Author Topic: Dev Q&A June 26, 2022  (Read 407 times)

Uadjet

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Dev Q&A June 26, 2022
« on: July 24, 2022, 04:55:21 pm »

Talad(Leader/Founder)
Eonwind(Rules)
Tuathanach(Rules)
Zunna (Rules/Settings)
Mordaan (Settings)
Venalan (Settings Lead)
Uadjet(GM Lead)
Emaline (GM Team)
Zweitholou (Art)

Uadjet says: Hello and welcome to the Developer's Q&A! This is an out-of-character meeting where you can hear about the development of the game and ask the Dev and GM teams any questions you might have. If you do have any questions, please line up at the lecterns in front of the stage.
Uadjet says: So, it's a small meeting today... and Gonger just announced it on Discord for me. Maybe that will bring in a person or two.
Uadjet says: But I'll start out giving you an update on what's been going on behind the scenes.
>Anysu Atani listens intently to Uadjet.
Uadjet says: Last meeting I told you that Talad had been working on Way Points, which are what NPCs use to find their way around instead of running directly towards their target and getting stuck on buildings or landscape.
Uadjet says: To Talad's great relief, he's got the Waypoints done - at least for now - so NPCs should be able to get around more smoothly.
Gonger says: Great!
Uadjet says: There are still a few places where NPCs can get in a pileup. I think they're colliding with each other, and then stopping their movement. But that can be fixed.
Uadjet says: Talad then starting working on infravision and nightvision, so those should be available in PSU in the next update.
Uadjet says: He then moved on to swimming, and now that's mostly working. Before you couldn't go up and down because we just don't have movement keys assigned to that type of movement, but he's got that running fairly well. He also smoothed out the stream in Delver so that the bed isn't so jagged.
Uadjet says: Oh, and he also went around and fixed some of the odd landscaping. No pits from which we cannot escape.
Uadjet says: Well, from which you cannot escape.
Uadjet flies away.
Uadjet says: And he was working on... not lighting in general, but the day/night cycle and how well lit things are at various times.
Uadjet says: I know Tua is working on the faction system, which is quite a bit deeper and more detailed than the system here in Legacy.
Uadjet says: I spent the last week working on populating Amdeneir, and currently have more-than-will-ever-be-approved NPCs for the city and the surrounding area.
Uadjet says: It's mostly just name/role/species/gender/ stuff for now, but I've got quite a few notes for quests as well. I'm anticipating having to defend the existence of each NPC before it's added to the game - and that's a good idea - which is helping me define them as characters, not just 'person standing over there".
Uadjet says: Not every NPC can go in. Some would be inside the University, and there currently is no 'inside the university', so they can be put into storage for later.
Uadjet says: I do intend to fiercely defend some NPCs, though. I love the idea of a limner (illustrator/illuminator for books)
Gonger says: The stored NPCs... :)
Uadjet says: We'll make up a little dollhouse for them. It'll be nice.
Uadjet says: But one of two NPCs could be outside the University, but having 11 staff plus students would be a bit much.
Uadjet says: And I think I'll be able to add more NPCs total if I delay some. :D
Uadjet says: Delver is much the same, just on a smaller scale. It's more families, whereas Amdeneir is a mix of family groups and individuals with no relatives that players can interact with.
Uadjet says: Amdeneir is much more diverse. I'm trying to add at least 5 or 6 or each race.
Gonger says: We should - again! - encore players to create NPCs. Maybe put an example in the forums to show how much or how little effort one NPC is.
Gonger says: *encourage (encore would be French for "again" in this context)
Uadjet says: I can do that. It's not too hard, really. Nobody has started populating Homestead, to my knowledge.
Uadjet says: 'Encore' could also mean within the core, if one is being somewhat silly with the language. Bring players into the core?
Uadjet says: But Homestead is a place that Talad does want populated. I'll get some screenshots of the place and the surroundings.
Gonger says: I think in French they don't say core, rather coeur (oe ligature which I cannot type here), or noyau (the Académie Française keeps fighting a lost fight to use French terminology instead of English)
Gonger says: French people can be funny with their language...
Uadjet says: And yet thoroughly humorless about it.
Uadjet says: But they gave the world the croquembouche, so I won't tease them too much about it. :)
Uadjet says: So that's what has been going on behind the scenes. Any questions? Thoughts?
Gonger says: Croquembouche? Never heard that one.
Gonger says: Ah, it's some food
Uadjet says: I may have mutilated the spelling, but it's a tower of cream pulls and caramel, decorated with chopped nuts
Uadjet says: It's very decadent.
Gonger says: No, it's quite correct, either croquembouche, or croque-en-bouche (the latter making more sense, bouche meaning mouth)
Uadjet says: Talad did say he wants to focus for now on things that would be fun for players. Any suggestions?
Gonger says: A gaming house? A sports center? A bro... no, not that...
Uadjet says: Now you made me want to play Arcanum again. Someone mentioned it a week or two ago, and now it keeps popping into my head.
Gonger says: Arcanum?
Uadjet says: But a gaming house would be fun, and KNM had one outside Gug. Hmm.
Gonger says: I think we bored the others to sleep with our talk on French words...
Anysu says: Finding hidden spots, that are not in a dungeon but a city.
Uadjet says: It's an older game. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.
Anysu says: Or even hidden in wilds.
Uadjet says: Inside Oja may be better. I do love the warrens where KNM used to be.
Uadjet says: And for sports... Old maps do show a Pterosaur Arena. Hmm.
Uadjet says: But we're now past the house, and I need to run out and get sour cream and dill for the Ukranian Borscht I made. So have fun playing, and I'll see you at the next meeting in two weeks!
Anysu says: Hidden spots could be like geocaching. Players find them and take items and leave an item.
Gonger says: I had some vague ideas about an American Football version for teams with 3 or 4 players... but I have other projects in PS context with priority.
Anysu says: Repeating the hidden thing since noone caught it first time wrote it?
Uadjet says: The geocaching sounds fun, but also like a player-run thing. But hidden spots and secrets are always fun.
Anysu says: Yes just hidden spots be cool
Gonger says: We still need books that can be fixed to a spot, but still be written in.
Uadjet says: I think that's a large part of what Talad worked on with regard to spontaneous NPC mini-events. Like a bard showing up in a tavern, or a rogue stealing from a merchant and then running off.
Anysu says: and fun and nice if they aren't just in dungeons
Uadjet says: Oh, Talad did find an addon for unreal that is good for drawing and painting.
Anysu says: nice
Uadjet says: So if you have ideas for little random events or hidden spots, let us know!
Anysu says: okay
Anysu says: Given Anysu backround maybe a random circus pops up with things to see.
Gonger says: Circus? Could be fun
Uadjet says: A random circus? Maybe a performer or two. A travelling troupe would be a blast, but a lot of work.
Anysu says: Yup
Anysu says: Just need a performer or two. But be alot for an npc to do probably.
Uadjet says: It would be nice if our existing performers actually did perform.
Anysu says: That to.
Anysu says: But we ar over time. Meeting over?
Uadjet says: Well, I think we'll bring the meeting to a close. If you like circus performers, there are free animations that work with unreal at mixamo.com. There could be some there that are useful for a circus.
Anysu says: Cool
Gonger says: Thank you for the updates.
Anysu says: Thank you Uadjet
>Anysu Atani salutes Uadjet with respect.
Gonger says: Good night
Uadjet says: See you all at the next meeting in two weeks!