Author Topic: Lets make PlaneShift Unreal  (Read 326281 times)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Lets make PlaneShift Unreal
« on: April 09, 2015, 07:11:47 pm »

We would like to present you a new project we are starting, which may change our future.

During the last 15 years we have gone through some amazing technology changes and we have increased the quality of our models, nearly doubled the complexity of our characters, added bump maps to all levels, added reflections, improved NPC dumbness...ehm, I meant intelligence, created new importers for latest 3D tools, refined the UI and more. That's because we love technology and we love to make PlaneShift look as good as we can.

Since the beginning, PlaneShift has had Crystal Space as its 3D engine and they have been a great partner to bring PlaneShift to life. But this year the PS team has been considering the possibility of an alternative. We reviewed all options such as Blender engine, Ogre, Unity, and Unreal.

Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) is our choice. Just take a look at this video.

Now, don't get TOO excited. Yliakum isn't suddenly going to look like THAT. Afterall, the engine and artwork are two different things, but it gives you an idea of what's possible. It gives you a glimpse of the robust tools we'll have to work with, especially in the areas of animation, particles and effects. The entire tool chain will be greatly improved and we can have the support of a very active community with a lot of documentation and tutorials at our disposal.

This has the potential to take us to the next level, where forests are huge and mysterious, foliage is lush, shadows are dynamic and realistic, your clothes move at the rhythm of the wind, spell effects are as elaborate as magic is, where your character can make facial expressions, monsters realistically drop to the ground, objects bounce as you kick them, you can slice consumers in two pieces and see the inside, and where water looks real and you also swim in it!

So as of today, the PlaneShift team is starting a fork of the current code and we will try to port everything we have to Unreal Engine 4. This will be a long transition and it will not be easy, but aren't we the project that created a (nearly) complete MMORPG from scratch? We feel we are up for this new challenge.

To achieve this ambitious goal, we need help from our great community! If you want participate, contact us on chat, and together, let's build the best open source and free MMORPG. The more people we have working on this, even little things, the more discoveries and progress we can make.

As first demo, we are looking to port:

• Our database plugin
  • Adding a console to the server
  • The character creation windows and logic
  • The basics of the in game UI
  • The particles we have for spells and level effects
  • Player movement

As a second demo, we would like to port:

• Combat
  • Magic
  • Crafting
  • The rest of the UI

If any of you can focus on one piece and provide us feedback on how it's proceeding, it will improve our efforts to evaluate better how complex it will be to do the full port. We already made some tests such as importing Hydlaa and getting a Kran to appear and wave. Let's see what else we can do!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:25:09 pm by Talad »

Pierre

Re: Lets make PlaneShift Unreal
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 07:25:36 pm »
* Pierre stops singing and hops down from her cross at this thread.

This is awesome  >o)  I will gladly help out if I can.  I am not sure if I understand the request for help - does it mean that we will just try out our characters in the new UR world, and let the dev team know how it goes?

Because if so, it sounds like something that any of us can do with a bit of time (i.e. it does not take any computer skills).

* Pierre  :love: :love: :love: Yliakum, especially if it gets so fancy.  [Talad, when we do the port, can we forget to port the gender check for marriage??]

Cheers, really looking forward to this  O--)

Truthspeak

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 08:00:46 pm »
 \\o// Awesome. Can't wait for the transition to occur. If I can help on this I will gladly do so.  :)

lucreciana

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 09:26:21 pm »
It sounds like this is a great way to get the game moving forward. I've been following for years but only just really got into it, but this has got me excited about the future.

I hope though it doesn't change the current upcoming features. I'm looking forward to brewing, would understand though if that took a back seat now.

Good luck with everything!

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 09:30:10 pm »
[Talad, when we do the port, can we forget to port the gender check for marriage??]

Agreed.

Also, while it's been made clear we won't look like a triple-A game on ultra settings, I look forward to the upgrades in graphics hinted at here.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 09:49:26 pm »
I hope though it doesn't change the current upcoming features. I'm looking forward to brewing, would understand though if that took a back seat now.

We can emphasize that this is a fork.  So while this project will understandably be getting a lot of attention, we will not be dropping everything.  All the existing projects will move forward.  That includes the new crafting being finalized: brewing, jewelry making, and weapon enchanting, the Shindrok crater project, and even the work on the new crafting UI will continue as planned.

