Author Topic: My last complaint  (Read 1011 times)

Avathius

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
My last complaint
« on: April 16, 2011, 06:32:51 pm »
People are starting to hate me for my references to before 0.5 came out. "Jeez, Avathius. Stop complaining about how the game wasn't nearly as laggy, contained half the bugs, and we all actually looked forward to the next update instead of shaking our heads and wondering 'what new fails will we face this time?'"

So, by popular request (just kidding) I have decided that this will be my last complaint post against Planeshift. I want to say I'm sorry for raging against you guys. I am currently working with a game in development, and I realize how hard it is. I do, however, think that this project needs to start over. Yes, start over. The world, races, and graphics are good, but I find the gameplay to be what is lacking. Start over with the gameplay. The "stances" idea is cool and unique, but it doesn't matter if the game's combat only relies on what stats you have. Yes, stats should matter a bit. But when the stats are raised really high, and it's very hard to max them, people get frustrated. Yes, this isn't easy, like WoW. But that's exactly what I mean! In WoW, the learning curve is remarkably easy. It's so simple to learn how to play WoW. With Planeshift, it's hard. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing. If you make it difficult to learn, then the players who have been playing a while will have an advantage over the new players. Thus, skill-based gameplay would be a good thing. The same goes for your game. Once again, stats should matter. But skill should matter more.

That's it with PvP: it's more fun if everything revolves around the skill of a player. Running, jumping around, changing to defensive and aggressive, casting spells at the same time. That's fun. What's not fun is when you max your stats and somebody is able to kill you easily simply because their axe level cap is higher than your sword level cap. You get what I'm saying?

Now thieving. I would really like to see crime in this game. My "j" key lets me sneak: how about you guys put that to good use? I would like it where, if my factions make me in bad relations with Hydlaa, I would have to GRAPPLE-HOOK my way up the wall, SNEAK past guards, and LEAP across rooftops to meet with a rival guild leader and discuss peace terms (actually, been there, done that... but I did the roof-jumping just for roleplay purposes, and for fun, not because I had to to avoid being pwned by the guards). I want to SNEAK past Dark Rogues to access some secret hidden chest wherein lies a dagger which I need to use in order to ASSASSINATE Levrus, so he goes to the Death Realm for a short time which allows my fellow gang members to SNEAK into Hydlaa while the guards are preoccupied with investigating his murder so that they can INVADE Jayose's library, give him an ALL-EXPENSE-PAID trip to the DR, too, and STEAL some of his books, which they then use to BRIBE the Hydlaa government in order that they will release a fellow gang member from custody. Then, UNDER THE COVER OF DARKNESS we will STEAL AWAY under the COVER OF NIGHT in order to get back to our SECRET BASE while AVOIDING the WATCHFUL EYES of the Hydlaa guards who discovered our hideout SO THAT WE CAN ASSASSINATE THEM, TOO, SO THAT WE HAVE A FEW LESS OF THOSE PESKY GUARDS TO DEAL WITH.

Does that say it clearly enough?

Dracaeon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • KJ website
Re: My last complaint
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 09:27:30 pm »
YES.

Hard, and long, to implement, but the game will be so much infinitely better.  I would have infinitely more fun with this game if that were to happen.  In fact, I got so tired of the mechanics, I decided to create a character that has nothing to do with them, just so I could give myself an excuse to play this game, because I love the concept so much.  On the other hand, if all this were to happen, I wouldn't have any problems with PS, and I tell you I would be a happy man.

Just one rub: A grappling hook?  This isn't Just Cause. Although I know that it's just an idea being thrown around (and it would be awesome, I agree)

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 03:51:28 am »
It's a good post about nothing new. Most of that stuff has been wished already and it has been either promised or refused:

Making everything Skill based: Lag would make it unfair. That's the excuse we've been hearing. Currently it also takes some skill to come in and out of combat, even though stats are the most important thing. Also, our developers live under the wrong impression that it's easy to level in PS.

About Stealing, Sneaking, etc... There are skills for that, you're complaining about something that has been chosen not to be implemented yet.

The little story you said about Levrus is as ridiculous as most current quests, since it'd be 100% autistic: no characters could admit to have done it, since half of Yliakum's population would find out they had all killed Levrus and Jayose and tricked the government. Grappling hooks and arabian nights stories have their place in Single Player RPGs, where you're meant to own the whole world. In MMORPG awesomeness must be shared equally by a greater population, or all you have is a city of killing, cooking, mining, smithing ninjas.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Avathius

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 10:39:17 am »
It's a good post about nothing new. Most of that stuff has been wished already and it has been either promised or refused:

Making everything Skill based: Lag would make it unfair. That's the excuse we've been hearing. Currently it also takes some skill to come in and out of combat, even though stats are the most important thing. Also, our developers live under the wrong impression that it's easy to level in PS.

About Stealing, Sneaking, etc... There are skills for that, you're complaining about something that has been chosen not to be implemented yet.

The little story you said about Levrus is as ridiculous as most current quests, since it'd be 100% autistic: no characters could admit to have done it, since half of Yliakum's population would find out they had all killed Levrus and Jayose and tricked the government. Grappling hooks and arabian nights stories have their place in Single Player RPGs, where you're meant to own the whole world. In MMORPG awesomeness must be shared equally by a greater population, or all you have is a city of killing, cooking, mining, smithing ninjas.

Lag would make it just as unfair as in any other game.

There's skills for it, yes, but they have no purpose or trainers, except for "hide in the shadows," which has a trainer for some reason but still has no purpose.

And the story of Levrus was an example, idiot. I'm just throwing out some ideas wrapped inside a story I made up on the spot. If you think I was suggesting a quest or something, then you're wrong. And no, grappling hooks can be in an MMORPG, too. And in case you haven't noticed, PS is a city of killing, cooking, mining, smithing ninjas, where everyone CAN'T own the whole world.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 01:14:14 pm »
PS's server is not the same as WoW, you should keep that in mind.

Skills are yet being developed. If you don't like that excuse now, then you'll just need to find a way to cope with it.

Also your example was a bad one. You should have made one where you explained a more general use for those things you wanted implemented. Most are not concerned with assassinating Levrus or with seeing a town where everyone uses a grappling hook to go grocery shopping. Don't be mad just 'cause your contribution is a repeated assortment of previously debated ideas, what matters is the intention!

PS: Yliakum currently is a bit like that, true, but once GMs play guards more often you'll see less ninjas. My point, though, was that we shouldn't add grappling hooks to what these ninjas can do, or we'll never see people walking the street normally.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 01:24:01 pm by Sangwa »
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 02:08:14 pm »
As explained in multiple posts 0.6 is all about improving the "fun factor" and we are working on that particular aspect. I can say it's not easy to just change the gameplay because there are many aspects of the game linked together, so if you change one you can make another very unbalanced. I think we know pretty well what's lacking and things are getting better and better as we have new features and the engine is more flexible to add what we need. If you are passionate about improving the game join the effort and contribute.

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 03:10:54 pm »
As a bit of a 'ninja' (at least in the movement aspect of it), i can say I would hardly need a grappling hook to get around like I do.  :P

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 08:42:54 am »
Grappling hooks would make the pathways useless. Currently you do have to use the stairs here and there :P
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:49:04 am by Sangwa »

Join the Dark Empire!

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 03:33:53 pm »
Phantom is a total ninja.  If anyone wanted to accomplish such naughty thievery, he could. ;)
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai