Poll

What is the main reason you are here?

RP
PL
Dueling/Fight RP
OOC Chat
To sit on someone's head
I don't actually play the game anymore, but I do still troll the forums for it.

Author Topic: Why do you play?  (Read 3497 times)

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
Re: Why do you play?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 08:20:45 pm »
When I made Dannae 27 months ago, I had no idea what RP even was. After 3 months of almost nothing but questing and training, and after completing some goals I'd set for myself, I began losing interest. Then I discovered RP and was hooked

Right, That sounds like my old problem a bit...Old Gm's like Tazen and Pizik, know how it was..But back when i first started, Around march 2009 or 08 cant remember. I was pretty much all by myself, nobody to do anything with other then my dad, who doesnt play anymore..The first person I ever met was Seneyarau,  he was just sombody to sell weapons too, but he became a good friend, i was known as an annoyance back then, as i basically 'fell into the wrong crowd' as the secnd person i ever met was asiliy, which looking back on it today, she was an ooc troll, i didnt think about it then, i didnt really learn about RP until i was put in charge of my guild, and its a big part of me now, i love talking to new people, Rp'ing with them, and even teaching people how to do it, within guidlines and such...

[edit: Quote is screwy >.>
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 09:20:02 am »
i'm as i call myself a half breed to ps, i rp + pl so i don't stick to either side fully but i get on, see if theres anything to do and then go from there.

Helewisa

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 12:06:03 pm »
Dannae!

Great question...I am so new to RP, but thus far have really enjoyed it and find that it causes me to look at some of my own personal quirks in ways that I might otherwise be able to avoid.

For instance, I enjoy the world of PS and the freedom to roam and explore but sometimes I'm not in the mood to interact in RP but wish to wander, ask NPCs what I can and find books to read. I have worked on some PL too, but mostly so that I won't be a victim (if that's possible in PS) and so that I can heal. Otherwise I usually look forward to running into a player that I have "met" in PS or to meeting new characters. I usually ask a lot of questions of other characters, trying to get a handle on just who they are and how they think...

I find that friendships among characters can be simple most of the time, but as in RL, there are some who are just not interested in being friendly. That is fine too, and makes the experience more realistic.

I have only been here a short while, so I have not knowingly formed any alliances that may work against each other and therefore my character. But, that too is like real life and being "the new kid in town". In time I hope to remember other characters more readily (looking the same can make it hard at first!) and keep our history more intact! 

All in all, I would say I am here for the RP and have been more than pleasantly surprised at just how civil and generous other RPers have been. This is an amazing medium through which to explore interpersonal relationships "virtuallly".

Thanks for the question Dannae, and the friendship ;)

Helewisa

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • My main: Jamona Shikon
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 12:53:18 pm »
@ Derula: Too funny!! And I owe you much for making Dannae's in-game art possible.

Eh. I guess my post would be funny if it wasn't true ;)

You owe me nothing though, to see Dannae's art totally made up for the work I had with the script (which was fun anyway :P)

Of course, not understanding RP at the beginning has also lead to character flaws such as no back story other than the lame amnesia thing.

I actually did have a back story that didn't involve amnesia when I first created Jamona. However, it was slightly out of settings. But it worked well, actually, I just had to cut the bits where Jamona was supposed to have blue skin and was levitating instead of walking. xD

What's also interesting is that I managed to implement the Ring of the Past I got from MB->CB update into her back story.

* derula wants Molecular Blue back ;)

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 01:53:24 pm »
In time I hope to remember other characters more readily (looking the same can make it hard at first!) and keep our history more intact! 

The Buddy's List can be helpful of keeping track of who you have and have not met before.

- Nova

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2010, 11:36:24 pm »
Please note I haven't read a thing in this Poll thread.

But here goes, It's obvious people will vote RP because they don't want to say the truth, I mean really if people were being honest they would vote PLing, because there are far more PLers in PS than RPers, in my own opinion.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2010, 12:14:12 am »

But here goes, It's obvious people will vote RP because they don't want to say the truth, I mean really if people were being honest they would vote PLing, because there are far more PLers in PS than RPers, in my own opinion.

From having followed this thread, it appeared to me that a majority of players professed to being both RP and PLers. It is my opinion that a distinction between RP and PL is more blurred to the newer PS generation of players; yet that may be just my own perspective.

- Nova

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010, 06:12:33 am »
Almost everyone in the RP servers is actually a RPer (i.e. If you engage their character they speak IC rather than OOC). PLing doesn't exclude RP altogether, it just means leveling a whole lot, which is actually necessary if you're playing some kinds of characters (Warriors. miners, etc.) It's people who make believe their characters is a great warrior without having leveled which aren't RPing properly.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Falcon Avian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2010, 05:13:59 pm »
The sitting on people's head seems like it was directed at me for some reason.  ;D

But the real reason I play is for roleplaying. Mechanics are not good at all I have to admit.

I have an ego so large it has it's own gravity. So in short, yes, everything does revolve around me.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2010, 05:27:58 pm »
From having followed this thread, it appeared to me that a majority of players professed to being both RP and PLers. It is my opinion that a distinction between RP and PL is more blurred to the newer PS generation of players; yet that may be just my own perspective.

Its pretty much always been like that. The roleplayers sneak away to do some leveling, but they have really good excuses for it. The powerlevelers roleplay here and there, so long as they are not observed by the other powerlevelers. This issue has always been a red herring in this community. Its silly.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2010, 06:39:01 pm »

vakachek dont base things on things you dont know, I'll bet most of the people who have commented here so far, you have no idea who they are IG or IRL.
Its not their fualt, that your in the wrong place at the wrong time, stop hanging around Oja and being banned, and you'll find more RP then you think you can.
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2010, 09:28:55 am »
It also helps if you're not being a snob.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 12:46:30 pm by Sangwa »
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Oronec

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2010, 10:36:46 am »
I was an unhealthy mix of both once upon a time...

Now I'm just a forum stalker, and let me tell you; I c wut u did thar.

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2010, 05:08:39 pm »
/me heartily agrees with Sangwa.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2010, 06:33:49 am »

vakachek dont base things on things you dont know, I'll bet most of the people who have commented here so far, you have no idea who they are IG or IRL.
Its not their fualt, that your in the wrong place at the wrong time, stop hanging around Oja and being banned, and you'll find more RP then you think you can.

Lol I hardly hang around Oja when IG. Just so you know I said "Please note I haven't read a thing in this poll thread." But I know the amount of RP in PlaneShift is crap that is why so many RPers are leaving, like Illysia.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.