Author Topic: Getting rid of unwanted items  (Read 351 times)

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Getting rid of unwanted items
« on: January 20, 2014, 11:24:46 am »
One thing I've never figured out in PlaneShift:  What is the preferred way of getting rid of things?  Many items can be sold, but some can't.  In particular, we are now generating lots of piles of dust during the gem enchanting process.  Now, maybe there is a use for this dust.  If so, I've not found it.

It raises the question though:  how can we get rid of unwanted items, other than leaving them around for GMs to deal with?  Which is not fair to the GMs.

Aensor

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Getting rid of unwanted items
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 11:34:11 am »
Dust can be sold to Raw Materials merchants, another way is to put them in Furnace as they burn away there after some minutes.

The situation is not ideal though, a more simple and obvious way to get rid of such items could help reduce the cluttering.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 01:49:40 pm »
Maybe put some kind of "Trashcan" container around crafting areas that gets regularly depleted.

Just my
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 02:01:17 pm by MishkaL1138 »

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 02:15:43 pm »
Maybe put some kind of "Trashcan" container around crafting areas that gets regularly depleted.

Just my

Nope :P
this feature request was rejected already, in fact the furnace act just like a trashcan and the crafting places are already quite crowded with tools and crafting equipment.

bilbous

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 03:10:12 pm »
Maybe littering shouldn't be a true death offense if the octarchy isn't going to have any trash reclamation projects.  By the way how does the smoke and ash get flushed out of the realm, with all the crafting that is done air pollution has to be a consequence. I suppose there are magical air recyclers along the lines of the winch that are not readily apparent.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 09:56:08 pm »
Maybe littering shouldn't be a true death offense if the octarchy isn't going to have any trash reclamation projects.  By the way how does the smoke and ash get flushed out of the realm, with all the crafting that is done air pollution has to be a consequence. I suppose there are magical air recyclers along the lines of the winch that are not readily apparent.

Perhaps the gods are really high tech aliens that have all kinds of secret machinery hidden in the Labyrinth. No wonder we are not allowed to go there.  ;)

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 12:02:34 am »
Some of the piles of dust have pretty cool sounding properties.  It would be cool if they could be used in alchemy.

Just my I just had to one-up you...
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 02:06:17 am »
I often noticed "Piles of Dust" right next to a forge building, really close to an NPC who would take them, so if it was not just laziness supported by a lack of incentive (no profit, no reason), it may even be a lack of knowledge how to handle them. Some players even felt a need to put posters at forges to teach people about the Octarchal Decree.

If you included a hint like "Your local forge owner will take care of it." in the item description, newcomer players may learn easier that they are at all able to get rid of them in a lawful way.

If the Raw Material merchants would give a little "recycling fee" for selling the dust (more than just 0 tria), littering might become less common among crafters, even right next to a forge.

All that is subject to the condition of little bit of goodwill, of course...

0 trias for this opinion, yet. ;)

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 08:01:48 am »

Just my

Nope :P
this feature request was rejected already, in fact the furnace act just like a trashcan and the crafting places are already quite crowded with tools and crafting equipment.

Guess like our problem sorted itself out. Next time I see something being dropped on the ground I'm biting the ear of whoever did it off.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 04:13:59 pm »
Two little addenda:
1) Have you ever held the enchanted dust in your hand while _____ ing? Just sayin'...
2) Maybe there could be a little furnace burner in the enchantment houses, so there's no excuse for magickal litterbox pellets spread about the landscape?...
 ;D
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 05:11:31 pm »
The furnace idea never occurred to me because I'm not a crafter and so don't use them.  Perhaps leaving dust in the enchanter should do the same thing.

If there is a use for the dust, well then, that is different.  Though still, we all need a way to get rid of things.

Ironstark

• Hydlaa Resident
  • LORD OF UNODIN
    • View Profile
    • Green-Flame Music
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 05:12:49 pm »
If Harn bought them for just 1 tria, I think there would be at least some incentive to dispose of them safely  :)

bilbous

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 05:36:28 pm »
You should be able to discard them in any crafting equipment although if you log off or crash before they are done they sometimes stay forever.
Ideally, a ui trash can that was part of the inventory that you can just drag unwanted items onto would be available.

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 05:41:35 pm »
If the dust has a use, it should probably have a non-zero value.  I like the idea of it being useful in unexpected ways.  It this was nethack, I would have tried a bunch of things :-)

For those who don't know it, almost everything in nethack has some effect when used in unexpected ways.  So you can say, "what happens if I dip this magic sword in this potion?"  and "what happens if I polymorph myself into a metal-eating monster and eat this magic ring?"  Etc.  The possibilities are quite fun, and lead to all sorts of interesting experimentation.