Author Topic: Your Guide to Illegality: Brought to you by the Confederation of Malcontents  (Read 1583 times)

bloodedIrishman

Your Guide to Illegality
                                                                      brought to you by the Confederation of Malcontents

A community collaboration that allows accessible information to anyone who is willing to learn how to role play a crime, a lifelong career of devilry or just general malfeasance. For those who are newcomers to role play and want an evil character or a veteran who needs a touch-up, or someone with a suggestion or two they think will benefit the guide, this is your place to be.

Reply with your tips, advice, suggestions, input and unwritten rules of bad-guy behavior and I will write them in here with credit to your forum name.

A. Whispers of Wisdom
B. Raising a Nefarious Character
  1. The Psyche of a Villain
    -Alignment
    -Mindset & Behavioral Patterns

C.Rules & Guidelines of Misconduct
  1. Behavior
  2. Descriptions

D. Roles & Careers
  1. Thief: Sticky Fingers
  2. Assassin: Dagger in the Shadows
  3. Spy: Watcher in Wait

A. Whispers of Wisdom

"You are not invincible; but it might be an advantage to make others believe so. Just don't try to believe it yourself." - LigH

B. Raising a Nefarious Character

1. The Psyche of a Villain

-Alignment

Evil characters can generally be placed in four alignments, and they can help you develop ideas about who your deviant truly is on the inside.

Lawful Evil

"Lawful Evil is referred to as the "Dominator" or "Diabolic" alignment. Characters of this alignment see a well-ordered system as being easier to exploit, and show a combination of desirable and undesirable traits; while they usually obey their superiors and keep their word, they care nothing for the rights and freedoms of other individuals and are not adverse to twisting the rules to work in their favor. Examples of this alignment include tyrants, devils, undiscriminating mercenary types who have a strict code of conduct, and loyal soldiers who enjoy the act of killing.

Like Lawful Good Paladins, Lawful Evil characters may sometimes find themselves faced with the dilemma of whether to obey law or evil when the two conflict - however their issues with Law versus Evil are more concerned with "Will I get caught?" vs "How does this benefit me?"

Neutral Evil

"Neutral Evil is called the "Malefactor" alignment. Characters of this alignment are typically selfish and have no qualms about turning on their allies-of-the-moment. They have no compunctions about harming others to get what they want, but neither will they go out of their way to cause carnage or mayhem when they see no direct benefit to it. They abide by laws for only as long as it is convenient for them. A villain of this alignment can be more dangerous than either Lawful or Chaotic Evil characters, since he is neither bound by any sort of honor or tradition nor disorganized and pointlessly violent.

Examples are an assassin who has little regard for formal laws but does not needlessly kill, a henchman who plots behind his superior's back, or a mercenary who switches sides if made a better offer."

Chaotic Evil

"Chaotic Evil is referred to as the "Destroyer" or "Demonic" alignment. Characters of this alignment tend to have no respect for rules, other peoples' lives, or anything but their own desires, which are typically selfish and cruel. They set a high value on personal freedom, but do not have any regard for the lives or freedom of other people. They do not work well in a group, as they resent being given orders, and usually only behave themselves out of fear of punishment.

It is not compulsory for a Chaotic Evil character to be constantly performing sadistic acts just for the sake of being evil, or constantly disobeying orders just for the sake of causing chaos. They do however enjoy the suffering of others, and view honor and self-discipline as weaknesses. Serial killers and monsters of limited intelligence are typically Chaotic Evil."

-Mindset & Behavioral Patterns

Your foul brute also has behavioral patters and mindset's he or she can be characterized by.

