Author Topic: Mac Os High Sierra installation and launching  (Read 949 times)

Nataly

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Mac Os High Sierra installation and launching
« on: June 25, 2018, 08:11:12 am »
Hello everybody !

I have recently changed my machine (very old one).
As you know (or not) Apple try to prohibe every download which doesn't come from apple store  :devil:
When you try to open "normaly" (double clic or launcher), a message informs you that for your security (of course, what else ?) you can't run that program…
But, if you use right clic and choose 'open' in the contextual menu, you would be able to run it.

Not with PSClient… It crashes.

So I openned the package and launched PSClient from there.
It works
  \\o//
Of course, the terminal and the session window launched too. (a kind of debug window with warnings, errors, severe issues and other developpers informations…).

I understood that none of the developpers have Mac.
As, in that window a lot of problems are shown, if you want the reports, I will join it to you with pleasure.

I noticed a lot of "files not found" texture one, and so on… May be because of the brutal intallation and launching ?

Here is my question (finally :D) : Does someone know the way to install and run the client without openning the package ?

I hope you understood my terrible english.
i remain at your disposal to any information, file, part of file you would need.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Mac Os High Sierra installation and launching
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 02:18:19 pm »
I understood that none of the developpers have Mac.
i remain at your disposal to any information, file, part of file you would need.

cool!  :)
as you said none of us actually own a Mac, but we would like to continue supporting Mac platform. The current version however will be the last one released with the legacy angine, the next version will be using the Unreal Engine.
Still we need to compile for Mac, so when we will get to compile the PSUnreal version we may need your help, if you're still around.  :thumbup:

Nataly

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 03:50:31 am »
if you're still around
I'll be… You can count on me :)

Anaximandre

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 09:28:39 pm »
I've been having a similar issue and used the same workaround, so when you want to test the new version on mac, you can count on me too :)

VedaVelda

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 03:43:07 pm »
At the risk of sounding like a total n00b, how exactly do you "open the package" to get it to work? 'Cause this sounds like the issue I'm having with the macOS client (crashing instead of opening when double-clicked) and I'd like to try this solution first.

Radanar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 11:38:31 am »
These steps have worked flawlessly for me using a 2007, then 2012 iMac and a 2012 MacBook and running systems from Mojave all the way back to Leopard and before.
I’ve tried to make everything understandable to new or inexperienced Mac users.

1. Downloaded the Standard Download Mac OSX .dmg file from https://www.planeshift.it/Download

2. Double click the PlaneShift-v0.6.3.dmg in your downloads folder or wherever you downloaded it to.

3. A quick verifying download message displays, then a window opens named PlaneShift with a folder also named PlaneShift within it.

4. Important! Drag the PlaneShift folder out of this window to wherever you want it to be installed and to run it from.
Usually, the Applications folder is where most will want it. This action will copy the PlaneShift folder from the installer mounted .dmg disk to your place of choice. Do not attempt to run apps located inside the mounted .dmg install disk PlaneShift folder! Programs and files in this location are not writeable and will cause all sorts of problems if you try to run from there.

5. Now you can close the .dmg installer PlaneShift window and unmount the .dmg PlaneShift disk image by either dragging the disk image icon to the trash or clicking the unmount triangle next to the image name in any window sidebar. You can even throw away the downloaded .dmg file at this point unless you want to save it if ever needed to install again.

6. Now go to the new PlaneShift folder where you drag copied it to in step 4. Open the folder and you will see the psclient.app and the pslaunch.app among the files in the folder. You can make shortcuts to these files if desired in your menu doc or elsewhere.

7. pslaunch.app is an updater program where you can also set some game configurations and preferences. You may want to launch this first before the client to make sure your install is up to date.
Double click the pslaunch.app to start it up. If running for the 1st time, since this program was not downloaded from the Apple store, you will see a warning about running it. Open Apple system prefs and select to allow the program to run.

Once open, set your personal preferences under “settings”, or choose “repair” to get any updates.
When repairing follow any on screen instructions and wait until the process completes. Once update completes, choose “cancel” to return to the main menu. If during the repair the program quits unexpectedly, which has often happened in my experience, see the “Trouble” section below about what to do fix things.

From here you can quit the launcher app or choose “play” to launch the “psclient.app” from within the launcher app. For first run, I would choose to quit the launcher.

8. If choosing to quit the launcher app at the end of step 7, go back to the PlaneShift folder and double click psclient.app to start the game. You may need to again go to Apple system preferences to select allow this program to run for the 1st time. Once started up, you will see the game login screen and afterward see options for creating characters and to start playing.

Trouble: pslaunch.app quit unexpectedly during running repair!

The fix, if this happens to you: look inside your PlaneShift folder and you will most like find a new file named pslaunchmacos.zip.
Move this zip file outside of the “PlaneShift” folder and unzip it.

Inside there you will find:
pslaunch.app
art folder (with pslaunch.zip inside)
data folder (with gui folder and pslaunch.xml inside it)

Move or copy the pslaunch.app, and the 2 zipped files still zipped (but not their entire folders), to the same named places/folders inside your Planeshift folder replacing only the older files of the same names.

Start the new pslaunch.app file you just placed inside the Planeshift folder
Choose “Yes” to update and the process should run until it completes, this time without crashing again!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 11:42:31 am by Radanar »