It's going to take a looong time to work everything out...it will likely be developed in bits and pieces.  In between that, we'll still focus on everything else.
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 10:03:42 pm »
This sounds great, but I'm curious about a few things:

1. Does this mean there will be a slowdown in the development of the current game? (division of man hours)
2. How different do you think the hardware requirements might be for the unreal branch?
3. Do you think the unreal branch is likely to run on Linux? ( either native or via wine )

boonet_

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 11:45:20 pm »
A major undertaking: thumbs up! ;)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 02:17:59 am »
First I thought "You are 9 days too late"; but now ... hmmm. So CrystalSpace is really finally dead?!

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Tuathanach

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Arch Chancellor of the Knowledge Seekers
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge seekers
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 02:28:01 am »
This sounds great, but I'm curious about a few things:

1. Does this mean there will be a slowdown in the development of the current game? (division of man hours)
2. How different do you think the hardware requirements might be for the unreal branch?
3. Do you think the unreal branch is likely to run on Linux? ( either native or via wine )

1. This is an appeal to ask people to help especially with code and graphics. With no new help it can be expected that new features that require code changes maybe slowed or delayed. However if we gain new artists we will be able to move quicker with graphics development. Settings and Rules development so new books, quests, crafts(brewing & jewelry making) and enhance combat will continue at current pace.

2. The hardware requirements will (and always have) depended on graphics and effects we use (mainly). We will continue to try and maintain a balance between better graphics and limit increase in hardware requirements.

3. Unreal engine 4 is compatible with Windows, MAC and Linux. So should be able to run on all.
Shindroks Crater Project Wiki
Interested contact Myself or Zunna.
We are contactable ingame, by PM or on Discord

CheatCat

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 03:21:49 am »
Please do not do this. Planeshift is the best Open Source MMORPG out there. If you switch to the Unreal engine, the support for Linux would be more limited. Also, the Unreal engine guys do not like Open Source or GPL so much.

Of course it seems tempting to switch to a such robust and powerful engine, and it is very popular. You have my fullest understanding if you still want to change engine. I am sure there will be huge improvements. But Unreal is not open source so it kills a bit of the spirit in this game.

This make me a bit sad, but you do as you think is the best.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 03:23:21 am »
For someone who is not familiar with the old code and is interested in the development side of it, what is the best way to get started?  ( aside from getting a good pair of hiking boots for the steep slope )

I tried building the client on Kubuntu several times but kept running into problems with getting Crystalspace set up.... ( for me, this was the point where I said screw it, it's not worth the bother )

@CheatCat - you have to pay a 5% royalty after making the first $3000... but if its non-profit, then do they expect payment?

CheatCat

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 03:33:39 am »
Right... I guess it is the best way. I am not sad because you switch to Unreal Engine, just that the Open Source engines become more and more inferior. Just look at Crystal Spaces home page, it looks like now news since 2012. Also Planeshift uses tools that have barely have been developed since 2008, I mean it is probably great tools but technology moves on, to not talk about software development (Linux).

As much as I want to see a great community based game engine, the options out there cannot even dream to compete with Unreal. Sadly.

My problem is that Unreal engine is a huge binary blob.

A sidenote is that another project I was following used the Ogre3D engine, but that is also hugely unoptimized. They was planning to change to Open Scene Graph, but I do not think it is an option for Planeshift. Just to tell where the Open Source engines are going.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:37:32 am by CheatCat »

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 03:39:29 am »
An interesting decision, considering the strong relationship between AB and CS. This will take a lot of time and work, but I can imagine it will be worth the effort.

Tuathanach

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Arch Chancellor of the Knowledge Seekers
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge seekers
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 04:44:28 am »
@cheatcat
In my personal opinion this was not easy to do or choose which engine staying completely OS would have been nice, but open source engines just don't compete. ORGE 3D is a renderer more than an engine and blender which I fell was best of Open source still requires much development and would limit us, ie using old shader version 2/2.1 instead of current 4/5 also other issues like problems with dynamic shadows. Apart from being non open source Unreal ticks all the boxes and more. Although not open source It is free for us to use, would only pay 5% above earnings of $3000 (per quarter iirc). Also it's code is free to view and download. It also comes with a extensive toolkit and there are lots of freely available tutorials to help people learn to work with it.
[Note this is just my personal opinion].
Shindroks Crater Project Wiki
Interested contact Myself or Zunna.
We are contactable ingame, by PM or on Discord