Author Topic: Just a few pictures I drew when I was bored  (Read 13148 times)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Just a few pictures I drew when I was bored
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2011, 06:43:40 am »
Oh, I could easily recognise that. Good shading, well done.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2011, 05:53:28 am »
It is located in one of the standing towers of the ruins. And yes: I really have been up there. If you want to, I can even upload a proof ;)
I tried to let her look like, she is enjoying that high place. Not sure if it worked though.
Too bad that the picture got a few strange light places through the scanning.

It doesn't really have to do with drawing, but I post it here to keep everything I did together ;)

I started another project, partly cause I was bored with the light armor of a fenki. It is nearly finished. I still try to figure out which small changes I want to do. Currently it looks for me like this:

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 09:22:36 am »
Almada once asked for dark armor too...

Just a bit contrast play before auto-painting.

Hope you don't mind me capturing your thread...  :-[

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Avathius

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 06:49:12 pm »
I've seen several posts suggesting you use more blending. While sometimes this can help add more realism to drawings, I'd like to add that I prefer to see the line strokes in pencil drawings and like a sketchier look. Blending hides lines an artist uses in constructing shapes in their drawings and can also remove directional lines indicating curves and such. While smudging has it's place and can be put to good use, it's not needed to create better work. There are lots of ways of using a pencil that show just as much depth and shading, and don't cover up your strokes. While it's good to experiment with different methods, I wanted you to know there's value in allowing the media used, in this case a pencil, to show through in your artwork.

You don't understand. Blending is something that is good for creating better work. You don't blend the ENTIRE thing, you just blend the shading so it looks a lot better. Certain aspects of pictures cannot be captured through "random strokes to fill up negative space."

Dannae

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2011, 09:29:58 pm »
I've seen several posts suggesting you use more blending. While sometimes this can help add more realism to drawings, I'd like to add that I prefer to see the line strokes in pencil drawings and like a sketchier look. Blending hides lines an artist uses in constructing shapes in their drawings and can also remove directional lines indicating curves and such. While smudging has it's place and can be put to good use, it's not needed to create better work. There are lots of ways of using a pencil that show just as much depth and shading, and don't cover up your strokes. While it's good to experiment with different methods, I wanted you to know there's value in allowing the media used, in this case a pencil, to show through in your artwork.

You don't understand. Blending is something that is good for creating better work. You don't blend the ENTIRE thing, you just blend the shading so it looks a lot better. Certain aspects of pictures cannot be captured through "random strokes to fill up negative space."

No, it is you who does not understand. Just because you think a blend looks better than lines does not make it the ideal way to show dimension in artwork. There are many many ways to show dimension, each with it's own aesthetic appeal. What you are saying amounts to no less than saying something like, a realistic looking drawing is better than a line drawing. It simply isn't true and is only your own judgement of what makes good art.

As a similar example, I like paintings just as much, if not more, where I can see the artists brush strokes as opposed to a smoothed out look. Sure, the smoothed look will most likely closer resemble a photograph, but the picture revealing the artists brush strokes will hold my attention much longer as well as give me a feeling of connection with the artist as I can see and imagine the strokes being applied.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:03:05 pm by Dannae »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 02:09:16 am »
There is even software which turns smooth pictures into images of separate brush strokes to make it look like art (see above the picture of Almada, it was made with Dynamic Auto Painter by MediaChance).

I even saw a graphic demo which created a painting out of an OpenGL scene, and in just 4 KB of size: "Burj Babil" by Loonies (at pouet.net and scene.org) - 4096x3072 pixels

Blending may look more natural. But the artist may prefer to express the art in a unique style, to emphasize the tool used in creating the result.

And ... on top: A big :thumbup: for the manual work done. I tried to pencil-draw a PS creature once and remember how hard it was to make it look convenient.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Avathius

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 04:35:51 pm »

No, it is you who does not understand. Just because you think a blend looks better than lines does not make it the ideal way to show dimension in artwork. There are many many ways to show dimension, each with it's own aesthetic appeal. What you are saying amounts to no less than saying something like, a realistic looking drawing is better than a line drawing. It simply isn't true and is only your own judgement of what makes good art.

As a similar example, I like paintings just as much, if not more, where I can see the artists brush strokes as opposed to a smoothed out look. Sure, the smoothed look will most likely closer resemble a photograph, but the picture revealing the artists brush strokes will hold my attention much longer as well as give me a feeling of connection with the artist as I can see and imagine the strokes being applied.

It's funny how you can't seem to take a bit of constructive criticism to save your soul. If you're going to post your art online, you need to be ready to receive some critique. I'm not bragging about how "my art is soooooo much better than yours because I use a blender and that makes me special." I'm just trying to improve the talents you already have. You obviously have never used a blender before; as I said before, you don't blend EVERYTHING. Just shading. It's not gonna blur your picture, if that's what you're thinking. It's going to make the shading look a lot less like you used different gradients of pencil, and more look like actual shadows. Yeah, choppy strokes are pretty fun, but it's good to have some smoothness in the areas that SHOULD be smooth to balance it out.

Yes, sometimes you want to use choppy strokes of your pencil. It does express feeling. If I want to make a thumbnail sketch for something, or maybe a landscape, you don't want to spend time blending. But if you're going to do a full-blown portrait or a high-quality sketch, you want to use a wide variety of tools: a straight edge, blenders, charcoal, an eraser to help bring out shine (and also fix mistakes). I even use water (in small amounts).

