Author Topic: water based farms.  (Read 474 times)

fergusferret

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
water based farms.
« on: January 21, 2022, 07:37:39 pm »
I am Ferral Aquillian. I am nolthrir and i want to see water based farms. At present most food in yliakum is cooked. As a nolthrir, i cannot eat cooked food, my usual food is raw seaweed, fish, or a specially farmed sea algae. None of this is within the food sources of the other races of yliakum. If you are really intent on putting farms into the game, there has to be the option of nolthrir farms.

Specifics for nolthrir farms are as follows. No need for fences, this is under water so farming is not as you would attempt on land. The basis of a Nolthrir farm is terrain. A rocky area would be an ideal place for seaweeds to grow. They need rocky areas to make sure they are anchored against a strong current. Even then storms can detach some and wash ashore, although most of it will remain. Fish usually have a home area. Some prefer to live where there is coral, while others live close to or even within areas of seaweed. algae will most likely be farmed closer to shore, further out into the water will most likely break up the mass of algae and disperse it rather than allow it to stay in a cloud. If the algae is in a small water based area, it will remain with little more than a surface based retaining system, like a floating string like barrier, or in an area that is surrounded by seaweed that reaches the surface and is not easily detached from its base of rocks, on a fertile, muddy bottom.

As a Nolthrir farm is not like a land based farm, there is no real need to harvest. Food is not collected and stored ready to be processed at a later date, Nolthrir eat their food fresh, raw, and thus unprocessed. Nolthrir food will not have large fish like carp, trout or even bigger fish. The fish that live close to corals tend to be small, same goes for fish living close to, or in, seaweed.

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: water based farms.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 12:33:09 pm »
Nice idea.

I quite like that you really thought about how it could look like for a Nolthrir.

Did you dig details up from existing lore?

Where do you have from that Nolthrir cannot cooked food? I am just asking cause I did not run across it. It makes some sense to me as how would you make a fire to heat something under water. But on the other hand, as far as I got Nolthrir are not necessarily living completely under water even in their natural water rich living place.

I very much concur with your idea about seaweed. Currently I RP that Damola's parents send her some from time to time, so that she does not need to starve on that completely.

A bit of a challenge for this idea is where to allow for that? And how to distribute underwater space between different players, especially as there won't be fences as you suggested. As far as I am aware almost any stuff from players outside of guild houses is cleaned from Yliakum partly automatically and partly by game masters from time to time. There are some exception like special books at special locations you cannot reach easily.

But its really a good start and I liked that you actually thought about what would make sense for a Nolthrir.
Love,
Damola