Author Topic: Freestyle/Live Player Music in PS  (Read 629 times)

Imshi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Freestyle/Live Player Music in PS
« on: July 13, 2011, 05:57:55 am »
 A great deal of new work on Sound is presently being done as part of GSoC 2011. Thank you Lucobro.

http://planeshift.ezpcusa.com/pswiki/index.php?title=Sound_System

Part of the present and future project involves player generated music in PS under the Musical Instrument skill. The ability to compose, then perform, music within a virtual world is technically daunting but I would hope for many incredibly exciting.

I would like to have the opportunity to "Freestyle", play live, as part of this system. This could involve using the pc keyboard to trigger notes in real time. As a lot of keys are "bound" to gui windows, movement, and shortcuts, using a "Play Music Stance" could be used to switch from normal mode to one where keys trigger the appropriate notes instead.

It might even be possible to use an external program to convert midi music keyboard output into a form usable by the Planeshift Sound Manager.

This would enable the talented musicians, with the right set up, amongst us to both entertain and amaze.

"Freestyle" could add more depth to the world, especially in RP. A character telling a tale in a crowded inn, casually plucks the strings of their harp. We hear the notes. Someone working on their Music Instrument skill playing scales, not to skill up but it's just what you do. A group of musicians warming up before a theatrical performance as the audience settles into place.

Sync could cause problems for groups trying to play together, latency etc. It could be possible for a player to have one character playing a music composition, while his/her other improvises around it. Both events being triggered from the same geographical location/isp might minimise sync issues.

[ Quick thought on Music Stance/Mode. Even if playing Freestyle would probably mean the character being stationary it would be wonderful to be able to move and play pre recorded compositions. Imagine a Guild Parade, at their head a piper playing a stirring March].

Thankyou.
"I am in spectacular shape and my trousers fit quite nicely."

Levrus Dahrenn

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
Re: Freestyle/Live Player Music in PS
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 12:13:08 pm »
It would be great if a player could get charisma boosts if listening to calm music and strenth bonuses for enjoying battle music.

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Freestyle/Live Player Music in PS
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 04:53:23 am »
It's not possible atm because it will generate lot of traffic and notes will most likely be out of synch.