2009, 08:47:00 am »
Yes, a wipe is sorely needed. The amount of "dead" accounts and characters in the db at the moment is unreal, plus the game is getting very unbalanced stats-wise at the moment. Not just that, but if what I hear is correct, then the next version of the game will format the db in a slightly different way, and the overall alterations coming up are probably going to be huge anyway.

The only thing I would request is Reserving of Established Guildnames. To qualify, the guild should have been active for more than 3 months, and still be completely active ingame, with the leader having been recorded as logging in at least twice in the month prior to the wipe. After the wipe, the Guildname is then put on "reserve" for 3 months, so if the leader returns and re-creates their guild, they can have the name back without arguments. Also, should the guildleader choose not to return, but they know former members wish to re-establish the guild, they can contact a GM and have them handover leadership status to whomever is suitable.

It was already my plan to start a new char even if a wipe wasn't done, deleting my old chars, so I could start afresh with the new quest system, as I like to think that I am primarily a quester.

Elady

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2009, 08:51:55 am »
Personally when the wipe happens I know that I will be doing very little  RP'ing and go back to heavy leveling for a long time. A lot of my current RP revolves around being a good cook. That is kind of hard to do if I can't cook anything.  That means back t the mine and grind for me until I have my levels back to where I can play the type of character I want I would guess that a wipe would mean the end of the Stonehead for quite a while until people can get their levels back in cooking.  I don't think there would be much happening at the Outpost since it would take most people to long just to get out there ( until they have leveled their endurance enough to get out to the outpost in a reasonable time). ow much will the game lose, not just in the sense of the special shinies that people have acquired over time but in the sense of the things like the Stonehead, the outpost and RP in general that has developed because of how people have developed their characters?

Nathor Mirthor

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2009, 09:26:15 am »
I have learned time will fix most anything.
Lets just wait it out it may be worth it.

neko kyouran

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2009, 10:05:45 am »
My personal opinion,

wiping is sanitary.

;D

PhoenixRizin

• Hydlaa Resident
  • The end is important in all things
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2009, 11:02:54 am »
If there is a wipe, how about giving the older players 3 maxed skills? They can choose which ones are essential to the char and max those, and then grind the rest as needed. So for instance since I RP a swordsman and blacksmith I would max swords, smithing, and metallurgy. A magician might max 3 of the ways of magic. Etc. I think it will keep the character descriptions consistent and give a reward for those who have been part of the community for a long time.

Also, perhaps players should be allowed to keep any quests and quest items they have finished, and if they have winch access they should keep that as well.

So...not a complete wipe, but a balanced one, and maybe a fair one. Comments?
"Just give me a wench an' a brew!" -The Remyl