Author Topic: The Extinction of a Race  (Read 3690 times)

Tzarhunt

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: The Extinction of a Race
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 05:36:44 am »
Well I really don't get the point... All you're going to have is people leaving because of your policy (ant not the acts it themselves) and other people crating Ynwnn and roleplayingand descibing them as Diaboli. So basically you have no result AT ALL but making yet more players leave.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2011, 05:36:50 am »
I don't know. Why won't you explain it to us LigH, which kind of players play Diaboli?

Sorry for being late... ;)

Diaboli are a complicated race, complicated regarding their generic character, their own kind of ethics and traditions -- looking from the point of view of human ethics. They probably don't belong to the usual "lawful good" concept, therefore it takes more efforts to build a credible specific character. I don't say that they are necessarily "evil", but probably rather "chaotic" in relation to human-related laws.

Of course, any player can play Diaboli. But playing credible Diaboli, according to their settings, may require more experienced players who are able to play even against their own real-life characters, at least partially.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 06:16:28 am »
Posting private messages on the board is not a great idea. You just lost the ability to have any more private answers from me Oronec.
Haha...time for a NDA for players also. After all they get in contact with PS.

And you all really keep on amusing me, thanks for that. Be glad that some stupid people who tried in the past to get a greater focus on RP in PS failed. Without any official rules enforcing people to follow the given setting nobody stops the community to just ignore the teams decisions and keep RPing Diaboli. It worked already in the long time of the "wrong race in description" bug...just put "Race: Diaboli" as the first line of your description. If you have no say in how the game should develop why giving people outside of the community a say in how you should play it? (But of course that's only a suggestion...as I'm also not part of the playing community)
Edit: Make a backup of the race info from the PS main page, post it in the forums so that new players know they can play those as well and get to an agreement within the community that RPed Diaboli are accepted...doesn't sound that difficult to me.

A final note: Thanks for this  Aensor. I'm quit surprised nobody else in this community said a word about it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 06:25:40 am by Aiwendil »

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2011, 06:46:53 am »
Posting private messages on the board is not a great idea. You just lost the ability to have any more private answers from me Oronec.
Haha...time for a NDA for players also. After all they get in contact with PS.

And you all really keep on amusing me, thanks for that. Be glad that some stupid people who tried in the past to get a greater focus on RP in PS failed. Without any official rules enforcing people to follow the given setting nobody stops the community to just ignore the teams decisions and keep RPing Diaboli. It worked already in the long time of the "wrong race in description" bug...just put "Race: Diaboli" as the first line of your description. If you have no say in how the game should develop why giving people outside of the community a say in how you should play it? (But of course that's only a suggestion...as I'm also not part of the playing community)
Edit: Make a backup of the race info from the PS main page, post it in the forums so that new players know they can play those as well and get to an agreement within the community that RPed Diaboli are accepted...doesn't sound that difficult to me.

A final note: Thanks for this  Aensor. I'm quit surprised nobody else in this community said a word about it.
I was going to say the same thing with Aensor but getting trolled to death by Mishka because I do not agree with her was not in my plans.So glad that I get help in resisting this person who has no moral values.

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 07:10:35 am »

Usually I ignore who clearly is speaking momentarily out of his mind, and I think you should do the same.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 07:26:34 am »
We want to reduce the number of playable races ...

This statement makes me very concerned.

Please name any other developer - except yourself - who agreed to this decision.

I can't imagine any.

Does your "PR department" still exist?

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2011, 07:46:20 am »
I really don't know what to say, but Talad your not doing this the right way. I don't really care if you delete a race, but like this. It's unacceptable! There's a far better way of deleting a race. Having a poll in the dev team is stupid, what say does the community get here? I mean we are the people who play the race.

Don't take privileges off people because you don't have the guts to tell the community that this is what you are going to do.

@Mishka - Well it's not as bad as Hitler because these aren't real people. However it's still not right to do such a thing like this.

Therefore I vote that Diaboli stays.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 07:55:45 am by Vakachehk »
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Mask

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Without imagination, we never will go anywhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2011, 07:48:19 am »
I would like to have a statement concerning the setting and race development: it's of no use to me to play a race now that might be pulled from settings altogether. That doesn't only extend on races, I someone messes with my character concept without telling/discussion first and the simply argumentation that "things are subject to change", I would be angry to.

We're all here to create something: a game, a character for nice rp in said game and so on. Players are not riffraff - they make the story that makes the world interesting. And that's creative potential that should not be wasted but put towards creating a fun game for all.
You can't complain about not having enough devs and then make something like this, it's counterproductive and will only make furture development slower than necessary.

We all want to built the same boat.

