Author Topic: Race histories and background!  (Read 7019 times)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Race histories and background!
« on: November 01, 2011, 05:14:26 pm »
Fellow roleplayers! The time has come to finally publish some more background information on the races! Has been a pretty long work and we hope you will like it. As mentioned some time ago we decided to reduce the number of playable races to allow us to focus on fewer (still 9!) but with higher quality. Here are the major changes you will find in the races page:

• Every race has now more information on social organization, religion, nutrition, famous characters and more! The races do not have the same level of deepness yet, some are still to be improved, but all have a pretty solid base of history and traits.
  • We completely removed the xacha race, which has now been merged with the lemurs. The reason being their history and traits were very similar, both focused on science and intellectual activities. This race is completely removed from the history, and if you still find any reference somewhere please read "lemur" instead of "xacha". Game wise all chars will be moved server side automatically from xacha to lemur race. No exceptions.
  • The Diaboli have been removed as a playable race, they are part of the history of Yliakum, up to 580AY and may come back as a future expansion. Read their history page to know more. For now the game still allows the creation of Diaboli, but it will be prevented soon. We suggest all chars to migrate to Ynnwn instead, but this will not be forced. The details of this migration will be communicated soon.
  • The Stonebreaker and Hammerwielder races are now two clans of a single race, called Stonehammers. Their profile is not changed much. In game we will do the change server side automatically. No exceptions.
  • We rewrote the main setting pages and history pages to be consistent with the race changes.

This update provides a lot of material to roleplayers to base their stories on, and allows us to create the future books, legends, songs in line with a solid background.
We left by purpose about 100-150 years open on each race, so that we could incorporate your ideas and stories into it. Please submit your stories in the forums, and vote for the ones you prefer. What we need are high level events first, and then a story behind (don't ask us to read 20 pages upfront! :) ).

If you search well, you can find in the race pages a hint on the next update!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 07:22:48 pm by Talad »

Zalya

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Race histories and background!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 09:39:48 pm »
I think I just had a nerdgasm. This is so exiting! :D I've been waiting for stuff like this for a long time, and the fact that players can contribute to it makes it better!  \\o// I must say, I was a little worried about the Dioboli going away, but the way it was written makes sense. I can't wait to see more!
(23:25:58) Elady says: Zalya are you trying to eat a ruby?
Zalya's RP likes and Dislikes

bilbous

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 11:30:56 pm »
Regarding Kran a few thoughts:
It may present also colored
"also" should appear between "may" and "present."
I cannot find an explanation though grammar pages around the net are littered with this usage. It is because the also modifies the "present" and does not modify the "colored" which would be the case as quoted.

They simply went to asleep
went to sleep or fell asleep. The 'to' is the beginning of the infinitive form of sleep. Asleep is an adverb modifying the verb fell.

329 AY there have been cases
should be "there were." "There have been" is a verb form that indicates recent past.

It also happens in current days, and scientiest
"It still happens *to this day* and also 'scientists' is misspelled. The phrase enclosed in asterisks is optional but "in current days" should be removed regardless as it is an awkward way to express the same meaning.

There are more such notes I could make of a grammatical nature but this is already getting overlong.

I wonder why Gugrontid the kran was not a notable name it the foundational story of Gugrontid the town being changed? surely the dropping of the pillar on this poor kran's head is worthy of a mention in the time-line. It seems to me that Talad's intervention is a more significant factor in the species world view than just the fortress being built. Did the story change?

If there is a more appropriate way for me to make these suggestions do not hesitate to let me know and hide this comment. I see that a lot of work has gone into this update. I do not wish this to be considered anything but constructive.

Soloyos

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Guardian-Bloodstone Brethren&Partner-Hydlaa Museum
    • View Profile
    • Bloodstone Brethren
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 01:23:02 am »
Wow so much information, I'm actually liking the stonehammers more than I thought.

Bloodstone Brethren and The Way of the Hammer  ;D

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 03:26:44 am »
I still find "Stonehammer" a pretty stupid choice ... but I must admit that I can't think of a better one which is not simply "dwarf".

The "extinction" of the Diaboli requires important changes to the Ynnwn too ... they need to have developed from a hybrid to a "wholesome" race now to be reliably fertile. The magic environment will have supportet this change probably.

The migration of races will probably result in a loss of personal body traits again, if you don't care about that enough. So expect a certain risk of disappointment again.

BTW: On the currently known map of the Dome – where would the Great Forest be located?

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Karlyle

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 10:06:19 am »
I was against the idea of eliminating the diaboli race, which I now find was not eliminated, but "moved out" for the time being at least.  I would like to see them return again once many other things are ironed out IG.
As far as how the Ynnwn race continues to develop .... does it need to.  It started out with the diaboli and nothler race, perhaps the nothler has a dominant trait that continues to pass down through the generations.
I believe all in all, this will help to improve the game. 
* Obviously I play a Ynnwn, sorry .... forget how the spelling of the nothler race is*
Come by the Crystal Den and enjoy a drink

Soloyos

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Guardian-Bloodstone Brethren&Partner-Hydlaa Museum
    • View Profile
    • Bloodstone Brethren
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 12:30:29 pm »
I see that there is screenshots for each of the races, maybe instead of them standing there they should show off what the race is best known for, like a picture of a Stonehammer at the anvil hammering away, and anouther one of a small group of them in the tavern. This then can be done with the other races but screenshots of them doing things they are known for.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 02:23:48 pm »
I still find "Stonehammer" a pretty stupid choice ... but I must admit that I can't think of a better one which is not simply "dwarf".

The "extinction" of the Diaboli requires important changes to the Ynnwn too ... they need to have developed from a hybrid to a "wholesome" race now to be reliably fertile. The magic environment will have supportet this change probably.

The migration of races will probably result in a loss of personal body traits again, if you don't care about that enough. So expect a certain risk of disappointment again.

BTW: On the currently known map of the Dome – where would the Great Forest be located?
It's not an extinction and it was never done that ynnwn (i hate writing it!) couldn't reproduce themselves.
the great forest is between hydlaa and amdeneir on the left of hydlaa watching from the center.

Mask

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Without imagination, we never will go anywhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 02:43:14 pm »
How far can we go with the race stories?
It's just an idea, it might contain nonsense until proper sources are given.

First rule of programming: Documentation, Documentation, Documentation.

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 04:29:17 pm »
Ok, the kran page has been fixed as suggested, also I've added the fact they have no gender.

For the stories, start with bullets only, and if approved you can make a story out of it.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 10:05:42 pm »
The new pages are great! Just like to add that the progress with development since last spring has been impressive and appreciated.

- Nova

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 02:53:40 am »
@ weltall:

1) There is a reason why I quoted "extinction".  8)

2) Of course it was not excluded that Ynnwn could have children among each other. But the fact that they were created between Diaboli and elves was emphasized in the settings. I may be biased from the chances of fertility of hybrids on Earth, they are rather low. But as already mentioned, the magical environment in Yliakum will have raised them.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Dramborleg

• Traveller
  • Ye kin no make anyun appy. But ye kin make 'em mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 04:44:03 am »
 ;D
 Great job, Had some issues with the part in the religon section about the Stonebreakers being laanx followers as my mother was a priestess of Talad and am a devote follower. Then i thought hmm, more background info for my character, simple, my mother was a Hammerwielder.
  Appreciate all the work you all are doing. keep up the good work.

sunhear

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 11:17:49 pm »
How are Ghinnori and Ylon Dynar pronounced? 

ketta

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 03:28:34 am »
A huge disappointment!  I have known far more Xacha than Lemurs...