Author Topic: Dev Q&A July 24, 2022  (Read 580 times)

Uadjet

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Dev Q&A July 24, 2022
« on: July 24, 2022, 05:01:15 pm »

Talad(Leader/Founder)
Eonwind(Rules)
Tuathanach(Rules)
Zunna (Rules/Settings)
Mordaan (Settings)
Venalan (Settings Lead)
Uadjet(GM Lead)
Emaline (GM Team)
Zweitholou (Art)

Uadjet says: Hello and welcome to the Developer's Q&A! This is an out-of-character meeting where you can hear about the development of the game and ask the Dev and GM teams any questions you might have. If you do have any questions, please line up at the lecterns in front of the stage.
Zarre says: Hi Uadjet
Uadjet says: Hi!
Uadjet says: So, if there are no immediate questions I'll start with a quick update on what's going on behind the scenes.
Gonger says: Fine!
Uadjet says: Talad did a stream some of you may have caught that covered some of the artwork that was done for homeworld stories.
Uadjet says: New characters will be getting a brief bit of history of the world they came from, and Talad commissioned the 2D art pieces for them.
Uadjet says: He's a bit fussier than I am, I suppose, but I think they look great!
Gonger says: That was the work for an Ukranian artist?
Uadjet says: I'm not sure. That could be from an earlier commission.
Uadjet says: The Nolthrir one was my favorite. Very colourful.
Anysu says: Thank you
Anysu says: Great timing!!!
>Anysu Atani salutes Uadjet with respect.
Uadjet says: That's stream number 768, if you want to see the preview for the artwork.
Gonger says: Will we get to 1,000 before PSU opens?
Uadjet says: I was wondering that about 20 minutes ago myself. :)
Uadjet says: Oh, we did cover the mailing systemat the last meeting, for anyone who missed it. I know that's something a lot of people have wanted, so I'll mention it again.
Uadjet says: Talad has worked it out so that players can send each other letters, tria, and items. That works even if they're offline, and the sender can cancel that transaction if the receiver hasn't accepted the tranfer yet.
Uadjet says: He then went on to work on random events. These aren't just random critter attacks - we get those in Hydlaa already - but can include things like mini quests, or special merchants.
Gonger says: I am playing Advocatus Diaboli (in an OOC sense) - Will this not make it TOO easy to help others with quests, for example?
Uadjet says: Well, the more experienced/wealthy player can probably travel to the recipient as quickly as the package will arrive, as a delay is built in for sending items. I'm not sure if it's really that much of an advantage.
Gonger says: Ah, I see. I will push back my Advocatus Diaboli personality until we could really try and test the mail system.
Uadjet says: And I'm changing Amdeneir's barrister to a Diaboli now. You get the credit.
Gonger says: Hehehe ;)
Uadjet says: There are a number of streams on random events, but the part I find most interesting is that events can be set up so that they only happen if players with certain skill levels are present. Thanks can get really complex when you can write encounters that include the ability to brew potions or repair ancient armor.
Anysu says: Can you choose not to have random events?
Uadjet says: You can ignore them.
Uadjet says: This isn't like in a game I won't name, where ignoring a random event can harm you. These are (hopefully) fun extras, not botting checks.
Uadjet says: Although if an ulbernaut shows up in Hydlaa then ignoring it may not lead to great results.
Anysu says: *nods*
Uadjet says: I don't think 'monster attacks' are really the focus of these random encounters. Players can kill things all over the place, so having a trepor show up randomly isn't special.
Zarre says: Very true
Uadjet says: Now if it's a talking ulbernaut...
Uadjet says: Talad has also done a lot of work getting the help files into PSU.
Uadjet says: IIrc, the game will load the help xml files on loading, so they'll be easy to update and add to over time.
Uadjet says: The help section in Legacy is a pretty good example of what can be done, I think.
Uadjet says: It's got the mechanics covered - although likely outdated - and some explanations of game concepts that can't really be covered in a quick NPC dialogue.
Uadjet says: Honestly, I haven't opened the Help window in over a decade, I'm sure, so I'm having to refresh my memory a bit.
Uadjet says: I can say that there are commaneds listed in the "GM Commands" section that I have never seen before, so that needs updating.
Uadjet says: Talad then worked on animations for a bit. He worked on Idle animations, I think, but due to visiting family I missed those streams.
Anysu says: Hope family liked your meal.
Uadjet says: The tart was quite rich, but they did like it. They preferred the much simple gazelles' horns (almost pastries).
Anysu says: *nods*
Thosor says: hehe
Uadjet says: I did take it easy on the orangle blossom water.
Thosor says: with flower?
Gonger says: Sounds all yummy.
Uadjet says: if you're like me, when you get a new ingredient you immediately open it and take a big whiff.
Gonger says: Sharing RL stories, I am free to leave my appartment again. Others lock themselves out, I locked myself IN!
Uadjet says: Some ingredients are a bit too potent for that. Vanilla, for one. Orange blossom water and I think rose water are similar.
Thosor says: don't do it in chemistry class.
Uadjet says: It's like openign a bottle of perfume and sticking your nose in it.
Anysu smiles
Anysu says: Sorry for sending meet into off topic. Any other psu news?
Uadjet says: Let me check my list...
Gonger says: Nothing wrong with going a bit off-topic if it is fun. My facebook friends had a good laugh on me... ;-)
Uadjet says: Thank Yliakum for Notepad++. I just keep it open at all times with 8 or so documents open so I can jot things down.
Uadjet says: Okay, so at the moment Talad is streaming about the compendium. Specifically, the monster section.
Uadjet says: The ability to examine creatures is based on Empathy, so those with greater Empathy can examine more creatures. I'm guessing it's limited by creature complexity, and not just creature power.
Zarre says: Care to elplain, Gonger? :D
Uadjet says: Thosor?
Thosor says: There still is no auto chat scroll or tabs indicating change? such as no illuminated tabs to show an updated chat in group, main,
Uadjet says: Ah, I think he's referring to the 'key' incident.
Thosor says: Hard to play when another person is with you,
Thosor says: and can't chat while riding, don't know if this is in the flyspray.
Thosor says: And I hope Gonger didn't have a large dog wanting to go out.
Gonger says: Zarre, when unlocking my appartment door to leave, the key snapped and blocked the lock...
Uadjet says: Cant' chat while riding? Ah. That could be an issue.
Zarre says: Yikes! Poor you.
Gonger says: No, no large dog waiting...
Zarre says: haha.. ok.. lucky you!
Anysu says: Now what Gonger said, makes sense after hearing about key.
Gonger says: I now have a new and more modern lock with a stronger key... and I have facebook friends holding their stomachs.
Thosor shutters ,facebook
Zarre says: ^ ^
Uadjet says: I have very loudly declared that there is no reason for lockpicks in games to break, as they're not much thinner than the keys. Then Gonger goes and proves me wrong!
Zarre laugh
Gonger chuckles softly.
Anysu says: Can you buy lock picks in game?
Thosor says: A large boot
Uadjet says: Okay, I may have an idea about why you can't chat on a mount. The engine identifies the player/mount combination as being the mount with the player attached. That could prevent the game from displaying /say and other commands that have an origin point from working.
Thosor says: yes
Uadjet says: You can't but them in game now, but once there's a lockpicking minigame with a visible lock pick one might be added.
Thosor says: Have to dismount to talk while exploring,
>Anysu Atani nods at Uadjet.
Gova says: Lockpicks? Hammer + Chisel is all you need.
Thosor says: So no way to tell what your friend is doing, when out of sight.
Uadjet says: Tells should still work, though I haven't tested it.
Uadjet says: Odd.
Thosor says: Will our lock skills we have now carry over?
Uadjet says: Mounts are buggy so I haven't really used them.
Uadjet says: All skills get copied over.
Uadjet says: As do items.
Uadjet says: Quest completion.
Thosor says: And the now tab lighting and auto scroll don't let you know anything else unless you keep selecting them.
Uadjet says: Factions (though they're changing, so some will have new names).
Thosor says: I haven't checked flyspray recently, but I think Damola did.
Gonger says: Lockpicks are more subtle than hammer + chisel. Sometimes you want to be silent.
Gova says: I'm a blacksmith. We like to get loud!
Thosor says: Use the open window nearby.
Gonger says: What about a thief, Gova? The do not.
Gonger says: *They
>Anysu Atani dropped an Anysu's Lucky Tools.
Anysu says: I have that covered in game now
>Anysu Atani raises an arm and points towards Anysu's Lucky Tools.
Uadjet says: There has also been talk about tribes, and how they're being set up. Groups of critters won't just wander, but do things like gather resources. The hostile ones could get more dangerous over time, unless players do something about it.
Thosor says: Isn't there a legacy quest about roof hopping and going through a window? was long ago.
Gova says: I don't want my stuff stolen, so the louder they are the better.
Zarre says: Yes there was, Thosor.
Gova says: @Thosor: There is. I love that bit.
Thosor quiets down, sorry.
Anysu says: Picks for locks.
Uadjet says: Ah, and the hand-held exterior window opener.
Uadjet says: Talad was working on idle animations, so maybe he did a pick for noses. :D
Anysu says: Anyway, anything else Uadjet?
Uadjet says: I think that's it.
Anysu says: lol
Thosor says: where?
Anysu says: lock oicks in front of Uadjet
Anysu says: *Lockpicks*
Gonger says: Ah, very clever.
Gonger says: You had them renamed.
Thosor says: oh, interesting
Anysu says: Yup thanks to the engraver
Gonger says: Great idea, Anysu.
Anysu says: Thanks. It makes opening locked chest fun with an rp element.
Uadjet says: I've covered everything I wanted to, and Anysu's lockpicks have become the center of attention, so I think we can bring the meeting to a close. Thank you all for comine, and I'll see you at the next Q&A in three weeks!
Uadjet says: Oh, and there's a lockpicking animation somewhere. Zwei mentioned it.
Thosor says: guard 'nauts trained to hear lock picking?
Anysu grins
>Anysu Atani grins at Anysu's Lucky Tools impishly.
Anysu says: Thank you, Uadjet for update
Thosor says: ok, i'll catch up on flyspray
Zarre says: Thanks, Uadjet
>Anysu Atani picked up an Anysu's Lucky Tools
>Thosor Riereri grabs hold of Anysu's Small Table and begins to dance.
Anysu says: Maybe I'll see if I have any treasure chest stored. Liked to go pick some lock now,
Anysu says: lol
Thosor says: heehee
>Gova Liernan salutes Anysu's Small Table with respect.
>Anysu Atani salutes Uadjet with respect.
>Anysu Atani grins at Anysu's Small Table impishly.
>Thosor Riereri looks at Uadjet and panics..!
>Anysu Atani waves at Anysu's Small Table
Anysu laughs
Anysu says: Okay bye!
>Thosor Riereri waves at Anysu Atani
>Anysu Atani waves at Small Table