• Sadistic: One who derives pleasure through cruelty or pain to others.
  • Sociopath - Being unconcerned about the adverse consequences for others of one's actions. Having a antisocial-type personality, pleasure-seeking, remorseless, and not bound by law, code, trust, or friendship.
  • Narcissistic - egotistic: characteristic of those having an inflated idea of their own importance.
  • Compulsive - having an uncontrollable impulse to perform an act repetitively in a ritualistic manner.
  • Obsessive: an unhealthy and compulsive preoccupation with something or someone.
- jaculapundactum

C. Rules & Guidelines of Misconduct

1. Behavior

• Do your best to ensure that the victim of your crime has fun too. If they get just as much fun out of it then it's likely that they will want to roleplay with you again
  • Be flexible. Don't try to force the role play to your way. A "must win" attitude will lead nowhere.
  • If you get caught, role play your consequences. This may mean bribing the victim into keeping their mouth shut, apologizing, taking a beating, etc.. This part of the role play is equally as important as your initial stick up.
  • Respect the settings.
  • After committing a crime, cool off. Don't do it again in the same spot or with the same person. Victims are not mobs. If you do go after multiple people in one spot then expect to run into some trouble.
- Rigwyn

2. Descriptions

• Make your disguises with traces that could, in some detail, be traced back to you. Being un-identifiable too much will create a boring role play and inevitably cause others to dislike partaking again. Leave traces such as; a piece of jewelry, a visible tattoo.
  • Keep descriptions brief with succinct, expansive and clear detail; such as posture, stance, clothing, jewelry, body markings, size, shape, hair color and smell.
- Jarexia

If you posted here you have illegaly joined the Confederation of Malcontents. Secretly bloodedIrishman & company.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 03:07:10 am by bloodedIrishman »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
It takes more to be evil than just to act mad.

The best evildoer is the least expected reason for his victims' failing.

You are not invincible; but it might be an advantage to make others believe so. Just don't try to believe it yourself.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 04:50:48 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Rigwyn

Just a few:

1. Do your best to ensure that the victim of your crime has fun too. If they get just as much fun out of it then its likely that they will want to rp with you again..
2. Be flexible. Don't try to force the rp to go your way. Thinking that *must win* is a big mistake.
3. Be defeatable (regardless of your stats). Its no fun to play with someone who's hell bent on winning all the time.
4. If you get caught, roleplay your consequences. This may mean bribing the victim into keeping their mouth shut, appologizing, taking a beating, etc.. This part of the rp is equally as important as your initial stick up.
5. Respect the settings. Don't commit a crime within shouting distance of a guard. You will look like a noob if you do.
6. If someone calls for a guard then react appropriately. Ie. Run, hide, blame someone else, attempt to shut the person up if its not too late...
7. After commiting a crime, cool off. Don't do it again in the same spot or with the same person. Victims are not mobs. If you do go after multiple people in one spot then expect to run into some trouble.
8. If you die, stay dead for 1 to 3 days. You will look like a noob If you return from the dr and continue to commit crimes.
9. Lose now and then.
10. When you get to the point of actually commiting your crime you might want to send the other player an ooc tell and ask them if they are ok with it. You don't have to do this but if you thing the other player is new or doesn't get rp then it might be a good idea.
11. If the guards capture you then tru to escape or talk your way out of it. Rp being caught, incarcerated, imprisioned, and one day released.  Remember to rp everything no matter where you are.

These basic tips have been brought to you by the Outlaws.
If you wish to play a criminal character then why not learn from the best ?
See our guild thread if you would like to join ( note the page is ooc info )

Likewise if you would like to add a little spice to
your rp and need a criminal we can help with that too.

Oh, and we also provide er eh.. *shady services* for a
reasonable fee if you prefer not to
Get your hands dirty. ;) If you need help getting in
touch with us icly then just send a pm to one of our guild
Representatives ( listed on the guild page) and we'll work with you provided your not some godmodding wildass who can't keep ic and ooc separate.

