Author Topic: High resolution pictures of the current game  (Read 1221 times)

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
High resolution pictures of the current game
« on: April 26, 2020, 04:30:19 pm »
Below are a series of links to some very high res pics, enjoy.

Venalan
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 05:02:24 pm by Venalan »

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: High resolution pictures of the current game
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 04:32:33 pm »
Amazing!  :woot: Having a unified world gives new perspective to the existing locations, I am guessing Hydlaa will be the city to benefit most from this change. And of course this makes it possible to have Amdeneir sprawling magnificently in all its newfound glorry. Can't wait to see all that from close up! Excellent work and amazing progress already, keep it up!  \\o//

Psignosis

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 10:31:27 am »
The imagery of the path and trees to the magic shop looks outstanding. The landscape is a really huge improvement. Thats becoming very realistic.

Its hard to see much detail from all those high vantage point screenshots. It doesnt really show much of the details imo.

You guys seem to be focused on porting everything over, which I dont downplay would be an enormous task of itself. I would imagine just getting the lighting right would be an effort in itself.

You guys seem to be doing a good job at taking full advantage of all these wonderful light sources. I can understand why as its the quickest way to see big impact for minimal effort. Those light sources do make or break the imagery. One of the things thats been bugging me, when I look at these images is that the materials look wrong. When I look at the materials on certain buildings, they look dense, badly stretched and with the wrong reflectivity settings in some cases. Understandably, materials bloat game size so I can understand why you guys choose to keep them as small as possible. In some areas, it does seem to work and you can get away with it but in other areas, it just looks completely artificial and fake. Light sources are definitely the bigger problem ( and getting it functional ) but time permitting, I think some of those materials could do with some work.

Yeah, that image of the magic shop looks really amazing. That arboretum looks pretty good as well.

Without a doubt, Lighting will have the biggest impacts... my second criticism would be Materials in certain places seems a bit artificial and un-natural looking.

Examples of bad material usage... Ojaveda Tents ( reflectivity is good, just what kind of material is that? Looks odd ).
It might be the distance but Gugrontid looks very dense. The mountains and greenery look awesome. Far screenshots might not do it justice but the rocks look very dense.

Its probably something you guys already know.

I got to admit, Im not a huge fan of the Lava and the Water in the Waterfall. That looks pretty crap to me. Blocky, un-natural and just visually wrong, but it might just be the distance of the screenshot.
This is a politically correct sig that offends nobody. In the event of offense, I deny everything. Thats right, it wasnt me. In the event of a Civil Lawsuite proclaiming Liability, I bring to witness a cat who walked over my keyboard, typing words in this exact order. If asked, the cat denies all.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 06:06:34 pm »
I got to admit, Im not a huge fan of the Lava and the Water in the Waterfall. That looks pretty crap to me. Blocky, un-natural and just visually wrong, but it might just be the distance of the screenshot.

I think that's because initially CSEngine wouldn't do lava/water realistically, so they had to use graphical workarounds. I'm fairly sure UE supports flowing liquids, and they could change that, but it would require a remake of the scenarios.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 08:35:32 pm »
I really like the first one with Hydlaa overview, as such a view is not possible in PSLegacy.

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 11:33:18 am »
Nice shots Venalan!

Thanks Migg!

Psignosis, thanks for the feedback. Agree the waterfalls need more work, will be a big focus after the test release as we dial in new opportunities visually beyond basic functionality porting.

The lava will be more complicated to solve, but agree it also looks pretty dated. Currently it is just the old assets with luminosity maps and some panning normals.

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 12:24:05 pm »
Truly amazing.

Thank you for all this work!

Damola makes mental note to buy a new laptop this year, that is also able to display all the goodness without dropping down to 5 fps. :)
Love,
Damola

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 05:14:51 pm »
Some more work on Ojaroad2 by the gobble camp

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 01:59:05 pm »
Whoa! That is a complete difference to what is visible with the current client.

Awesome. I really look forward to it!

Thanks for all the work on this!
Love,
Damola

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 03:47:18 pm »
Nice  :thumbup:

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 05:59:05 am »
What I particularly like about these pictures: It is still totally our world, just better looking. We will feel at home from the start.

Great job! Thanks to all involved.

Gonger

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 06:16:27 am »
Nice to see you still around, Rigwyn.

Gonger, and others, should prepare for getting use to it again. Despite the paths all generally being the same, the foliage and details make it feel completely different. Especially on bdoors road 1/2 due to its dense plants.