Author Topic: Dev Q&A June 12, 2022  (Read 475 times)

Uadjet

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Dev Q&A June 12, 2022
« on: July 24, 2022, 04:54:31 pm »

Talad(Leader/Founder)
Eonwind(Rules)
Tuathanach(Rules)
Zunna (Rules/Settings)
Mordaan (Settings)
Venalan (Settings Lead)
Uadjet(GM Lead)
Emaline (GM Team)
Zweitholou (Art)

Uadjet says: Hello and welcome to the Developer's Q&A! This is an out-of-character meeting where you can hear about the development of the game and ask the Dev and GM teams any questions you might have. If you do have any questions, please line up at the lecterns in front of the stage.
>Haviland Tenouri winks at Gonger Xaraha playfully.
Damola says: its quite easy to find once you find that there is another way to Ojaveda that leads directly to Raurim
Haviland says: ah, raurim is the vilage near oja?
Damola says: However at least in 0.7.19 it was not fully connected to the other path way and the gate at the end of the way to Oja was still closed.
Damola says: No, its quite a distance. Uadjet gave another tip to reach it:
Damola says: Just go river near gobble village past gobble village and find it free flow.
Haviland says: yeah, that's the same
Haviland says: there's a shortcut from oja to the village
>Haviland Tenouri listens intently to Uadjet.
Damola says: I found the path way to between Oja and Raurim by going from Raurim. I found Raurim through Uadjet's river approach.
Uadjet says: So, as you likely know, PSU 0.7.20 has been released!
Damola says: And its frigging awesome.
>Haviland Tenouri nods at Damola Etedi.
Uadjet says: It is!
Damola says: Looking forward to PSUnreal event next week before regular event.
Damola says: ^ Reminder for Uadjet to advertise about it. :)
Migg says: Oh, a PSU event!
Migg says: Hope I'm not lost by then :D
Haviland says: it's on the calendar
Migg says: PSU is huge!
Uadjet says: A lot of work has gone into the latest release, so I hope you all like it.
>Thosor Riereri tries to cover a yawn from Gonger Xaraha.
Migg loooks at his hand
Uadjet says: Talad's done a lot of terraforming, and the trees around Gug in particular are quite nice. That's just my opinion, of course, but I spent some time watching them swap in the breeze in the last few days.
Migg says: thought I'd lost it
Damola says: Not completely positive about it, but might be that Damola sitting on mount in wrong direction bug is solved with 0.7.20. But as it does not happen all the time can't say for sure yet.
Damola says: Yeah trees changed. More regional now.
Damola says: And a lot more variety.
Migg says: There was a hole in the walls of the Winch area
Migg says: you could passs under them
Damola grins "Everyone has a staff, so now Damola has, too."
Migg says: idk if that is among the fixes
Uadjet says: A new section of Oja is now open for people to explore.
Haviland says: at least I've found fewer holes in the ground compared to legacy :p
Damola says: Yeah, posted a few teaser screenshots at the forum.
Damola looks worriedly to Haviland "Will there be no inofficial places anymore?"
Uadjet says: And as previously mentioned by you lot, the Dermorian town of Raurim has appeared on the Irifon River.
Damola then grins "I bet there will still be some. Devs can't find everything."
Haviland says: I just found one in amdeneir today. Looking at this big city from beneath is impressive
Uadjet says: I was just in Amdeneir today, and there are still places where the map needs a bit of touching up.
Damola says: Yeah, Amdenair changed and improved the most of all the cities, I'd say. But Oja is impressive as well.
Uadjet says: There is now a compass available for players.
Uadjet says: Once you have it, you hold it in your hand to use it.
Haviland says: yay, the compass is great
Damola says: Sometimes it would be lovely to report a bug with position and viewing angle directly from within PSUnreal. Might be an interesting feature once PSUnreal is live. Ideally with a way to preview the text and edit the text being sent.
Migg cheerss for the compass
Uadjet says: Getting location is easy enough with /pos, but viewing angle is trickier.
Damola says: Yeah, I bought some compasses. However not sure how to use it yet. Need to learn about the direction and see whether there is a map somewhere.
Damola says: Yeah, found that /pos works in PSUnreal meanwhile.
Migg says: so this begs the question, where does the compass point at?
Damola says: It for sure has interesting symbols on it. Now the usual North, South, West, East kind of thing.
Uadjet says: The compass points "North", so we do have one.
>Anysu Atani salutes Uadjet with respect.
Damola says: Yeah, but the symbols are different.
Uadjet says: Unless I missed something, if you're in Hydlaa it'll point in the direction of BD.
>Anysu Atani grins at Uadjet impishly.
Anysu says: Thanks
Damola says: I expect some lore to go with it.
Damola says: As far as releasenotes go there will be a quest to obtain it.
Haviland says: talad mentioned there will be a quest to get the compass
Uadjet says: Yes, but for now you can buy it in Oja.
Damola says: Yeah, right now you can just buy it from Toda.
Damola says: (But as I expect database will be synced one last time before the final switch to PS, I expect all bought compasses to be lost again, so one still needs to do the quest to obtain it)
Damola says: *PSUnreal that is.
Migg says: aren't they synced every new downloadable release?
Uadjet says: Yes. The things your characters do in PSU now arent' kept long term. Each new release the database is copied over and any changes in PSU are overwritten.
Damola says: Not sure, Migg. But seems like it. I see that position of char gets resetted every now and then.