Jarexia

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Can`t add a lot more to what Rigwyn already said...
I`ll add that disguising yourself `perfectly` is impossible...it`s boring and lessens the chance of others willingly being your victim. Add a description of your character`s disguise at the start of your character`s description...and if possible make a shortcut you can hit to make sure they notice (not everyone checks descriptions). And please keep it brief yet with something the victim can identify you by. A piece of jewelry, a particular colour of handkerchief over your face, etc. Rather than trying to make your character featureless when they`re `on a job`: have them change their clothing, their way of acting, their stance/posture, etc. Become another person, rather than becoming a nobody. Alternatively have your character speak in a particular accent, always use a certain turn of phrase, etc.
(For example: Kaisa, on the rare occasions when she does armour-up and do a bit of banditry, tends to always speak using gambling terms/phrases).

jaculapundactum

TIPS ON CREATING AN EVIL CHARACTER:

To implement an evil alignment into your character you should keep a few things in mind. Evil itself is often defined as having a morally objectionable behavior, this can range from lacking a conscience to having specific compulsions and tendencies. Insanity is often related to being evil in that regard, being as the morals of an evil person significantly differs from that of a person who is considered good. However being morally inclined or indifferent to malign acts may in turn be the result of a specific mindset, not insanity.
If you choose to play an evil character his/hers/kras behavioral pattern could therefore be a result of a certain mindset, such as:

1. A sadist: One who derives pleasure through cruelty or pain to others.

2: A sociopath - Being unconcerned about the adverse consequences for others of one's actions. Having a antisocial-type personality, pleasure-seeking, remorseless, and not bound by law, code, trust, or friendship.

3: A narcissist - egotistic: characteristic of those having an inflated idea of their own importance.

4: Being compulsive - having an uncontrollable impulse to perform an act repetitively in a ritualistic manner.

5: Being obsessive: an unhealthy and compulsive preoccupation with something or someone.

Defining your characters personality can be hard, be sure to give it at least a few solid outlines to make it easier to stay IC at all times. Keep in mind to let your character grow as it gains new experience ingame. Jacula himself evolved in his personality through a series of events, starting out as chaotic good eventually turning chaotic neutral and as of late chaotic evil.

If you find psychological terms confusing to use in defining your characters personality you can make use of the Dungeons & Dragons alignments. Given the topic of the thread I will quote the evil alignments. [The rest of them can be found here].

LAWFUL EVIL:

"Lawful Evil is referred to as the "Dominator" or "Diabolic" alignment. Characters of this alignment see a well-ordered system as being easier to exploit, and show a combination of desirable and undesirable traits; while they usually obey their superiors and keep their word, they care nothing for the rights and freedoms of other individuals and are not adverse to twisting the rules to work in their favor. Examples of this alignment include tyrants, devils, undiscriminating mercenary types who have a strict code of conduct, and loyal soldiers who enjoy the act of killing.

Like Lawful Good Paladins, Lawful Evil characters may sometimes find themselves faced with the dilemma of whether to obey law or evil when the two conflict - however their issues with Law versus Evil are more concerned with "Will I get caught?" vs "How does this benefit me?"

NEUTRAL EVIL:

"Neutral Evil is called the "Malefactor" alignment. Characters of this alignment are typically selfish and have no qualms about turning on their allies-of-the-moment. They have no compunctions about harming others to get what they want, but neither will they go out of their way to cause carnage or mayhem when they see no direct benefit to it. They abide by laws for only as long as it is convenient for them. A villain of this alignment can be more dangerous than either Lawful or Chaotic Evil characters, since he is neither bound by any sort of honor or tradition nor disorganized and pointlessly violent.

Examples are an assassin who has little regard for formal laws but does not needlessly kill, a henchman who plots behind his superior's back, or a mercenary who switches sides if made a better offer."

CHAOTIC EVIL:

"Chaotic Evil is referred to as the "Destroyer" or "Demonic" alignment. Characters of this alignment tend to have no respect for rules, other peoples' lives, or anything but their own desires, which are typically selfish and cruel. They set a high value on personal freedom, but do not have any regard for the lives or freedom of other people. They do not work well in a group, as they resent being given orders, and usually only behave themselves out of fear of punishment.

It is not compulsory for a Chaotic Evil character to be constantly performing sadistic acts just for the sake of being evil, or constantly disobeying orders just for the sake of causing chaos. They do however enjoy the suffering of others, and view honor and self-discipline as weaknesses. Serial killers and monsters of limited intelligence are typically Chaotic Evil."

Once having chosen a few outlines for your characters personality you should test it out ingame. To give you an example I broke Jacula's personality into four separate outlines.

