Author Topic: Extra Credits - Free to Play Is Currently Broken  (Read 986 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Extra Credits - Free to Play Is Currently Broken
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 11:00:08 am »
Not sure you have recently done some questing lately (in case I would be interested in hearing a feedback), however some quests including the tutorial are currently trying to focus the players on a "main theme": the stone labyrinth invasion.

This recursive treat is intended to be one of the main "world problems" to create tension in-game and keep the Yliakum society unitedo to some extend and - why not - create conflict as well (between PC and PC , between PC and NPCs, etc.).
Also many in game mechanics have been shaped that way in order to create that same feeling (there are recursive invasion of monsters coming from the bronze doors).

It could be the message and the goal is not clear enough, or hasn't been added in enough place to feel like enough of a threat for everyone. In case this can be fixed, more hints can be added in the quest and - why not - players can even propose more game mechanics around this (like more frequent invasions, repeatable invasion quests, etc.).
I'm sure many of this features can be added, given time.

Being in game is much harder for me, but I'll see what I can do. I can try to get back to the tutorial, since it has been revised a few times since I last did it, and see what impression it gives. The invasion mechanics may need higher exposure though. I'll let you know if I can get in game to poke around regarding that. Other people are of course free to help with the scouting though. :D

Interesting topic. I think PS is very much different from the usual multiplayer RPGs out there, and that's perfectly fine. Okay, that's sort of a niche, but I think it's much more likeable than trying to copy other titles. A big part of what defines PS is the CS engine, which indeed has its quirks, so, sooner or later, it will be cool to see what will happen with the port to UE4. I think this will have huge potential, to keep the stuff that makes PS unique, and fuse that with a modern, shiny engine.

PS has some wiggle room because it is not a commercial game and thus is not forced to have broad appeal to get the most money. However, most MMOs seem to have to cater to various types of play regardless of their native niche. So I wouldn't think of it as copying other games so much as opening up to a wider playerbase.

To illustrate, the raiding games have to have more casual elements and vis versa. The social games have some form of combat. Theme MMOs have to try to cater to RPers, to PvPer, to PvErs, to people who want solo experiences, to people who want group experiences, etc.

I think PS should try to accommodate elements from other MMOs, to the extent possible, so that a wider range of player can find a home here. It doesn't have to remove or hide what makes the game unique, but PS is no longer one of a handful of MMOs. They are really common now and the genre has changes since PS first started. I think it would be good for PS to keep up, somewhat, with those changes.

Further, like I was saying in another thread, even when the focus is on fairly small playstyle, you need a large number of a wide variety of people to get a good chunk of target group players. So the more players that are accommodated, the more likely you are to get the target niche players. I think it would be good for what makes PS unique. We can lure people in with the familiar and wow them with what makes the game unique. :D

This recursive treat ...

Rather "recurring", I believe...

No he used the word correct. That's twice this week someone has used that word, and I'd also never heard it before. (Yes I had to look it up the first time! :P)

reĀ·curĀ·sive
adjective
characterized by recurrence or repetition, in particular.

Don't mind LigH. He's our resident Grammar Guardian from Germany. ;D He's just getting back into the swing of finding typos and looking for misused words. There may be a few misfires at first. ;)

Jessamine

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 11:38:37 am »

Rather "recurring", I believe...

No he used the word correct. That's twice this week someone has used that word, and I'd also never heard it before. (Yes I had to look it up the first time! :P)

reĀ·curĀ·sive
adjective
characterized by recurrence or repetition, in particular.

Don't mind LigH. He's our resident Grammar Guardian from Germany. ;D He's just getting back into the swing of finding typos and looking for misused words. There may be a few misfires at first. ;)

Haha no more I found it funny because I did the same thing when someone used it in game!

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 02:00:54 am »
From the point of a programmer (or mathematician), "recursive" means a special kind of technique which describes a sequence as relation of a desired element to each previous element(s) of this sequence, starting with constant value(s). The Fibonacci sequence is a famous example, starting with (1, 1) and containing sums of each two previous sequence elements. An explicit formula to calculate elements directly is very complicated, in contrast.

