Author Topic: Creating Character  (Read 1135 times)

stripedumbrella

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Creating Character
« on: June 07, 2012, 02:26:55 pm »
When i create a character I type in first and last name. After that I continue by click the weird names. I am assuming race or class. As soon as I click them it freezes my computer. I cant use task manager or restart my laptop... I have to unplug and wait for it to die -_-... I tried it TWICE now...

operating system stuff is XP 1.50GHz 0.99 GB of RAM
XP

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Creating Character
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 01:21:26 am »
Welcome to the PS forums.

Well, this reaction is very unfortunate. As soon as you select a race - and this would be the moment that a model will appear on the podium to look at - your whole PC freezes? Then your graphic chipset is probably not compatible to the 3D techniques PlaneShift uses; or your graphic driver is at least outdated.

More details about your GPU (graphic chip) would be useful; but to be true, already your few bits of hardware information (1.5 GHz, 1 GB RAM) don't look very promising. You shouldn't try to play an intense 3D game on "office hardware". Especially laptops are often below the recommended specifications.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

ChibiBear

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 11:13:33 am »
Hello~

I'd just like to say that I too am experiencing this problem. As soon as I click on the race, my computer freezes, and I have to manually shut it down. My specs are as follows (I am a Mac user):

Processor Name:   Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:   2 GHz
  Number Of Processors:   1
  Total Number Of Cores:   2
  L2 Cache:   4 MB
  Memory:   2 GB
  Bus Speed:   667 MHz

Is it possible for this to be a bug in the latest client? I only downloaded PS last night  ???

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 12:19:11 pm »
There is no detail at all about the graphics chipset. Which is one of the most important details.

PlaneShift 0.5.9.x requires a graphic card compatible to OpenGL 2.0 with GLSL support. Means: "Gaming hardware", no Office grade crap.

But either way, no PC should crash completely due to displaying 3D graphics. Blame the manufacturer of your graphic drivers. And then try to update.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:21:05 pm by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 01:55:01 pm »
Hello~

I'd just like to say that I too am experiencing this problem. As soon as I click on the race, my computer freezes, and I have to manually shut it down. My specs are as follows (I am a Mac user):

Processor Name:   Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:   2 GHz
  Number Of Processors:   1
  Total Number Of Cores:   2
  L2 Cache:   4 MB
  Memory:   2 GB
  Bus Speed:   667 MHz

Is it possible for this to be a bug in the latest client? I only downloaded PS last night  ???
I'm a Mac user too, and all goes fine for me. Mine is a MacBook 6,1 tweaked with 8 GB of ram, but this isn't the point, PS worked with 2 GB of ram too. Probably the real difference is the OS, mine is Snow Leopard (10.6.8)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 04:26:39 pm »
Again, no information about the graphic chipset.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

ivotkl

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 11:44:42 am »
Same thing here. When I select the race, game crashes and exits.
I get this -> http://pastebin.com/P5V9gLFN
When I repaired I had to download this files -> http://pastebin.com/c1ijCQqg
And when it seems to finish, it gets stuck here -> http://pastebin.com/997yye3g

Notebook: Lenovo G550 (G550 Series)
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core T4200
Graphics Adapter: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500M (I believe it has 256 MiB)
RAM: 4 GiB
OS Ubuntu 10.04, 32 bits, Gnome.

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • My main: Jamona Shikon
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 03:40:35 pm »
But either way, no PC should crash completely due to displaying 3D graphics. Blame the manufacturer of your graphic drivers. And then try to update.

Wrong attitude. Shouldn't it be possible for PS to check for shader support, and if not found, exit with an error? A complete freeze of the machine should never be explained by "well, then your machine sucks"... I think I don't have to explain to you that flipping the power switch manually can have bad consequences.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 01:24:38 am »
@ derula:

Of course, PS (or even the underlying CS) could check for requirements and quit with a useful error message if they are not met. But as long as you can enable "rlcompat" as renderer, it is not PS as a whole which relies on OpenGL 2.0 features.

And furthermore I believe that the OpenGL specs expect drivers to ignore unsupported requests, but not fail. I can't guarantee that, though, I don't have them available to point at it...
__

@ ivotkl:

The updater getting stuck at the end of the update is a quite known issue. You may have to kill the process. Then check if you have to make the updated binaries executable again.

And the download of Win64 files under Linux is also a known nonsense. But not serious, beyond wasted bandwidth.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • My main: Jamona Shikon
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 09:25:13 am »
And furthermore I believe that the OpenGL specs expect drivers to ignore unsupported requests, but not fail. I can't guarantee that, though, I don't have them available to point at it...

You're right that if the driver doesn't implement the specs correctly, it is of course a driver issue. But if it commonly leads to serious issues, a client software workaround will be better than damaged file systems and angry "customers" who will of course initially assume it's the game's fault. And more often than not I'd suspect they won't try to investigate further.

What's that rule of thumb? Multiply the number of reports of an issue with 1000, and you'll get the number of people actually having the issue. Might not apply here perfectly well, but maybe it does, just with a smaller number. Even if the number is just in the 10-50 range, that's a lot of people that instead of playing the game, experienced a computer crash.

ivotkl

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 10:55:36 pm »
Ok, so... how do I fix it? ???

PS: Issue solved by teading this.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:44:14 pm by ivotkl »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 01:54:36 am »
The best solution would be to use "gaming hardware" to play games. Which usually means "no intel integrated graphics". Anything else is a workaround, riding an already dying horse...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador