Author Topic: Firearms in PS  (Read 2723 times)

Knightspark9

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Hear ye, hear ye, free ale!
    • View Profile
Re: Firearms in PS
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2012, 12:40:12 pm »
There are cases of explosions in the game, Rigwyn. So one could assume a curious man would try and find something naturally occurring in the wilderness. With Yliakum's diversity of biomes it could make for, ultimately interesting role-play.

But I suppose we'd have to wait until Talad says yes or no.
Ardoin: So, do you drink moonshine?
Earowo: As long as it has alcohol, I'll drink it.

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2012, 04:07:16 pm »
Firearms should be either unique (e.g. magicaly enchanced,non traditional) or not implemented at all.
Gunpowder exists since the 9th century.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire-lance

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 01:43:13 am »
There are cases of explosions in the game, Rigwyn.

Certainly. It was mentioned in one of the theories about the creation of Shindrok's Crater. And with cinnabar, we may have one possible "physical" (in contrast to magical) source even (mercury fulminate).

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 02:20:45 am »

Well, like I said before, its also possible to make penicillin, radio transmitters and receivers, crude light bulbs, conveyor belts - hence automation, and a slew of other things that would advance Planeshift out of its quasi-medieval setting and into a more advanced setting. Is that necessarily a good idea? I don't think so if its to remain a medieval-ish game. Just my two cents.

Knightspark9

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 05:29:57 pm »

Well, like I said before, its also possible to make penicillin, radio transmitters and receivers, crude light bulbs, conveyor belts - hence automation, and a slew of other things that would advance Planeshift out of its quasi-medieval setting and into a more advanced setting. Is that necessarily a good idea? I don't think so if its to remain a medieval-ish game. Just my two cents.

During the medieval era, cannons were used, and slightly out of that, primitive firearms. Considering Yliakum's current development, it'd make sense.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 01:45:43 am »
But Yliakum is not "Earth in medieval times", just similar. There may e.g. be no need due to the avaialble magic.

If Talad decides not to implement it, it won't be implemented. At least not "soon™".

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 01:47:49 am »
During the medieval era, cannons were used, and slightly out of that, primitive firearms. Considering Yliakum's current development, it'd make sense.

The thing is, Yliakum is not medieval Europe.

We've already established that it could be possible.  But since the settings we're talking about aren't real there's no way of knowing unless one of the settings devs tells us how technology developed in PS.  The point is, saying they're possible isn't enough of an argument to get them implemented in my opinion.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

carua

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2012, 06:53:35 am »
Bear in mind the reason they were so prevalent, was warfare and as far as I know things like invasions or defending against an army does not occur in Yliakum,the octarchy are the authority for the entire world there's no large scale conflict in order for them to develop siege weapons like that.We would drop from a pterosaur or just use summon rocks to do the work for us.There are plenty of fantasy thing that fit in where firearms would.
But well done to Vankseal in having a well thought out argument for firearms,its good to see you made a real effort and thought about it

Knightspark9

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2012, 03:50:20 pm »
@Carua: Of course not siege weaponry; but something of a slightly lighter touch would be useful. Magic can be used certainly, but some people mistrust it, and some even go for technology. Ie, the winch workers. It's a mix of magic and engineering, but engineering takes a spin on common items as well. IE mechanical lock-boxes using number codes.

I doubt it could be used for just siege weaponry, considering the horrors that lurk in the stone labyrinths. It doesn't just make it possible, it makes sense, and could benefit the game.

@Tman: I've already explained my arguments to you.

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2012, 04:12:50 pm »
@Tman: I've already explained my arguments to you.

From what I can tell you haven't made any arguments for why firearms would be better for the game than crossbows, enchanted bows/arrows, etc.  In my opinion these would improve gameplay without disrupting the settings and overall feel of the game/genre.

Knightspark9

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2012, 04:15:05 pm »
@Tman: I did talk a lot about range, damage, etc. Crossbows just cant fulfill that. Besides; it's hardly disrupting the genre when it can help PS both mechanics-wise and role-play wise. As far as I'm concerned, add them both, add to the immersion.

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2012, 04:36:32 pm »
Crude medieval firearms would actually have significantly lower accuracy, and therefore much shorter range, than things like longbows.  Even as recently as the American Revoultion in the 1770s and 1780s it was estimated that 1 in every 200-300 bullets actually killed its target.  Much of the fighting was done with blades and bayonets.

And as far as damage, yeah I suppose a gun would do more.  But realistically an arrow to the chest and a gun to the chest are both going to kill you anyway.  The idea of "damage" is really more of a video game phenomenon.

Knightspark9

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2012, 07:03:28 pm »
#tman: It all depended on the gun. Besides; a speeding bullet would cause more damage. If an arrow hit, even from something like a longbow, a hot ball of lead would kill or cause more pain. Video game phenomenon's give off very odd viewpoints. But depending on the rifle, then it could very well be effective.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2012, 10:41:08 pm »

To me, something is lost when you add guns. I'm not sure what you would call it. There's something awesome about a good sword fight where skill and balls come into play. Magic gives fantasy, or high fantasy a kind of flavor and mystique thats not found in modern settings. Together, they fit quite nicely.  When one person whips out a sword or casts a spell, and the other pulls out a gun and busts a cap in their opponent's ass, that just ruins it for me. At that point, it is no longer fantasy/high fantasy...

Hell, we could introduce 10 gallon hats, cowboy boots, lassos, revolvers... Oooh! we could even have shoot outs.. where two players start out back to back, take 20 paces, then turn and fire at each other. Add in a gold rush, poker cards, a piano with some Ho in fishnets and a frilly hat sitting on top while its played ... sounds like another genre right? But it COULD be done... so why not?

Just because you COULD does not necessarily mean you SHOULD.

Knightspark9

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2012, 11:01:58 pm »
@Rigwyn: Of course; but these are primitive firearms. To me, they'd actually add immersion. In addition to being good role-play.