Author Topic: exhaustion  (Read 3044 times)

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: exhaustion
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2010, 09:56:51 pm »
Fair enough weltal yes a trepor isnt worth 10PPs but a rat is worth 1PP, a rogues about 2 or 3 depends some are harder than others. A trepor 3. Im lvl 50 sword and it takes me 2-3 hits to kill one. Dont know if that has changed.

You dont want players training, then dont make the best way to get PP if you are able to kill tough mobs.
It seems that everythiing isnt stable like it use to be. The whole tria is going to have a crash soon with everything selling so cheep to NPCs. Wow the economy crises has reached PS :P

And then the PP system is going to have more problems.

Everything will need to be exactly equal in both tria and PP if you want variety in PS. Its most ovious no one will mine anymore. But someone will find a secret way to get tria fast without training and then boom its like mining platinum again. Over and over it goes... I know a way but i ant telling, dont even know if it will still work.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2010, 01:05:53 am »
Vakachehk, weltall's point is that higher level characters will only get 1PP fro a Trepor, whereas newbs get 10.

It's like WoW, you get less or no XP from monsters that are much weaker than you.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 05:34:16 am »
Ohhhhhhhh right now that made sence.

So is there a sertain point were it just dies to 1 or does it slowly drop or what?
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 05:41:22 am »
slowly it's based on your char characteristics and mob ones

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 01:35:40 am »
Reading all of these arguments-->laughing-->bruised lungs.  ;D

-sig by sarras

fretlon

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 12:27:23 pm »
Let me jump in just to say that a couple of years ago I found PS.

Just so you know my background and know that I have no problem sticking with a MMORPG, I played everquest from 2000 through 2006. Just so you know I'm not afraid of a challenge, I played most of that time on Sullon Zek, which was the NO RULES pvp server where you could be killed and griefed (corpse camping, etc) with no recourse from the admins. In that environment, I played a cleric.. Without a doubt, one of the weakest pvp classes you could be. I worked my way up to become a mainstay in the largest and most successful guild (and we ensured we stayed that way through force :devil:) on the server until Sony shut it down.

I'm not adverse to a challenge, and having put well over 8000 hours into my character in that game, I'm not very adverse to grinding to progress in a game..

Having said all that, I created a character on PS, as did my wife, and my best friend.. All of whom also came from Sullon Zek..

We tried to stick with PS.. Really.. I wanted this to be our new home as I'm very much an open source/free software advocate. I really enjoyed the premise of PS, and the game mechanics overall were promising. The problem, and what drove us to abandon PS, was exhaustion. 

We have no problem with running around large areas and questing, obviously, but the fun of exploring and doing virtually ANYTHING in PS was completely sapped out by having to rest for 5-10 minutes for every 1 minute we moved. We all created our characters in different ways, and I spent several weeks working on nothing else but trying to get my character to a point where it wouldn't exhaust after moving distances measurable in yards with a light load.. I focused on that goal over anything else, including fighting ability, magic ability, etc.. All I invested in was stats to reduce the effects of exhaustion.. My best friend also did the same. We abandoned the game when we decided the tedium caused by 1 single feature of the game, exhaustion, made the game so unenjoyable and flat out BORING that it wasn't worth trying to play anymore.

I've checked back every few months in the hopes that the developers would come to their senses and remove that ridiculous feature. Alas, I'm still waiting. I firmly believe that exhaustion presents a HUGE barrier to entry for the vast majority of players, even those players who are accustomed to enduring some pretty serious tedium. I went through some serious tedium in EQ (36 hours straight to camp 1 single part of my epic weapon quest) but that was tedium endured to achieve a specific goal. It may have taken 30 minutes to an hour of running in EQ to move from place to place (back in the day) but it was tolerable because you were at least moving. Taking just 15 minutes to move from one place to another is thoroughly intolerable when 10 of those minutes is spent sitting on your butt trying to find something in the room to occupy your attention because your character can't walk across the street without being crippled from exhaustion.

If this "feature" can drive away the likes of us, who have a track record of investing obscene amounts of time into long and boring quests and experience grinds while constantly under threat of being ambushed by other players, then it's a definite show stopper for large numbers of people who are less likely to endure such pains.

I understand the desire for realism (though the realism of people who lived in an environment without cars and mainly got around on foot becoming exhausted to the point of being unable to move from running across a small courtyard is in question to me), but to destroy the fun of the game in that quest is ultimately self-defeating. THIS IS A GAME. It's first priority is to be fun, and having to stop and stare at a wall or twiddle thumbs every minute you're moving somewhere isn't fun.

