Author Topic: Adding Crime into PS  (Read 4713 times)

Eyantar

Adding Crime into PS
« on: March 22, 2010, 03:35:28 am »
PS does not have much IG/RP Crime or Police (yes theres GMs) It came to my attention that adding in more crimes to disobey and a few ideas for Consequences

Well lets start with Crimes to Disobey:
1) Robbery in houses, my idea is to not rob guild houses or player houses but to rob empty NPC houses (so basicly a house becomes an NPC) a robber goes to the NPC house lock-picks his way in steals everything and then leaves an in another while it gets re-furbished but with different loot inside (a lot like killing a mob) then always the better trained you are at whatever it is you have to train you can lock-pick our way into larger and more valuable houses with more valuable items inside. to do with Consequences a guard is patrolling the streets and may find him, yes that would b VERY hard to programme but this is a wish list. And then when the guard finds him he goes to Jail or court or pays a fine or slays the guard and then gets hunted by Octarchy guards which is rather fun being a bandit!

2) Pickpocketing. you could pickpocket NPC not players as I do not want to make a fuss about that. and then a guard may catch you and then you pay the consequences.

3) Burglering shops, so robbing a shop getting good loot, shop keeper may find out may not, guards hunt you down you pay the consequences.

4) I don't know of anything else

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
Re: Adding Crime into PS
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 01:39:03 am »
technically all types of crimes should be put in ,murder while somone is sleeping, theft like you said, weapons in hydlaa, going over the speed limit XDD
asulting a guard...
asulting trogdar >.>
stuff like that
we need people who will do that, and we need some normal players who are responsible enough to take on a roll as guards who can actually jail people [but the freazing people from half a mile away to catch em seems to much like godmodding to be good for rp use :\ i highly suggest getting rid of that, just put a smaller spell range on the jailing thing....]
[ive seen people get jailed, ive even been jailed once....it looks like crystal way...anyways..............]
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 02:54:56 am »
the only way crime will happen is in the absence of law, especially in a game like this where guards have awesome pimp staffs infused with teletranquiporting magics. since criminals have no chance if caught, they take their crime outside cities and octarchy jurisdiction, so it's not really even crime. it may not sound logical, but in a virtual roleplaying game, crime exists because of crime fighters. in real life, it's the opposite. but ps isn't real so it's all for the thrill rather than survival. there's no thrill in knowing you're going to be punished no matter what. however, that's if the guards will find out. if they don't, player characters can't actually enforce anything, so a criminal could do anything he wanted. after a while, that gets old. there has to be an element of risk and gamble; otherwise, there's no point to crime (unless you're a very good roleplayer with victims who are also good roleplayers).

having all these new abilities like pickpocketing and breaking and entering aren't going to create more crime. someone will try, someone else will get pissed, and the devs will stonewall crime. because it's offensive or some crap like that.  ::)

only way i can see crime working is if gm guards are replaced by player guards with limited power (meaning no pimp staffs). there'd be room for griefing, but that's why we have real gms, isn't it?

i'd type more but i'm lazy and gtg

also, i think i missed like half your post...  X-/
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:56:48 am by Sarras Volcae »

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 03:52:29 am »
*yawn* just play GTA if you want to kill people.

Vilthis Trayus

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Lord of the House, House of Trayus
    • View Profile
    • The House of Trayus
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 07:28:36 am »
I have no qualms really, but criminals better be ready to bear consequences. An often nasty, brutish, short and often solitary life in the face of a powerful sovereign Octarchal administration.

Rigwyn

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:21:01 am »

I agree that it might be nice if the game mechanics offered a path for criminals but I wonder how well this would work when the criminal reaches max levels.
At level 100 in lockpicking with a +20 agi sword in each hand, will I have free access to your guild houses if I log in during off peak hours ?

Would that sort of gaming have the effect of reducing the use of guildhouses ?
If it become a known fact that guildhouse are insucure because some players can pick anything then people start
Using alts, guild houses become bare meeting places etc...

Or if I and 30 other players have similar maxed skill in pickpocketing, how might that change game play ?
Would people keep their stuff in logged off alts ?

I think a person who plays a theif would want his character's skills to be just as
Strong as your maxed duelist's or you maxed mage.

The nice thing about roleplaying theft is that there is more freedom then the mechanics can provide and of course less hurt feelings in the case of player vs player theft.

Its an interesting idea though.

I recall seeing a scene in a movie where a gang of vagabond
kids practice pick pocketing each other in an alley.

I would expect such thieving skills to be developed in a similar way.
Perhaps have a camp banished rogue that let's you try to pick pocket him and provides
Theoretical training. Same for lock picking. I would thing that you would take a chest somewhere and practice on that.

Mogweh

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 11:47:45 am »
PS does not have much IG/RP Crime or Police (yes theres GMs) It came to my attention that adding in more crimes to disobey and a few ideas for Consequences

Well lets start with Crimes to Disobey:
1) Robbery in houses, my idea is to not rob guild houses or player houses but to rob empty NPC houses (so basicly a house becomes an NPC) a robber goes to the NPC house lock-picks his way in steals everything and then leaves an in another while it gets re-furbished but with different loot inside (a lot like killing a mob) then always the better trained you are at whatever it is you have to train you can lock-pick our way into larger and more valuable houses with more valuable items inside. to do with Consequences a guard is patrolling the streets and may find him, yes that would b VERY hard to programme but this is a wish list. And then when the guard finds him he goes to Jail or court or pays a fine or slays the guard and then gets hunted by Octarchy guards which is rather fun being a bandit!