Here's a sketch I made with some minor blending. I spent around 10 minutes on this, and I could have added in better shading.

http://twitpic.com/4tefqa

Here's a sketch I made with a lot of blending. Spent 20 minutes on this. Sorry for the fact that it is on lined paper. I'll admit, I used a small amount of pen to emphasize the shading in the most darkened areas, but only a small amount.

http://twitpic.com/4tei9l there's a bluish tint on this, if you notice. The lighting in the room I took the picture in is all wrong lol.

Notice the difference? Yes, I spent more time on the 2nd one. I'm just trying to offer a bit of advice, it's your choice whether to take it or not -_-

Avathius

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2011, 05:00:27 pm »
@Avathius: I won't use corel draw or gimp or a similar program. My drawings are drawn with a pencil and paper only and I won't edit it any further.

@Perlam: I think I know now what you mean with black. It is not possible with a pencil to get black lines. They will always be a bit grey. I would need to use coal pens to get it really black. Maybe I will try it one day. Not too sure about it.

Thanks for your answers and suggestions. I still try different stuff. And I have fun with it.  :)

Corel takes a more classic side to computer art. While Photoshop has stuff like foilage brushes, which are kind of cheating IMO, Corel has a pressure-sensitive touchpad so you can push harder or softer, and it gives a loose, natural feel to drawing on a touchpad. And it has paints. ONLY using paper and a pencil can kind of limit you a bit, but if that's your style I won't bother you about it. Personally I like sitting in a sunroom and just doodling for fun. It's relaxing for me. But when I get serious I grind for hours on stuff, and I'm pleased with the results.

Btw, I like your drawings very much. You have a great knowledge of perspective, especially on that scene of Hydlaa square.

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2011, 03:46:02 pm »
There is no special reason for this picture. I just got a good idea. That is supposed to be Jezzi.

And it is the first "human" face I actually like after I drew it.

Cirerey

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 08:59:34 am »
I have it on good authority that Jezzi is flattered.

Dannae

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2011, 02:47:40 pm »
@ Avathius:
It's funny how you can't seem to take a bit of constructive criticism to save your soul. If you're going to post your art online, you need to be ready to receive some critique. I'm not bragging about how "my art is soooooo much better than yours because I use a blender and that makes me special." I'm just trying to improve the talents you already have. You obviously have never used a blender before; as I said before, you don't blend EVERYTHING. Just shading. It's not gonna blur your picture, if that's what you're thinking. It's going to make the shading look a lot less like you used different gradients of pencil, and more look like actual shadows. Yeah, choppy strokes are pretty fun, but it's good to have some smoothness in the areas that SHOULD be smooth to balance it out.

Yes, sometimes you want to use choppy strokes of your pencil. It does express feeling. If I want to make a thumbnail sketch for something, or maybe a landscape, you don't want to spend time blending. But if you're going to do a full-blown portrait or a high-quality sketch, you want to use a wide variety of tools: a straight edge, blenders, charcoal, an eraser to help bring out shine (and also fix mistakes). I even use water (in small amounts).

I really hate to hijack Jilata's thread with this discussion, so this will be my last comment on this point.

First of all, why do you say Jilata can't take criticism when it's me you are quoting here? And there's no need to be mean about it. Of course I know blending does not mean smudging everything so all detail is lost...never said anything that would indicate that. I also never said blending is not good. I work as a prof. artist and have a degree in illustration and so feel somewhat qualified to give opinions on this topic. I understand and use blending techniques often in my own work.

What I was pointing out to Jilata is simply my opinion that there are other, just as effective, and possibly more interesting alternatives. I don't like saying one way is better or necessary over any other because it is not true. Look at M.C. Escher's pencil work. He achieved a wide tonal range and high degree of realism most often without blending. The texture of the paper shows through from the darkest to lightest tones giving a much different feeling than if he had blended the graphite. Up close, you can still see the pencil strokes. Just because someone does not use blending in a drawing does not make it any less high quality or finished.

Edit: Totally expected more insults from this person as they have posted below simply because I have a different opinion than their own. Wish they weren't so needlessly mean.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 12:41:46 pm by Dannae »

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2011, 03:09:59 pm »
I had fun trying to get different expressions. Somehow this reminded me of Karlyle, at one of the times Jilata hurt him. Since Karlyle pointed out, that he looks quite angry, it might even be, after she ran off. After all she doesnt think of him as beeing scary. ;)

Avathius

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2011, 09:15:56 pm »
@ Avathius:
I really hate to hijack Jilata's thread with this discussion, so this will be my last comment on this point.

Thank God.

Wow. Really? Don't bring M.C. Escher into this. I have a whole book on M.C. Escher. He's a beast. You are saying that he rarely used blending, but he did on a few of his best pictures, and even someone who is half-blind can see that.

And honestly, I don't care whether someone blends or not, but in my opinion, if they want to just rough-sketch things, then they aren't unleashing their full potential as an artist. I want Jilata's art to be better; I like Jilata's art. I just don't think it is entirely what it could be.

Oronec

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2011, 10:32:25 pm »
Jilata! Your technique with shading is epic-ly awesome~ Especially when it comes down to the diaboli race. So suiting! Great portrayal of emotion in that last piece, by the way. It's not easy being scary.  :lol:

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2011, 11:56:09 pm »
avathius, stop pl0x?

jilata, that one with the tower is pretty cool... i'm not an art critic. idk what to say, sorry. i just liked that one.  :-X