Damola says: Ah, Uadjet clarified.
Migg says: Teaches people material possessions are temporal
Haviland says: buy some torches before you explore PSU :-)
Migg says: ah, to feed your pets?
Damola says: Yeah, I am not yet quite happy with the rendering of Magic Light. It does not light very much, is my impression.
Uadjet says: Oh, and there are new pet abilities in the pet window, though I don't think they're working yet. They'll give you an idea of what's to come, though.
Migg says: It was among the things changed
Migg says: magic light
Uadjet says: The torch certainly illuminates a lot.
Haviland says: at least torches make sense now
Migg says: idk, would this staff illuminate like a torch?
Anysu says: Never used torches in Legacy here
Haviland says: I wish it does
Migg says: or is the staff effects not ported yet?
Uadjet says: I don't know, actually. I don't think the visual effects of the staves are working in PSU. They weren't the last time I checked.
Damola says: Yeah, Migg, but still not lighting enough IMHO. Will try torch.
Uadjet says: Talad's also done some work on music, so don't think that's been forgotten!
Uadjet says: Oh, I'm referring to music that players can play.
Damola says: Situation in PSUnreal with database copy on each release gives your char freedom to do all kind of crazy stuff without having to face long term consequences :). However I decided that Damola remembers what she experiences during GM events in PSUnreal.
Uadjet says: Not the background music.
Migg says: Yay!
Damola says: Otherwise I would need to remember where each event has been.
Uadjet says: I couldn't remember that, and I ran them!
Damola says: It is amazing Uadjet, that you so far did not mix different story lines in events by accident!
Damola says: Any other news regarding PSUnreal?
Uadjet says: Let's see... Foliage redone, map fixes, Raurim, new Dsar in Oja, the compass, bugfixing...
Damola says: Its a lot already.
Uadjet says: I think I mentioned all of that. Or someone else did so. :)
Damola says: Anything new since 0.7.20?
Damola says: Otherwise any Q?
Uadjet says: Right now I'm working on populating the town of Delving (farming town) and the new sections of Amdeneir.
Uadjet says: I'm doing it by family units before I start placing NPCs, so not every NPC needs their own home and and can mark off houses as being owned by NPCs right away.
Uadjet says: Question, Damola?
Damola says: Tried swimming there again. Works nicely enough, but do not know how to actually stay above water. Seems Damola prefers to dive.
Damola nods
Damola says: About compass, are there any plans for a kind of mapping feature? I think it would be good to link it to some map drawing skill and quest chain.
Uadjet says: Ah, swimming is still being worked on. It's better, but up and down movement is still in need of improvement.
Damola says: And you'd need to equip compass, ink and paper in order to draw map.
Uadjet says: I don't know about that. How much detail would the map have?
Damola finds that is is areally easily to get lost in PSUnreal
Damola says: The landscape is vast!
Uadjet says: It's possible to make a basic map of the game world including basic things like bodies of water, cities, and roads. Stalagmites and mountains too, I think. That could be used as the result of the mapping feating. I don't know how hard it would be to make, though.
Damola says: Probably not too much, but would be nice if char could draw in cities and such… or char could buy map of an area and together with compass and skill will get a marking on where they are.
Damola says: Well, can certainly be done after final switch to PSUnreal. But I think would be nice to have. Not as automatic as in other games, but embedded in lore and player has to do something for it.
Damola says: Anyone found themselves running around aimlessly in PSUnreal to find something? I certainly did.
Haviland says: yeah, there are many roads leading to nowhere. Stilll some work to do.
Haviland says: But with a compass you can at least run in the right direction
Haviland says: finding amdeneir by foot is an adventure
Haviland says: with beautiful sights, though
Haviland says: and a ballon hanging in the sky ;)
Damola says: Yeah, I often enough followed roads that suddenly disappeared.
Uadjet says: I know what you mean. I left Hydlaa to go to Amdeneir and found myself at the Irifon River. By Raurim. I was off by 90 degrees adn didn't notice.
Damola says: Ah, yeah, I found that baloon as well.
Damola says: Well there is certainly a job opportunity for a travel guide. Especially for new players we hopefully get once we are playing on PSUnreal.
Migg says: time to resurrect the traveler's guuild?
Haviland says: I definitly need a tour guide for PSU :-)
Damola says: Auto rotate bug once again.
Damola does not like to be married to marble bench.
Uadjet says: I think road signs marking the paths to major locations (cities, towns, forts, etc) are likely the easiest solution.
Damola likes it up here.
Uadjet says: Any other questions?
Damola says: Not bad!
Damola grins
Uadjet says: If not, I think I'll bring the meeting to a close early so that I can attend to some RL stuff.
Damola says: No Q left for me.
Haviland says: thank you for reporting
Haviland says: good night everyone
Uadjet says: In that case, we'll bring the meeting to a close. Thank you all for coming, and I'll see you again at the next meeting in two weeks. And don't forget the Unreal event next week, two hours earlier than the standard event time!
Thosor says: see you later there
Damola says: See you!
Damola says: Good night everyone!
Migg says: See you and thanks for thhe updates!