Usually I ignore who clearly is speaking momentarily out of his mind, and I think you should do the same.

No.
It's just an idea, it might contain nonsense until proper sources are given.

First rule of programming: Documentation, Documentation, Documentation.

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2011, 07:57:02 am »
Well, after the very nice posts in this thread, I'm out of here. I will leave it open, so you can continue to show the best of yourselves.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 01:39:17 am by Talad »

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2011, 08:21:07 am »
The vapid outrage of you bold, brave knights at the supposed moral failings of others would carry more weight if you learn first how to spell.

I agree, but even Google Translator has its limitations.

And please, all of you... there are many ways to express your concerns. Bad language is not one of these.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:33:38 am by BoevenF »

Mask

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2011, 08:24:37 am »
Well, given that their frustrations and opinions seems to be seldomly if at all taken into account by the devs, the players' reactions are understandable.
Given that the devs' frustrations are seldomly if at all taken into account by the players, well...

If this game wants to go anywhere, problems need to be adressed, frustrations, observations and opinions taken into account. If not, I think this project will just struggle on.

No.

I apologise. I forgot this is PlaneShift forum, not 4chan.

You got me lost, but invoking Godwin's law on the first page and never call that out is okay for you?

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2011, 08:27:27 am »
Well, he called me a dickhead. Then seems he edited his post (I just reduced the ban to 30 days now). I can tell you that's not a great idea to call the leader of a game you want to play a dickhead. :)

I feel this thread has gone pretty wrong, just my opinion. About addressing player concerns this was the reason for me to answer the posts and explain the reasons, but seems is not really appreciated.

Karlyle

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2011, 08:32:34 am »
I know this is just restating what has been said, but with the reasons given, it wouldnt be any different them removing hammerweilders or such.  I am sure those that are playing Diaboli would not mind to wait .... that is part of playing Beta, you wait for the full version to complete, even if that will take quite a bit of time.  I play a Ynnwn, but without the Diaboli .... I really wouldnt exist.
Everyone does have to take into consideration the time and effort that goes into everything, and Im sure it is .... from most, anyways.  Being the writers and the moderators, your decision goes .... if we like it or not.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:45:06 am by Karlyle »
Come by the Crystal Den and enjoy a drink

Mask

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2011, 08:49:49 am »
I know this is just restating what has been said, but with the reasons given, it wouldnt be any different them removing hammerweilders or such.  I am sure those that are playing Diaboli would not mind to wait .... that is part of playing Beta, you wait for the full version to complete, even if that will take quite a bit of time.  I play a Ynnwn, but without the Diaboli .... I really wouldnt exist.

Also the first impression was otherwise, I think that's what it's all about: bumping the development of the diaboli down the priority list. Maybe that did not get across in the first statements here. And it certainly got lost in the heated atmosphere.
I play a Dermorian - and I can wait for whatever the devs have planned in terms of a city. Every hint or piece of information that is released and enables me to play my character more convincinly is appreciated. And if it doesn't fit with the character's backstory, well, if it's nothing vital, I can rework.

Well, he called me a dickhead. Then seems he edited his post (I just reduced the ban to 30 days now). I can tell you that's not a great idea to call the leader of a game you want to play a dickhead. :)
Well,  be happy he didn't threw an iron d20 into your direction in the heat of the frustration.  :D

Also, I am quit sure that some of the players connect more than "playing" with the word: creating, filling with life, shaping. Since this game is under development, players and devs might get into nasty fights - in the end, they have the same goal. Every fight takes energy away from creating, and might drain away good people that walk away in frustration. Balancing the kind of world the players already created and the official development of settings would be nice and most likely beneficial for all. Mainly, this means better communications.

I feel this thread has gone pretty wrong, just my opinion. About addressing player concerns this was the reason for me to answer the posts and explain the reasons, but seems is not really appreciated.
It came surprising for the players. Your argumentation made sense from a development point of view, but still there were flaws as has been pointed out. Most of us, the players, would really appreciate a higher amount of information and discussion. Maybe someone finds flaws that where overlooked before, that's the great thing with communities. But communities need a certain amount of grooming, if one can say so. And then one might get something back from a nice community. 

Enjoy your choice. :)

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2011, 08:55:37 am »

My message above is NOT to be interpreted as a mild justification of those disgraceful pages of our recent history!  >:(

Off topic bombs should be avoided, that's all. That's what forum filters are for.

But I can assure you, if someone calls me a dick head, I don't praise him. There's no justification, unless you can certify that in your country it's a compliment.
It's really hard for me do not express my personal opinions, for the sake of proper discussions. Nevertheless, for my own health, it's better if I shut my mouth.