Author Topic: Dev Q&A July 10, 2022  (Read 454 times)

Uadjet

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Dev Q&A July 10, 2022
« on: July 24, 2022, 05:00:27 pm »

Talad(Leader/Founder)
Eonwind(Rules)
Tuathanach(Rules)
Zunna (Rules/Settings)
Mordaan (Settings)
Venalan (Settings Lead)
Uadjet(GM Lead)
Emaline (GM Team)
Zweitholou (Art)

Uadjet says: Hello and welcome to the Developer's Q&A! This is an out-of-character meeting where you can hear about the development of the game and ask the Dev and GM teams any questions you might have. If you do have any questions, please line up at the lecterns in front of the stage.
>Migg Ellorean salutes Uadjet with respect.
Migg says: :D
Anysu says: Thanks Uadjet
Uadjet says: I set the duration on that to 30 seconds, so probably a bit long....
Anysu says: Was funny.
Uadjet says: Gonger?
Gonger says: Greetings. Any ideas when Talad plans for Unreal version to go live? Methinks he should simply fix himself a date, otherwise he will keep adding this, and that, and then a further idea pops into his mind...
Lytoza smiles, "Well it is his game, isn't it?"
Uadjet says: I don't have a specific date. He says the Unreal version is mostly working as it should, and as you mentioned it's the extra stuff and changes that are yet to be completed.
Uadjet says: He might want to get the faction rework finished first, before players start doing quests in PSU.
Gonger says: I may be wrong, but at least some people seem to become quite unpatient by now.
Gonger says: Ok, I guess it is "Wait and See", then...
Lytoza says: ...soon(tm)
Migg says: I would like to see a control scheme more resembling the one here, before the move, but I don't know if that's possible, or if others agree
Migg says: I find it is harder to control my character in PSU, but that may just be muscle memory, or plain ignorance of the controls
Migg says: I mostly miss the ability to stop a run with a W :)
Uadjet says: It does take some adjusting.
Uadjet says: Ah, yes. Maybe that could be added.
Migg says: hmm, wonder when I picked these up...
Uadjet says: Okay, so I'll give you an update on what's been going on behind the scenes for the last few weeks.
Uadjet says: Version 0.7.21 of PSU is now out! It requires a fresh install, not an update from the launcher.
Uadjet says: Summarizing from the release notes, it has fixed swimming, the waypoint updates, the compass (which works!), new landscaping, and tons of fixes.
Uadjet says: But most of Talad's work in the last few weeks has been on getting a mail system up and working that players can use ingame.
Gonger says: Compass and mail system were very high on the wishlists, methinks.
Migg says: no more guildhouse mailboxes!
Damola says: A mail system? Interesting.
Damola says: How does it work?
Anysu says: If noone has houses how get mail?
Migg says: Loxi would be out of a job if she were still around
Damola says: Could be a task for the storage guys? Or we have post office people in each village.
Uadjet says: The last dozen streams cover it fairly well, bu tit allows players to send each other messages even if the recipient is offline. It also allows the sending of items.
Migg says: Oh, a parcel delivery system too!
Anysu says: And I sure not giving account info to get items,
Migg says: are they delivered by groffel?
Migg says: shouldd be in-game mail Anysu
Uadjet says: You go through an NPC. For items, it's like a trade menu in that you move items into the mail window.
Uadjet says: You do have to pay to send items.
Uadjet says: And there is a delivery time. You can pay extra to get items sent faster.
Migg says: Are there stamps?
Uadjet says: No stamps, to my knowledge. :)
Migg says: pity, we won't be getting any stamp collectors in PS
Anysu says: But if not online, are items held. How can be sure noone else gets you items or mail?
Uadjet says: They can't intercept things.
Uadjet says: Items are placed into an 'in transit" category, until the person they are sent to picks them up.
Migg says: And how is the recipient notified?
Uadjet says: They'll stay that way until the right person gets them, though the sender can cancel the transaction before it's completed.
Anysu says: How can you verify when picked up the one picking up is right person?
Damola says: Really nice!
Migg says: should be like your bank Anysu
Damola says: Sounds like the mail system needs extra NPC or existing NPC to take over that task.
Damola says: But I like it that way. So it requires some player interaction.
Uadjet says: Yes, you check wtih the appropriate NPC and they'll only give you items/mail sent to you.
Damola says: And is not just automatic.
Migg says: I'd expect everyone offering storage would also offer mail, like they offer banking?
Damola says: Unless you bribe them!
Damola chuckles "Hahaha"
Uadjet says: In the vids Talad is using Krestal, but a postmaster would be a useful NPC to have.
Damola says: Ah the Pterosaur handlers could also be a good option.
Damola says: Or really new NPCs
Damola ponders of ways to intercept mail for GMs
Uadjet says: I don't know if it would be storage NPCs. I've added a mail NPC (courier) to Amdeneir. Well, two. I'm guessing only one will be approved.
Damola grins
Migg says: Ah, so Harnquist will not delivering any mail with black fingerprints on the envelope
