Poll

What type of Karma you want to use on the forums?

Disable the karma function, I already know I have all karma of the universe.
27 (45.8%)
Enable karma with negative and positives but show only the total karma
10 (16.9%)
Enable karma with negative and positives and show 2 numbers: total positive and total negatives
12 (20.3%)
Enable karma with positive only
10 (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Karma !!  (Read 2183 times)

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Karma !!
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 09:19:48 am »
most of the users on this forum are too overly sensitive to appreciate the karma feature. it's only going to cause unrest...
I definitely think karma should be disabled. It'd be abused anyway, and our community has well over enough things to create stupid drama over as it is.
Spoilsports (though true of course)

her/his/its post was...
Whatever you want. "His" is probably what I would use for myself in a forum...but this is the genderless internet. ;)

Chessire

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 07:06:12 pm »
No karma please! Rating, ranking and overall judging people is ugly T.T
Trolls are ugly too...

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 05:13:03 am »
her/his/its post was much more informative than yours. if you can't be serious, this isn't the thread for you. this are serious thread.
I am ready to have a debate on the current topic via PMs if you have the guts for it.
Positives only are easily exploitable too.E.g. Thumb up addicts on youtube.Applaud if you think enkis are cute,applaud me it is my birthsday!,applaud me for lulz.
I would also like to add that reputation levels and post counts do not matter too.There are many people with low post counts and 0 reputation who have offered the community much more than me.
On the other side there are people who have 3 times more posts than me,with high reputation who only rant and annoy.
@Soloyos here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXRX47L_3yE
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:22:59 am by Catlemur »

Soloyos

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Guardian-Bloodstone Brethren&Partner-Hydlaa Museum
    • View Profile
    • Bloodstone Brethren
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 05:15:47 am »
her/his/its post was much more informative than yours. if you can't be serious, this isn't the thread for you. this are serious thread.
I am ready to have a debate on the current topic via PMs if you have the guts for it.
Positives only are easily exploitable too.E.g. Thumb up addicts on youtube.Applaud if you think enkis are cute,applaud me it is my birthsday!,applaud me for lulz.

I applauded you, ye need to make me laugh now  ;D [ This was to prove a point that Catlemur was making ]
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:39:14 am by Soloyos »

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 02:10:37 pm »
It's generally better to error on the side of being positive, so I agree with the majority of the comments -- we should only be able to give positive Karma. I remember when we had a Karma system before. The mods quickly got rid of it because people were worried it was being misused. The old discussion thread probably still exists if someone has the time to dig it up.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:49:06 pm by zanzibar »
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

bilbous

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 02:14:26 pm »
As far as I am concerned having only positive mods is ineffective because some people (like me) are kind of random in how they post and often deserve to be modded down from time to time. I'd say the showing both +- is better than just a total but turning it off completely is better than only allowing positives.

As it stands now it is mostly going unused anyway.

Still there are always people who will abuse it. Best might be some pie in the sky system with meta moderation and people who applaud and smote were recorded as to the prevalence of their judgments.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2011, 04:37:15 pm »
please remove the font sizing in your post so the text can be read without increasing font size

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2011, 11:16:27 pm »
please remove the font sizing in your post so the text can be read without increasing font size

Venorel tries to applaud

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 01:11:09 am »
Well I just read this whole entire thread, and still haven't figured out what Karma is.

So expand on what Karma is exactly and then I'll vote :)
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2011, 01:15:01 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma

but in terms of forum use, it is a way for members to judge the value of other members by either awarding or taking away points.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Maisent

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 03:22:57 am »
If it doesn't give any forum benefits, I say take it away.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 08:19:45 am »
but in terms of forum use, it is a way for members to judge the value of other members by either awarding or taking away points.

Thanks for that!!

Well then, I absolutely do not want this in the forums, it's already been stated in this thread as to why so I'm not going to waste your time.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

bilbous

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 08:34:36 am »
One thing we need if it stays is a top karma list and possibly a bottom list too if negative karma is possible. You can't keep up with the Joneses if you can't see where they are. It would be quite amusing if one person topped both lists.

This forum definitely needs more pointless stats to look at, how else are we to tell ourselves we are winning?

Personally I would suggest it is more of a way to indicate the relative merit of various posts although it isn't really set up that way. Because it is called karma it should not be perceived as a pure popularity vote, the name implies you get what you deserve. Applaud good ideas and smite trolls. Unfortunately trolls will applaud trollish behaviour but as the Buddhists say "all life is suffering."

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2011, 12:11:26 pm »
One thing we need if it stays is a top karma list and possibly a bottom list too if negative karma is possible. You can't keep up with the Joneses if you can't see where they are. It would be quite amusing if one person topped both lists.

This forum definitely needs more pointless stats to look at, how else are we to tell ourselves we are winning?

Personally I would suggest it is more of a way to indicate the relative merit of various posts although it isn't really set up that way. Because it is called karma it should not be perceived as a pure popularity vote, the name implies you get what you deserve. Applaud good ideas and smite trolls. Unfortunately trolls will applaud trollish behaviour but as the Buddhists say "all life is suffering."
I am afraid that karma will bring discrimination and racism though.It will be the first step to +10 applauds or over only forum categories.Trolls are keen on creating clone accaunts so it won't be a fair fight.I knew a nut who created a forum with 10 clone accounts on it only to insult a group of people who hated him.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011, 02:08:26 pm »
trolls aren't the problem. you're labelling immature, emotional people with lack of control as trolls. that's just the opposite of what a troll is. this is a troll.

catlemur, how will this bring about racism? and your nutty friend is not a troll (even if he claims to be one). he just needs to get a life.