2) Pickpocketing. you could pickpocket NPC not players as I do not want to make a fuss about that. and then a guard may catch you and then you pay the consequences.

3) Burglering shops, so robbing a shop getting good loot, shop keeper may find out may not, guards hunt you down you pay the consequences.

4) I don't know of anything else

Doesn't have too much IG / RP crime? What's the name of your IG character, you have obviously just been unlucky.

1) PS is a medieval setting, there are no police, there is the mob or self appointed groups. There are people who are willing to do things and those that just sit there moaning and being victims. In this time, if a crime is committed against you, if is up to you to find the guilty person, or to employ someone to do it for you.

2) Pickpocketing should be with players, then RP the consequences with them. A couple of roleplayers will make some fun with that.

3) Burgling shops would be fun, but the shop keeper and the thief must be prepared to RP the consequense, which means if the thief gets away, they must be suitably visible for the shop keeper (or an agent of the shop keeper) to find and RP some more.

Mogweh has left the building...

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 07:03:53 pm »
I have no qualms really, but criminals better be ready to bear consequences. An often nasty, brutish, short and often solitary life in the face of a powerful sovereign Octarchal administration.
consequences   i understand, but come on now, magical staffs letting guards freaze sombody from anywhere they want to catch em and throw em in jail
thats seriously just sounding like godmodding to me
its not fair and is the reason crime doesnt even hardly exist...
the devs keep saying they want people to be a variety of things, cook, theif, hero, whatever..but how can they support theft, if they just let gm's godmod their way to locking up criminals...
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy

Abuse?

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 10:38:51 pm »
It isn't like guards are running around freezing people every day. Heck my guard character has never frozen a criminal yet. There is a lot of crime going on that the guards aren't doing anything about.

Eyantar

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 02:29:36 am »
Ummmm....

well to most of you

This idea is that guards (NPCs) will be able to walk around hydlaa and freeze people if they do wrong, its an idea I got off a game called Oblivion and that if you are maxed lockpicking and higher level than the guards you have guards trying to kill you all day long in that town or eventually the town gets annoyed and gets higher and higher and higher leveled guards onto you... Mogweh I am Eyantar I own a shop.

So what I am saying is that most of this is Game mechanics that a guard will be patroling the streets (walking up and down) and then when someone in his rang does a crime he runs to the person and freezes them and basicly a box will pop up asking you if you want to pay tria, go to jail, or fight the guard and have loads of other guards coming onto you.

this is for the future or lets say beyond the future. :)

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 03:43:51 am »
mogweh, police existed in medieval times... they're just weren't called police. ever heard of constables? that's where they originated. police have always existed in some way or another.

It isn't like guards are running around freezing people every day. Heck my guard character has never frozen a criminal yet. There is a lot of crime going on that the guards aren't doing anything about.

and that means what? either hydlaa is a cesspool of crime or a utopia with zero crime rate, depending on your shift? gms aren't even supposed to rp. imo gms should just do their jobs and quit playing around. the occasional event is okay, but everything else is goofing off. rant rant rant!

anyway, i think crime will only work if guards are players. the criminals are players, and so should the crimefighters be. gms vs players doesn't work. needs balance.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 03:56:49 am by Sarras Volcae »

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 09:19:00 am »
Sarras where did you ever get the idea that GMs aren't suppose to RP? True as our GM characters we don't RP but GMs also have Guard alts and event alts which we use specifically for RP reasons.  One of the key things w look for in a GM is very good RP skill now. I have been in a situation where the guards have physically chased after a player character in an attempt to get close enough to reasonable cast a freeze spell. In that case the player character was able to get away.

The smarter criminals that I have seen either do their illegal activities totally outside of Hydlaa, like a thief who preys on people who happen along on the roads, or they lead their victims outside of Hydlaa to commit the crime. In both cases the thieves know their chances of getting caught are much less outside the city walls due to the lack of guards in the wilds. On the other hand I have seen lots of stupid criminals that IC'ly should have ended up in jail because they have  done really dumb things like fight and kill someone in Kada's where there are two guards stationed just outside the door. REmember people should be RP'ing that the NPC guards aren't frozen in place and will come in to Kadas if they hear a fight going on in there.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 09:42:18 am »
@sarras gm's ARE supposed to rp as sarva said, thats the whole point of their guard alts and yadda yadda
but the point is they shouldnt freaze you halfway across town, which is what most guards always do :\
only once i have ever been chased by a guard, i ran into the arena and got away...
that was the only guard i think is actually doing their job fairly...
and at Eyeantar, saying somthing is from a diffrent game like oblivion or somthing, is a great way to not get it implemented

Abuse?

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 09:49:46 am »
I don't think that the game mechanics allow the implementation of crimes and guards without some extend of godmode. At the moment have the guards the power to cast a freeze spell what is quite questionable (and godmode imho). The contrary situation would be that a guard stands at the gate and a wanted person runs in... and through the guard.. and just doesn't care, because the guards won't be able to do anything. In this situation is the wanted person godmoding. As those are, who ignore the NPC-guards.
So it seems that the question is more to find a balance of how much godmoding is allowed to created a fair environment.
A short distance freeze seems to be the most fair right now to me.

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Zon

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Roving Raiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 11:45:59 am »
Problem is some dont roleplay, they pretend to be thieves and run out of town, if someone stops them, they ignoreit and continue running. :/ They do not roleplay

[edit:] oh and the fact that we need to challenge in order to attack
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:50:37 am by Zon »