Uadjet says: I wouldn't think so.
Anysu ponders ways mail could be misused.
Damola says: Two in competition would be funny, at first at least. Then you never know who has your mail and probably need to check both. But would become boring after time, so yeah, one per city makes more sense
Uadjet says: Well, I was thinking a long distance courier, and a younger NPC that delivered local messages.
Migg says: or a mail delivery service, and a separate parcel delivery?
Migg says: like mail and courier
Damola says: I see, Uadjet.
Damola says: As for switch to PSUnreal, Thosor and I encountered a bug that the chat does not automatically scroll in PSUnreal if you send a message and its already at the bottom.
Uadjet says: That's possible, though with all the work Talad's already done I don't think I want to try and make it more complicated for him. :)
Damola says: I think that is one thing that should be fixed before release, dunno whether someone already reported it though, I did not yet.
Damola says: I'd say start out simple first… adjustments to the mail system can still be made.
Uadjet says: Well, the mail is mostly finished. The chat scrolling is an issue, though.
Uadjet says: That chat window really does need to be running smoothly, or we'll have tons of problems. I'll poke around in PSU with the chat box and see what needs fixing.
Uadjet says: I think we've been spoiled by the chat window here in Legacy. It really is quite versatile.
Migg says: it is also picky in where you need to click to be able to move the chat window
Migg says: idk if that has been fixed though
Damola says: Yeah, legacy PS has its issues, but the chat window generally works quite well.
Uadjet says: I was having trouble with that, but only with new characters that had just gone through the Dryken Plane. This happens with older characters as well?
Migg says: moving the window? it happens to Migg
Migg says: iirc
Uadjet says: I'll check that as well. Maybe I just got used to the correct plag to use to drag and forgot how finicky it is. :)
Migg says: you need to drag the label
Damola says: moving windows in PSUnreal in general is a bit finicky.
Migg says: another thing is icon scaling, lowering the resolution makes the interface smaller
Damola says: I often missed the right place to grab for move.
Migg says: I like how you can scale the toolbar here, and how everything can be displayed inn one row
Damola says: Yeah, I dislike the recent switch to three separate toolbars in PSUnreal.
Damola says: My screen is wide enough to handle the complete toolbar and I would like an option to turn that split off again. I bet I will report an enhancement request regarding this.
Migg says: could be selectable, like you can have disserent toolbar arrangements here
Migg says: *different
Uadjet says: I know what you mean. The icons are pretty small, but I think talad's trying to keep them off the top center of the screen so target into can be there.
Uadjet says: Maybe it could be displayed as three rows?
Damola says: I had no issue with it being in one row. But I bet different people may like different layouts.
Migg says: like the shortcut bar here?
Migg says: I would love having it scalable
Migg says: like it is here
Damola says: That would be nice.
Migg says: then you can chose how big the icons will be, and if you could chose a layout too that would be awesome
Anysu says: I like to be able to hide tool bar as option.
Migg says: I'd rather have one row
Uadjet says: I don't think making it scalable is too hard, so it's possible.
Migg says: yes, you can hide it here and just have the orb
Damola says: For example with a wide screen even a vertical layout could make sense, so you can stuff it at one side of the scren
Migg says: rater fond of my current layout. I don't think theming would be high on the priority list, but could be a way out of such issues
Lytoza says: Would be ideal for players who need larger icons / fonts in order to play PS.
Uadjet says: Being able to hide it would be nice. I think making it possible to do custom arrangements would take a lot of work, but a little more flexibility should be doable.
Uadjet says: When I looked into scalable windows I think the contents were scaled as well, but I'll have to check.
Migg says: offering a few selectable options would be nice, like a tree-row layout, a one-row layout and and a simplified layout with a subset of the icoons
Damola says: Yeah, I'd start out with a few options, but with a complete arrangeability of everything
Migg says: and making it scalable and collapsible / hideable would fill all my requirements :D
Anysu nods at Migg
Uadjet says: I'll pass that along. Okay, good meeting!
Anysu grins "Actually not having voice not text.. be rather nice...
Damola says: Okay, thank you.
Damola says: Good meeting.
Anysu says: Having voice not text
Anysu facepaws
Uadjet says: We're past the hour now, and I'm falling asleep at the keyboard, so I think we'll bring things to a close. Thank you all for coming, and I'll see you all at the next meeting in two weeks!
Migg says: just one last question please. The DarkStars competition caused some interesst among old players but hasn't been updated in a while. Any news?