I can hardly imagine a "recursive event" without assuming that the result of each next event will depend on the results of previous events. Instead, the term "recurring" (known from "recurring payments" for premium services) means only "regularly and repetitively occuring" to me. This is just my experience.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 04:22:36 am »
From the point of a programmer (or mathematician), "recursive" means a special kind of technique which describes a sequence as relation of a desired element to each previous element(s) of this sequence, starting with constant value(s). The Fibonacci sequence is a famous example, starting with (1, 1) and containing sums of each two previous sequence elements. An explicit formula to calculate elements directly is very complicated, in contrast.

I can hardly imagine a "recursive event" without assuming that the result of each next event will depend on the results of previous events. Instead, the term "recurring" (known from "recurring payments" for premium services) means only "regularly and repetitively occuring" to me. This is just my experience.

From a programming point of view the npcclient code and server code are looping programs, and therefore the term recursive, describe better and more precisely (for my experience) what really happens code-wise than the "recurring" term  :P

Ok I will now stop with esoteric explanations because I think you all got the message anyway  ;D

For sure I agree on the fact these in-game events may need a bigger public exposure. But imo this is not the only feature not very well known by players. A few examples:

• did you know the Ojaveda rogue will not attack character with enough faction point in the thief faction? (call it professional courtesy)
  • did you know some monster can be charmed (and commanded like pets) using an AW spell?
  • did you know the planeshift code host a feature that may eventually hallow to hire NPCs and eventually allow players to script simple quests themselves in-game through hired NPCs?

Of course, that's no players fault, it could be devs fault eventually but honestly none of us has the time to develop and make PR at the same time.  :(

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 10:24:24 am »
Recursive seems to be related to the same latin or french word at the root of recur which definitely means to happen again. Think recurring dreams.

As for those features, sounds like the game needs some events to advertise them. ;D

Thoss

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Explorers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 11:32:57 am »
Think recurring dreams.

language...

a dream within a dream would be recursive.

A single dream happening over and over would be repetitive..

It is the square is a rhombus, rhombus is not a square type of thing... recursion is a particular type of repetition.

Fibonacci is it... or a mobius strip seems recursive... feedback loops... acronym of GNU (GNU's Not Unix)

Now, the Stone Labyrinth Invasion sounds pretty awesome, especially if repetitive... I will have to sniff this out with my characters as I seem to need to redo all the quests...

to make it recursive... hmmm, that would be tricky... (granted, the underlying code could very well be recursive)... unless the people who fought off the invasion then somehow become the invaders in the next cycle.
Thoss Yonbur/Aarnir Irety/Oslorod Krolar/Myno Eljin

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 11:44:32 am »
Woah there, soon we should chance the subject to "recursion - Grammar is currently broken".

I think its good idea that we have those stone labyrinth invasions, but i always missed them. Is there any clear way to notice when one is going on? Also making bigger events about stone labyrinths would be a good idea ( scheluded events probably, would be easier  :whistling: ). Those could be very intresting if executed properly.

Thoss

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Explorers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 11:47:14 am »
I think its good idea that we have those stone labyrinth invasions, but i always missed them. Is there any clear way to notice when one is going on? Also making bigger events about stone labyrinths would be a good idea ( scheluded events probably, would be easier  :whistling: ). Those could be very intresting if executed properly.

:thumbup:
Working this into PS FaceBook page somehow on a consistent basis would do good for some PS exposure.
Thoss Yonbur/Aarnir Irety/Oslorod Krolar/Myno Eljin

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 11:52:55 am »
Working this into PS FaceBook page somehow on a consistent basis would do good for some PS exposure.
That would be a great thing, to get more content to FB page. Is there any other social medias this could be done? Any attention is bonus afterall :P.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 12:02:16 pm »
Can guards pass word that they heard the bronze doors needs extra defenders?

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2016, 08:19:54 am »
Can guards pass word that they heard the bronze doors needs extra defenders?

Do you mean if it's possible to create a feature where the guards ask payers, or tell players BD needs extra help? Or are you asking if the GMs guards can do this?

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2016, 09:24:18 am »
NPC guards. I know they have the trigger to speak when a player passes, can they also have a special message during the invasion event?

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2016, 10:31:45 am »
They already do this.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2016, 11:23:42 am »