Author Topic: 0.5.9: Common problem - Crash in arena map  (Read 627 times)

lehjr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
0.5.9: Common problem - Crash in arena map
« on: April 19, 2012, 12:22:56 pm »
Machine 1:
OS: Ubuntu 12.04 (64bit with fglrx 12.4); Mint 12 x64 (with fglrx 12.3) yielded the same results
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4200+ (socket 939)
RAM: 2GB PC3200 DDR
Graphics: RadeonHD 3450 512MB (AGP) using only 1 head out
Asus A8V Deluxe
Sound: VIA Realtek ALC850 (onboard)

Machine 2:
Gateway NV53 Laptop
CPU: AMD Athlon II M300 (64 Bit Dual Core)
RAM: 4GB
Graphics: RadeonHD 4200
Sound: Conexant with most recent drivers

I have an issue with crashing in the arena area, which I've been able to reproduce (far more often than I'd like) in both Windows and Linux, each on a different machine. This crash occurs when sound is enabled and set to OpenAL, and when engaging in combat, and drops back to the launcher. I even went as far as wiping my Mint 12 installation in favor of Ubuntu 12.04 just so I could eliminate anything there as part of the problem (despite it occurring on Windows as well) and with that I got a fresh install of the game as well. Since I can't seem to get any console output from the Windows version, and the error log doesn't contain any useful information, all I have to fall back on is console output from the Linux version. This is where the crash occurs, first spitting out a random number of (maybe a 100 or more) errors pointing to the same line but with different EID's:
Code: [Select]
Thu Apr 19 11:38:21 2012, <src/client/psclientdr.cpp:223 HandleDeadReckon SEVERE>
Thu Apr 19 11:38:21 2012, Got DR message for unknown entity EID:25709.
Thu Apr 19 11:38:21 2012, <src/client/psclientdr.cpp:223 HandleDeadReckon SEVERE>
Thu Apr 19 11:38:21 2012, Got DR message for unknown entity EID:31189.
and after that, spitting out this error after which it drops back to the launcher:
Thu Apr 19 11:39:22 2012, <src/plugins/common/soundmanager/data.cpp:167 LoadSoundFile SEVERE>
Thu Apr 19 11:39:22 2012, Can't load file 'combat.arena'!
NOTIFY: loading plugin instance for crystalspace.sndsys.renderer.openal
DEBUG: Initializing OpenAL sound system

All I have to do to reproduce this error is log in and attack something in the arena area, although I did manage to attack 1 rat on the first login after updating, but after that the error occurs every time with sound enabled.

I did file a bug report http://70.32.40.136/flyspray/index.php?do=details&task_id=5579, but I fear there isn't enough useful information in there for a dev to know where to start. The only thing I know is that this bug existed before the most recent updates and I haven't seen anyone else with the same issue, so far anyway.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:35:59 pm by Talad »

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
Re: Can't load file 'combat.arena' Windows and Linux
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 04:54:59 pm »
installed the last update?

Tuux

• Associate Developer
  • Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 05:24:04 pm »
Hello,

Please edit "art/soundlib.xml" file then add it line :
<Sound name="combat.arena"            file="/planeshift/art/music/battle/main.ogg" /> <!--LOOPSTART="-321615"-->
at the end of file juste before </Sounds> line insert it...

---
Tuux

lehjr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 07:16:38 pm »
Hello,

<Sound name="combat.arena"            file="/planeshift/art/music/battle/main.ogg" /> <!--LOOPSTART="-321615"-->

---
Tuux

Thank you! I can confirm that fixed the crash for both Linux and Windows. \\o//

lehjr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: 0.5.9: Common problem - Crash in arena map
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 06:52:22 pm »
looks like I have another one, this time outside the arena :@#\:
May  4 18:55:01 2012, <src/plugins/common/soundmanager/data.cpp:167 LoadSoundFile SEVERE>
Fri May  4 18:55:01 2012, Can't load file 'amb-day_forrest_4'!

Edit:
filed bug report http://70.32.40.136/flyspray/index.php?do=details&task_id=5625
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:27:10 pm by lehjr »

Tuux

• Associate Developer
  • Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 12:28:46 pm »
Arfff, sorry about it i have never see the warning before and it not crash on OsX.
i have correct directlly the map and put it on SVN.

Yet you can do the same fixe as above :
<Sound name="amb-day_forrest_4"       file="/planeshift/art/sounds/amb/day_forrest_1.ogg"/>

Normaly at next update it will be fixe for true.

---
Tuux

lehjr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 06:46:59 pm »
Arfff, sorry about it i have never see the warning before and it not crash on OsX.
i have correct directlly the map and put it on SVN.

Yet you can do the same fixe as above :
<Sound name="amb-day_forrest_4"       file="/planeshift/art/sounds/amb/day_forrest_1.ogg"/>

Normaly at next update it will be fixe for true.

---
Tuux

Thanks. I don't know how I keep finding these bugs in common areas and no one else does. I guess I have an unwavering ability to break things   :-[

Jjairr

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • The Felines Lair
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 06:46:49 pm »
Hellooo. So I had this same issue, a GM moved me out of the Arena the first time so that was fine. I figured I'd try the fix and it hasn't worked - I feel like maybe I edited the file wrong? Or something. I mean I just copied and pasted the code that Tuux provided but the tabs weren't lined up the same, and knowing my luck incorrect alignment is exactly enough to throw it off... Since code is all way over my head, would it be possible for me to just get a copy of someone else's correctly edited file?

Oh look, I logged in again to see if I would keep crashing and it turns out I died. Bright side: At least I'm not stuck like last time? >.>

Lilura: ralas and Jjairr  be all like "oh i was a xiosia worshiper before she existed" "rivnaks are too mainstream I ride a yulbar" "I was a nolthirir before they were green"