Author Topic: Guns  (Read 10040 times)

Kuiper7986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2003, 07:56:57 pm »
oh WTF!!!! I didn\'t think about that!!! You can always alter the tip of the arrow!

uh oh I feel flames coming............. :)
My name is NOT pronounced, \"Kway-per,\" it\'s pronounced \"Kye-per.\"

kyp14

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2003, 11:03:23 pm »
an old school musket would be a nice addition and would fit into the medieval/fantasy setting and this doesn\'t mean like in other threads we are talking about a FPS I mean if you can have bows and cross bow with out a FPS type combat system then why can\'t you have a musket to

I also like the idea of having to search for the ingrediants of gun powder and having to get the musket balls of the smith and being able to enchant the balls is a really good idea to

Kuiper7986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2003, 11:17:58 pm »
ya but I gave up on the gun idea because Planeshift is what about the people wants and heh the people dont\' seem to like the gun idea so I dropped it cuz I don\'t want to be marked as a hated person around here.

Bonez

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2003, 12:53:45 am »
This will clear everything up.. TIMES DONT MATCH UP.. seems as thought u didnt do ur homework or skipped that class

Early 1500s The matchlock Arquebus was developed as the first hand-held firearm.
1500s The Damascus barrel developed in the Near East.
Circa 1500 The button lock was the first improvement on the match lock, and the first \"trigger.\"
Late 1500s Spring air guns were invented.
Circa 1517 The wheellock was invented in Nuremburg.
1526 Fabbrica D\'Armi Pietro Beretta S.p.A is formed in Italy. Oldest continuously operating manufacturer in the world.
Circa 1580 The Snaphaunce flintlocks were developed.
1600 The 17th Century
Early 1600s Pneumatic air guns introduced.
1600s The blunderbus was introduced.
Circa 1600 The dog lock , which featured a safety to secure the half cock position, was developed.
1639 Rhode Island colony passed law limiting deer season.
1700 The 18th Century
1750 The first Kentucky rifles were manufactured on the American frontier.
1750 Contriner of Vienna designed a 15 shot compressed air gun.
1758-1836 Ezekiel Baker. English gunsmith who produced the Baker rifle.
1760s The \"Brown Bess\" British musket was standardized.
1761-1883 Nicholas Noel Boutet. A famous French gunsmith known for his artistic decoration of firearms.
1763 Eli Whitney founded the Whitney Arms Company, which applied mass production techniques to rifle manufacture.
1775 Committees of Safety began providing arms to American patriots.
1775 John Wilkinson builds the first true boring machine, making bored rifle barrels possible.

Middle Ages, period in the history of Europe that lasted from about ad 350 to about 1450. At the beginning of the Middle Ages, the western half of the Roman Empire began to fragment into smaller, weaker kingdoms. By the end of the Middle Ages, many modern European states had taken shape. During this time, the precursors of many modern institutions, such as universities and bodies of representative government, were created.
Join the Legendary Warriors at http://www.legendarywarriors.tk and feel real power and wealth

hook

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Hook's Humble Homepage
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2003, 02:46:15 am »
just a reminder to all of you ...this is NOT a mediaevil game ...it\'s a completely different world ...i haven\'t seen any trace nor hint of gunpowder in the story so far ....so guns are definetly out (from my point of view)

plus i think that guns would SERIOUSLY sitck out of the surrounding ...nah, i\'m still heavily against it
:emerald: The Treecastle *will* stand !!! :emerald:

in-game name: Seeln

Fanomatic2000

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2003, 07:52:29 am »
I\'m not sure about the gun-idea, but IF there would be guns in the game I would like to see something like the rifles in warcraft 3.

Yes, this is a different world, and therefore rifles isn\'t possible, however swords like we know them isn\'t possible either, and neither are bows, shurikens, catapults, gunpowder, spears etc. At least they would look different from our medival weapons.
I suggest that the devs create an arsenal of completely unique weapons specially designed for the world of PS.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2003, 07:58:56 am by Fanomatic2000 »

Be a member of our Mirthful community.
Join us today!   :]

Note:  This is my old account. I am now known as \"Jadd\".

