Author Topic: Postbox Service  (Read 495 times)

Sugares Ganek

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Postbox Service
« on: June 21, 2015, 04:31:20 am »
Greetings friends!  \\o//

What about a postbox for the game? Many friends are offline, but we could talk about work, what ever, maybe a bit RP too and send items btw.
I find, a postbox is for a mmorpg very essential, like sound effects :)

I hope, you dont think about me, that i search only "bad" things in the game, the arent implemented. No, i dont. It's just occurred to me.

Regards

Minks

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Postbox Service
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 04:46:11 am »
There has been a player-organized post box in the stonehead tavern for a long time. As far as I know, it's no longer in use due to lack of interest.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 05:53:55 am »
Greetings friends!  \\o//

What about a postbox for the game? Many friends are offline, but we could talk about work, what ever, maybe a bit RP too and send items btw.
I find, a postbox is for a mmorpg very essential, like sound effects :)

I hope, you dont think about me, that i search only "bad" things in the game, the arent implemented. No, i dont. It's just occurred to me.

Regards
Approved  ;) We already decided we want this feature at some point, we also prepared a set of specifications and features we want and there was a prospect working on it but unfortunately he couldn’t carry on the project.

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 07:39:56 am »
Approved  ;) We already decided we want this feature at some point, we also prepared a set of specifications and features we want and there was a prospect working on it but unfortunately he couldn’t carry on the project.

Was it for one of those magic subspace quantum–entanglement boxes that allow players from halfway around the world to communicate and share items?  I like the idea of the Stonehead implementation, though wasn't around then.
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 12:32:13 am »
I hope the workings of this device are well thought out before implementing.

Things that break realism without adequate explanation look silly. A mail system that can deliver goods, living creatures and thoughts and so on is great so long as there is a plausible explanation and some reasonably defined limitations.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 03:41:40 am »
Was it for one of those magic subspace quantum–entanglement boxes that allow players from halfway around the world to communicate and share items?
magic subspace quantum–entanglement boxes do not exists in Yliakum  :P

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 04:10:17 am »
I'd like to see more postboxes like the Stone Head's one - if there were one near the billboard in each town, I think they'd be used a lot more.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

iridia

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
  • a.k.a. Reniye, Paajah, Morrquea
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 08:40:06 pm »
I'd like to see more postboxes like the Stone Head's one - if there were one near the billboard in each town, I think they'd be used a lot more.

Simply putting a crate in each city at the billboard wouldn't be much trouble, although you always risk someone other then the recipient of your letter takes your message.

However I think one of the main reasons players want to be able to send messages is to reach players they don't know how to contact otherwise.
Problems IG? IRC #planeshift-gmtalk
Event idea? IRC  #ps-event

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 06:45:57 am »
Taking another person's mail could lead to some good spy RP. However, if it's a concern that it would become a problem, then we could use the current messenger NPCs and add a few with a system kind of like the storage one - right-click, 'check mail', and see if anyone's sent you a letter or package. To send mail, right-click, talk to the NPC, name the character, and trade them the book and/or item(s) you want to send them. Would that be hard to implement?
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 12:51:47 pm »
Taking another person's mail could lead to some good spy RP. However, if it's a concern that it would become a problem, then we could use the current messenger NPCs and add a few with a system kind of like the storage one - right-click, 'check mail', and see if anyone's sent you a letter or package. To send mail, right-click, talk to the NPC, name the character, and trade them the book and/or item(s) you want to send them. Would that be hard to implement?
More or less that's the way we want to implement the mail system.
It's not too hard to implement but may require quite some time to code for a single person, provided there is one available.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 01:23:34 pm »
For role playing purposes, this can be done much better with a messenger character. It's the main reason why I started playing messengers.

For gaming purposes, does this negate the weight/load restrictions that are currently placed on characters? Should a player be able to mail 300 units of plat oreas if it was a letter or would there be postage based on volume or weight?