Think of your character as a blank piece of paper at first, each corner representing an outline if it's personality. As you roleplay the paper will fill with different events and interactions, giving you a good idea of who your character is and how he/she/kra will react in different situations. I have found this basic way of defining your character useful. As a final tip: be sure to take the time to listen to others suggestions and learn from your mistakes!   :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:19:36 am by jaculapundactum »

Rigwyn

Another thing to consider is the the setup, or the events leading to the crime in question.  Its not enough to just do a stick-up. Its better to take your time and rp all the steps that lead up to the event and the occur afterwards.

Here's a poor example:

Bill points a dagger at sally and whispers "Gimie 4 circles or else.".
Sally offers her entire tria sack with trembling hands and pleads for her life.
Bill takes the sack and runs away.
Sally: Er... Ok ?

Ok, I guess that was fun for Bill for 2 minutes. But this would be better:

You tell Sally:   /me watches Sally from a distance carefully taking note of her lack of weapons. Perhaps they are concealed? He squints to see if he can spot a tria or glyph sack.
Sally tells you: /me continues to talk to Bart completely unaware of Bill's presence. She unconsciously touches her the tria sack on her right side during the course of conversation.
You tell Sally: /me notices the sack and slinks away into an ally

Later on you stalk the person from near by  .. why ? Because its creepy.

Sally looks at Bart and laughs out loud, "You told her what !?"
Bart chuckles
Bill watches Sally from behind for a moment but says nothing. He instead begins to speak with Harnquist about a dagger.
Sally: Bart your a pisser! What do you say we go to the stone head tonight  ?
Bart says with a grin, "How forward of you Sally..Yes, I'll meet you there but first I need to run an errand."

Later on Bill follows Sally from a distance. On the way to the magic shop he calls out

/shout /me shouts at the top of his lings, "OUCH !"                                     
sally turns around and looks at Bill who is sitting on the path, "Are you ok?"
Bill winces and rolls on his side groaning.
Sally runs to Bill and looks at him carefully, "What happened to you sir ?"
BIll: I must have twisted my ankle. I think its broken !
Sally, "Oh by Talad ! Thats terrible. I'll shout for help!"
Bill: No no, don't bother. Nobody will hear you out here. Could you...
Sally: Could I what ?
Bill: Could you help me up ? Perhaps I can try and stand on it.
Sally reaches down to help Bill up
Bill grabs Sally's hand and attempts to pull her down making it look like an accident
Sally tumbles onto Bill with a surprised expression
Bill draws a dagger and points it at Sally with a twisted grin, "How about helping me with my empty tria sack too ?"

Now consider a few things here...

The road to the magic shop is twisted .. you never know .. someone could pass by at any moment. This gives an opportunity for a surprise encounter which could really add to the developing story. While a real criminal might not be this careless, its a game. Unpredictable events add to the fun.

Bill will be known and remembered in this case. Unless he can convince her to keep it quiet he will be talked about ICly if Sally is a good role player. He may face IC consequences in the future. These should all be role played as they are all part of being a baddie and they will make the rp more fun for the victim

Bill might have been wise to use a mask or a disguise of some sort. While not fail proof it might have helped him.

The next day...

Sally whispers to Jarad and then nods at Bill from behind
Bill continues to talk to numbskull
Jarad watches Bill from a distance
Sally walks to Ted and whispers while pointing at Bill
Ted walks up to Bill and taps him on the shoulder with an angry exrpession.
Bill looks at Ted nervously and then turns around to walk away
Jared puts his hand forward to stop Bill and looks at him with a sour expression
Sally dons a giddy grin from a safe distance and gives Bill a little wave wiggling her fingers.

Worth noting too, good guys should not assume that every thing ends with a happily-ever-after ending. If you want baddies to play with you then be willing to lose sometimes.

bloodedIrishman

Many thanks to the people who replied.

If you have any of your own whispers of wisdom (words to live by) for an evil RP character, such as LigH's I would be more than happy to put them up. I'm also looking for people's input on thievery, assassination and espionage; general rules of thumb, guidelines, etc..