Temrus

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2003, 08:27:23 am »
NO GUNS GUNS ARE RUBBISH WE NEED PROPER WEAPONS BOWS SWORDS AND STUFF!!!!!.
  Anyway guns would spoil the whole idea of the game someone with a gun would kill everything easily there should never be guns NEVER!!!!

Valfaran

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2003, 10:03:49 am »
I\'m quite surprised a Dev hasn\'t stepped into this one yet, but I\'ll just throw my two cents in. Most of this is likely repeating what others have said, but I would like to bring it all together and culminate these thoughts into

If we are to abandon all references to the history of our own world, I must say that the very essence of Planeshift is what makes guns obsolete. That essence is both magic and abandonment. Okay, you might be saying, I get the magic, but what the heck do you mean by abandonment? Well, think of it this way: the real reason people create and play roleplaying games is so that, for however short or long a time, they can escape. They can abandon their own personal hell and the worldwide \'situation\', and escape into a world that is nothing like the one they live in, and they are who they want to be. Now, think of how strange it would be to walking along with an elven friend, talking of whether the merchant down the road\'s potions are effective or not worth spending your Trias on, and some fool runs up to you with a GUN! Now, that\'s obviously going to start reminding you of things that happen in OUR world. Of all things that could be added to a game, I believe that guns are the most mundane of artifacts. They take away from the atmosphere of a fantasy setting. Think about this: one can easily picture a bow that uses arrows crafted from an enchanted wood, with arrowheads that shine silver light, but can one truly picture in the same setting a gun that glows with a magical light or shoots flaming bullets? I sure can\'t. Perhaps I am a die-hard fantasy nut, but I\'m sorry to say I\'ve never finished a LOtR book (excluding the Hobbit) and I\'ve never played Everquest or Ultima Online.

Of all the things one could conjure up to make a game unique, I believe guns would be the last on the list. I don\'t mean to flame here, but next time, try thinking of something from your own imagination rather than something that is put to regular use today.

Kuiper7986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2003, 10:21:46 am »
that\'s cool I expected to be flamed but I\'m over the gun thing now, it doesn\'t mean I don\'t like guns, just that it shouldn\'t be implemented in this game. Well its really all up to the Devs.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2003, 10:22:28 am by Kuiper7986 »

DooMeeR

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2003, 12:48:41 pm »
Valfaran says: \"and they are who they want to be\".

Well, I\'d love to play Gandalf for example, but I\'d rather not be him in real, he has way too much job to do and his world is quite dangerous ;) (well I wouldn\'t feel safe).
Or maybe you want to say \"and they play who they want to play\" :)

Anyway, you\'re true when you\'re saying that you should invent the story, not copy it from our real lives.
DooM shall never die, only the players.

Terra111

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2003, 04:38:37 pm »
Just my 2 cents;

I think they indeed could be added to the game, but as \'\'Very powerful, unique artifacts, with an unknown origin.\'\' There would be only a few of them in the whole world, and the player would have to go through very dangerous quests and cross very hard obstacles to get one of these relics.

PkEddie

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2003, 07:25:28 pm »
I dont think guns are a good idea, I agree they seem a little out of place
children in the back seat cause accidents
accidents in the back seat cause children

chrischoo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2003, 03:58:04 am »
I think guns seem to contradict the setting and feel of the game. I think however that magic and special weaponry could very easily replace guns. You could have lightning bolts fly from wands (and that would look like a lightning gun wouldn\'t it?) or some kind of magical crossbow with rapid fire (like a machine gun?) and such items would seem to blend better with the game compared to rifles and bayonets.

And... The effects would look better too!

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2003, 08:34:58 am »
I will ask a simple question.
What do they add to the world?

In many games the inability of certain races to get certain things is balanced by other abilities. Currently I see nothing that guns would add.
-Paxx

cmhitman

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2003, 02:14:58 pm »
ok, at the risk of being
dixie chicked,
I\'m gonna just say one thing.
I want Guns because...there kewl
PROUD [SOLE]    HITMAN CLAN WILL RISE AGAIN!