Poll

Who/What does your character worship or follow?

Laanx
Talad
Dakkru
Xiosia
Blackflame
Atheist

Author Topic: Character Worship Poll  (Read 2969 times)

Ralas

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Explorers Guild
    • View Profile
    • Reincrownation :D
Re: Character Worship Poll
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 02:21:43 am »
Atheist now as in he fears and respects all of the gods too much to risk alienating any by worshiping the wrong one.  In the future he may turn to Dakkru or Xiosa, though.  I do have a bf alt, but i don't feel like i know enough about the bf to try RP'ing him.
Yliakum, a really big crystal. These are the voyages of the Explorers Guild.  Its ongoing mission: to explore strange new maps, to seek out new life and new NPCs.  To boldly glitch where no one has glitched before.

www.reincrownation.com :D

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 05:43:56 pm »
I wouldn't say it greys out the texture Rigwyn...

In PlaneShift, the different gods aren't like Islam vs. Odin, but rather more like Zeus vs. Athena... that is to say, the following of each god doesn't deny the existence of the other gods, but rather, the are simply more dedicated to one over the other.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 07:53:20 pm »
akaiddo, athena respects zeus. he's the big honcho god and her father. in yliakum, the relationships between the gods are completely different. the gods conflict and even hate each other. that's also true sometimes in greek myth, but i'm not sure greek myth and ylaikum's religions are comparable.

btw odin isn't a religion.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 07:57:52 pm »
Actually, worship of Odin is referred to as Odinism and it does count as a religion. The Greek gods had very intense and dysfunctional relationships as well.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 08:21:34 pm »
exactly, verden, but odin is a god, not a religion. and yes, the greek gods did, but that doesn't mean they're similar to yliakum's gods. afaik there's no order between yliakum's gods. there's no hierarchy. they also don't have much interaction with mortals.

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2009, 04:20:22 am »
Sorry, try Allah vs. Odin.

My point is that PlaneShift gods are part of the same 'mythology', the same legends and stories... they don't conflict as far as the "My god exists, therefore yours doesn't!"

Whilst different Greek gods hated each other and had their own internal conflicts, the followers of Athena wouldn't kill a follower of Poseidon simply for following Poseidon.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2009, 07:43:21 am »
Talad and Laanx share the same mythology.

Blackflame is completely unrelated, not covered by the history described in the Player Guide.

Dakkru has her own realm outside Yliakum, the best excuse for no conflicts.

And Xiosia might be treated as "modern religion", compared to the rest of the settings.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

bilbous

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2009, 10:11:34 am »
It is kind of a shame that nearly a quarter of all people claim to be insane (I mean atheists.) Perhaps what is needed is an Inquisition to stamp out blackflame followers which could persecute the irreligious.

I chose atheist myself because I only follow whichever god I am in the presence of and have never met one.

Yaniel

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 11:06:23 am »
Yaniel follows Xiosia (although not very succesfully until now) because... well, his personality is similar to mine (reducing possibilities to two: Talad and Xiosia) and because Xiosia seems to be very "popular" among dermorians.

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 12:09:59 pm »
It is kind of a shame that nearly a quarter of all people claim to be insane (I mean atheists.) Perhaps what is needed is an Inquisition to stamp out blackflame followers which could persecute the irreligious.

I chose atheist myself because I only follow whichever god I am in the presence of and have never met one.
Ah, you beat me to it. I noticed that too. With a further 6% following a not publicly existing god, it means only 2/3 actually know what they are doing? :)

Dralion1221

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 01:32:49 pm »
My char doesn't actively worship Xiosia. She only chose her because:

~she deemed her as a 'good' god.

~she doesn't know what the Black Flame is.

~she's heard many stories about gods and believes them, so she can't be atheist either.

~Xiosia is all about nature. My char likes nature too

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 02:12:50 pm »
Being an atheist isn't that crazy. It just means you recognize the gods but don't actively worship a particular one.
However, worshipping a god does have its perks. Not worshipping one would be seen as quite eccentric.

Now denying the gods exist, that's plain lunacy.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2009, 03:38:46 pm »
Odin is a god. Odinism is the worship of Odin. It is a religion. I am not even going to post links on this, you have a web browser.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2009, 04:09:25 pm »
Eh, what? This is PlaneShift, not RL :P
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 12:29:53 am »
Odin is a god. Odinism is the worship of Odin. It is a religion. I am not even going to post links on this, you have a web browser.

odin is not a god, you can read, and pigs can fly.