Author Topic: Character Portrait Requests  (Read 5843 times)

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Character Portrait Requests
« on: June 18, 2015, 11:52:31 am »
So I went and got myself a Wacom tablet. It's hella fun, still getting the hang of it though. I got it so that I can finally get back to work on a web comic thing project I started a few years back, but I need practice!

So I'm taking requests for character sketches. If you want, send me a PM with character description and I'll get to work!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:42:12 pm by Aramara Meibi »
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
Re: Requests
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 02:29:33 pm »
Oh, oh, draw Mishka!

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 04:04:55 pm »
description pls. i remember she's a clamod and wears glasses and also likes swords, but i'm sure there's more to her than that!

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 06:05:42 pm »
Mishka doesn't wear glasses anymore. Due to a dueling accident (namely getting too cocky or drunk or both), she's got an eye crossed with a scar. She can see now again thanks to a shaman (thanks Zunna!), but her right eye is milky white. Other than that, she's got flecks of silver hairs sprouting on her muzzle, ears, and eyebrows, and seems to have got leaner and meaner. So draw her with a frowny face? And a belt to keep her tools, too. Oh, and a leather jerkin and leather pants (like those 'dem injuns' wear in the westerns, without the flecks).

To be honest, I think Mishk has changed a lot.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 03:53:18 pm »
Xxaallya

Ralas

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Explorers Guild
    • View Profile
    • Reincrownation :D
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 12:22:33 am »
yaaaaaay your webcomic is/will be back!  You should draw Ralas.  He's a Nolthrir, I think, and he tends to walk around with a mug (or two) of ale in hand.  He has dark hair and is early 30s in human years.  Medium build. 
Yliakum, a really big crystal. These are the voyages of the Explorers Guild.  Its ongoing mission: to explore strange new maps, to seek out new life and new NPCs.  To boldly glitch where no one has glitched before.

www.reincrownation.com :D

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • My main: Jamona Shikon
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 09:16:43 am »
he tends to walk around with a mug (or two) of ale in hand.

Only in Yliakum.

Seriously, that seems highly impractical.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 09:39:21 am »
he tends to walk around with a mug (or two) of ale in hand.

Only in Yliakum.

Seriously, that seems highly impractical.

You're German, if you don't know how to carry at least 4 mugs in one hand you're a disgrace to the great race.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 02:53:24 pm »
mishka, you are fourth in line. ralas, you are the sixth ranger.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 09:12:19 pm »
Aramara: Can you recommend some good tutorial about how to use such tablets? I tried using it with Krita, but it's not very intuitive. Stuff like configuring pressure curves and etc.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 11:41:15 am »
pinterest has been my friend so far. DA seems to also be teeming with such things.

i followed this one pretty much for xxaallya's portrait.

http://ililaz.deviantart.com/art/Coloring-Process-279680716

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 09:22:09 pm »
pinterest has been my friend so far. DA seems to also be teeming with such things.

i followed this one pretty much for xxaallya's portrait.

http://ililaz.deviantart.com/art/Coloring-Process-279680716

Thanks! That's quite an extensive use of layers. I'll try it again. Krita is somewhat different from Adobe stuff, but has enough similarities too.

By the way, is the concept of layers (in digital editors) correspond to some physical drawing practices? I never really had any formal education in that.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 09:23:57 pm by Gilrond »

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Character Portrait Requests
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 10:33:06 pm »
as far as i know, photoshop was the first to utilize layers and layering effects, and photoshop was first designed as a digital darkroom, rather than any sort of digital painting program. most of the layering effects, dodge, burn, pinlight, saturation, hue, etc. are references to techniques used in a darkroom.

layering also has its place in traditional painting media, especially acrylics, which dry quickly and are versatile in their transparency. but in painting, you are painting directly onto already applied paint, so the functionality of photoshop like layers is missing, ie. you can't toss out a layer and preserve what's painted underneath. different paint media act differently; oils for example, don't ever technically dry, so if you paint over something already painted, you'll pick up and blend into the color underneath.

there's also the technique of onion-skinning, used mostly in illustration, but it involves using trace paper to trace over in ink sketches done in pencil, to do line work etc. I actually think I remember past versions of Photoshop had a function called onionskin which pretty much acted as a layer.

i'm not familiar with Krita. My Wacom came with a version of Corel Painter, which does a pretty good job of replicating the look and feel of traditional media. For Evirea's portrait which I'm working on now, I'm trying out a combination of both programs.

I've seen other tutorials which are much more layer and effects heavy. The one I linked to used layers initially, but most of the work was done after flattening the image.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 10:37:28 pm by Aramara Meibi »

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 04:03:51 pm »
Evirea Finds A Clue

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 04:30:58 pm »
I love you.

Seriously, straight up nailed it. Love the expressiveness, which frankly is what I've always liked about your art anyway.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:40:15 pm by Mariana Xiechai »