Author Topic: Crashing on Linux Ubuntu  (Read 1500 times)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Crashing on Linux Ubuntu
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 01:04:21 pm »
Ubuntu should have the proprietary Nvidia drivers in their package manager (Synaptic). Maybe even in their software library, but I don't use Unity, so I don't use that tool.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

RevanXXXIII

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 05:06:27 am »
Thank you both for your help, I really appreciate it. What I meant to say is that: Is there any way so that I will be able to play the game with a High or Highest setting in shaders? The models are too dark now with the lowest setting. Also, about the nvidia driver. If I installed the wrong one, could it damage my pc? Once again thank you and by the way, LigH, it really does take a lot more to be evil than just to act like mad  :devil:

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 07:08:16 am »
 :-[ No personality cult, please... I don't need fellowship banners like Xillix or Rizin.
__

The most important prerequisite for high quality gaming is installing a feature-complete driver. In your case, probably named "nvidia-latest" instead of "nouveau" or similar.

I know that this driver will match your card, I have a very similar card in one of the PCs in my access range.

Live help in an IRC chat channel may be more useful than waiting for any more Linux experienced readers stumbling upon this thread...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

-stf-

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 06:07:47 pm »
Not every latest driver supports all cards, especially some older cards can work only with older drivers but if you will go on nvidia web into download section, select your graphic card and operating system, it will offer you the correct download (probably latest working drivers for your card).

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 05:35:33 am »
Well, for Ubuntu, I believe the distributor managed driver installation should be preferred. I can't check it before next monday, though...

In german: nvidia drivers and restricted-manager (wiki.ubuntuusers.de)

There will also be similar guides in english. Probably useful: Binary Driver Howto — Nvidia
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 05:43:48 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 03:24:52 pm »
Nvidia dropped support for their Geforce 7xxx series. All cards from 8xxx and up should be still supported.

-stf-

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 06:13:06 pm »
You can still find drivers for their older cards on their FTP server (even for the old nvidia TNT2 M64 - not that it would work with Planeshift or newest kernels, but it's still there).

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 03:57:20 am »
Right, I mean they dropped support in the latest drivers. They still maintain some legacy releases.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 06:43:45 am »
Why the concern about Generation 7? RevanXXXIII already reported using a 9800. And this one is still supported by "nvidia-latest". I have a 9600. It works.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

RevanXXXIII

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 08:06:16 am »
Forgot to report that Planeshift worked. I installed an Nvidia driver like you said and everything works like a charm. Thank you all for your help.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 12:42:16 pm »
\\o// I told you, it would.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador