Author Topic: Unlag Game  (Read 1097 times)

DarkShadowSly

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Unlag Game
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:03:04 am »
Planeshift it looks good and all that, but it should be recreated for a more faster client runing..For example the game Battle Of Immortals, the game runs perfectly, and runs fast, even in Advance Settings, and it looks great!

Planeshift should be the same, fast running even in highest settings and looking great

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
Re: Unlag Game
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 11:43:11 am »
The devs do not have enough time to recreate the game,it is not commercial so we do not have funds to buy developer-slaves,we do not have limitless time and the devs do not own a time machine.

Drogos

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 01:19:33 pm »
True, true, but then again, this might be a suggestion for the Google summer of code?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 04:16:07 pm »
"You are not allowed to make polls." :P

And the developers already know a bunch of reasons why it is not optimal. Especially because the town maps are in an outdated format for the newer engine, using a better culler (a routine which calculates what is invisible and can be omitted) would possibly require exchanging the whole cities.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 05:40:08 pm »
you can force the hw culler but you need a good video card for it or it will be worse than the software one

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 06:53:48 am »
The devs do not have enough time to recreate the game,it is not commercial so we do not have funds to buy developer-slaves,we do not have limitless time and the devs do not own a time machine.

But then again "Planeshift's goal is to become the best free MMO" and to be that, they need less lag, less lag = an extra point at being the best game.  :-\
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

croustibat

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 09:01:59 am »
Maybe i did not play the game long enough for now, but i have never seen it lagging. I just have a core i3, a 8800GT w/512MB ram and 4GB of ram. highest video settings available and no lag.

not very beautiful either, but no lag.

scotty110

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 04:59:11 pm »
it's getting there, one of the recent updates changed how spell effects were handled and i find they no longer create the massive lag spikes they used to, weather effects aren't as bad either and i'm using a 3 year old computer with a 3 year old ATI video card, so slowly but surely it's getting better.
Main character on zeroping: Halbor

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 06:09:42 am »
Always be aware that optimizing the game has to be done in two rather distinct projects: "the game" with its models and maps on one hand, and "the engine" which is used by the game, but has to be used in an optimal way on top of all, which requires both theoretical knowledge and practical experience. And the many different graphic solutions are available out there, the many different ways might be optimal for each of them. Spare time developers and testers are unable to buy dozens of different computers to test the game on many different systems. Therefore all the players are testers too...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 04:45:07 am »
Too generic.