I'll keep checking back in hopes that one day I'll see a post proclaiming this ball and chain on the game has been removed.

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 12:34:28 pm »
We abandoned the game when we decided the tedium caused by 1 single feature of the game, exhaustion, made the game so unenjoyable and flat out BORING that it wasn't worth trying to play anymore.

something to note about exhaustion: the stamina drain while walking *heavily* depends on how much you carry around. if you just carry around what you need atm and keep the rest in the great new storage, you can do very long trips without getting exhausted at all, even if you just started, so it won't be really recognizable at all.
however if you carry around as much as you can, even with maxed out stats your stamina will drain heavily and you'll have to rest rather often.

Imo it's more an issue of not being used to that. e.g. in most mmos you just carry around as much as you can. this isn't very wise in PS, just like several other things commonly done in other mmos. after all, PS is somewhat different ;)

fretlon

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2010, 01:15:45 pm »
As I mentioned, we even tried it with light loads. Plus, if you venture out of a city just a little and kill some monsters and gather some loot, being punished by having to stop 20 times and take an hour or more just to haul a little loot back to storage isn't worth it either.

I'm not totally against the idea of exhaustion, just it's current implementation.

IMO you shouldn't be able to be exhausted while carrying less than half your maximum weight load. Above that, exhaustion should exponentially get worse as you approach your maximum load. At it's worst, while still under the weight limit, it should probably be about equal to what it was for no load at all that I experienced when playing(last time I played was 1.5 years ago, and that was ridiculous). That still gives incentive to keep the weight low, while not totally crippling you while carrying near your max load if you choose to do so. Above your weight limit, exhaustion should get logarithmically worse, and maximum movement speed should decrease exponentially.

I think that scenario would still represent some amount of realism, while not destroying the fun factor. I don't play computer games to simulate sitting on my butt for no good reason.. I can do that without a game.

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2010, 01:24:40 pm »
And do it with the game actually, too  ;)
Im only getting exhausted when Im heavy loaded (Ehm.. you know what I mean...). Im below 100 with the endurance and the bar usually doesn't even show any effect from running.
It might look different if you want to run around with heavy armor all the time though; I don't know about that.

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2010, 02:07:14 pm »
i remember hearing that during the american civil war, soldiers would run nonstop all day long, even carrying heavy equipment like rifles. even i can run longer than my PS character, and i've never had endurance training irl. PS seems to think your average citizen of Yliakum is the average couch potato. the people of yliakum should naturally be fit to run long distances given they probably do a lot of foot travelling. they don't have cars or trains or buses. they shouldn't even worry about endurance training. stamina should only be important in fighting.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2010, 04:50:38 pm »
In the past, combinations of character-creation detail and server communication created situations where endurance would deplete in an erroneously fast manner. There may be yet unknown conditions that also affect this. A discussion such as this is essentially valueless without knowing what type of situation re 1) client installation details, 2) tcp/ip connection details and 3) character numbers we are talking about; stats, inventory, et cetera. Also remember that how you allocate CP during creation is meant to create trade offs in capabilities. That all being said, the basic numbers could probably be bumped at least 5-10% without creating too much of an imbalance in things.

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2010, 08:08:02 pm »
Something sounds off if you were having to rest that much Fretion. I have a character with an 80 endurance and a 150 strength. He has about 28 weight on him and he can go from Oja to Hydlaa with only one stop and even then that stop is less than a minute. I can go form Gug to Hydlaa with no stops, unless I am using a mount. With relaxing sleep recovery is even faster. I have seen no reason to train endurance because I have to stop and rest so rarely.

Aurelynt

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2010, 08:46:36 pm »
I agree with Sarva. The situation you describe is pretty much surprising ! This shouldn't happen anymore with the changes that were introduced in 0.5.
Can you provide the stats of your characters and the weight they were carrying so I can make some tests and see if something's wrong?

fretlon

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2010, 10:39:16 pm »
I had noted in a previous post that it has been at least 1.5 years since I last played. The behavior I described is what I and my friends experienced then. I have not logged in under any recent versions to see what changes have been made. I hadn't seen any outward signs the core problem had been addressed so I hadn't tried it..

I just installed and tested, and at about 70% capacity (what I had on my character when I logged out 1.5 years ago) I was able to run from one side of the city to the other before getting exhausted. I will say this, the speed that stamina is recovered has drastically improved. I was full within 1 minute. While I would still call it quite an annoyance, it may be tolerable since the price is right.. I'll try to get my wife to see if she can deal with it or not.