Author Topic: Friend having crashing issues  (Read 1459 times)

shaoeaith

• Wayfarer
  • don't worry about it
    • View Profile
Friend having crashing issues
« on: March 21, 2017, 12:57:48 am »
So I haven't played in a really long time and so far the game is working alright for me, but a friend I'm trying to get into the game keeps crashing several minutes after loading in. They've already tried turning the graphics settings all the way down, repairing from the launcher, restarting their computer, and playing modified pink floyd songs at it, but it keeps crashing.

Asked for their specs, this is what they gave me:
Edition  Windows 10 Home
Version   1607
OS Build   14393.953
Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.40 Ghz
8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)
64-bit operating system, x64 based processor
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:23:21 am by shaoeaith »

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
Re: Friend having crashing issues
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 01:05:10 am »
Why don't you post whatever your “friend” gets in the stderr.txt datum?
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 05:35:33 am »
So your "friend" wants you to link credit card fraud?!

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

shaoeaith

• Wayfarer
  • don't worry about it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 07:33:05 am »
Aaaaahhhh deleted the linked picture.  :o Dumb ad they found and we were joking about.

About the stderr.txt, they said it's blank, and I don't have one. Anyway, they refuse to make forum posts and said they'd look into something about compatibility modes and vsync, but does planeshift even use vsync? I've tried to help them find info on this but I haven't had much luck, and getting back into planeshift and rp and stuff with what few people are left isn't really something I want to do alone. Their main computer is messed up at the moment, so I thought playing planeshift with them would be interesting since the computer they're resorting to runs overwatch at 10 fps. Is this probably just an issue with their computer?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 08:07:03 am »
Why don't you post whatever your “friend” gets in the stderr.txt datum?

The Windows version of this error log is named errorlog.txt instead. Should reside in the application's installation directory. It should always already contain usual, never fixed, old known error messages; the last few may be interesting in case the game managed to write out some before crashing (unfortunately, this is rather luck than certain).

It's not always easy to track crashes after several minutes. One reason may be overheated chips in case the game runs on a badly aired laptop or dusty tower PC.

PlaneShift may sync to the vertical retrace signal to avoid tearing; but this doesn't matter much, should not cause a crash. Enabling or disabling Vertex Buffer Objects (VBO) may, depending on the video chipset and OpenGL drivers.

Always ensure the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website are installed, don't trust graphic drivers installed via Microsoft Update (they may support Direct3D better than OpenGL). But intel graphic drivers are a special topic...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Emaline

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 11:13:43 am »
Try VBO.

It's in the launcher settings. If it's enabled, disable it. If it's disabled, enable it.

I'm not so good with the crashy stuff but that is something that is recommended a lot and it helps.
I'm very responsible, whenever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Any Event idea find us on IRC #ps-event
Problem Ingame use IRC: #Planeshift-gmtalk

carlwryker

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 03:09:01 pm »
Try VBO.

It's in the launcher settings. If it's enabled, disable it. If it's disabled, enable it.

I'm not so good with the crashy stuff but that is something that is recommended a lot and it helps.

I was also having crash issue and this solved it for me.

Emaline

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 06:45:34 pm »
Try VBO.

I was also having crash issue and this solved it for me.

Yay! I helped someone with a technology issue!  \\o//
I'm very responsible, whenever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Any Event idea find us on IRC #ps-event
Problem Ingame use IRC: #Planeshift-gmtalk