Author Topic: Dev Q&A July 23, 2023  (Read 1698 times)

Uadjet

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Dev Q&A July 23, 2023
« on: July 27, 2023, 11:29:58 am »
Talad(Leader/Founder)
Eonwind(Rules)
Tuathanach(Rules)
Zunna (Rules/Settings)
Mordaan (Settings)
Venalan (Settings Lead)
Uadjet(GM Lead)
Emaline (GM Team)
Zweitholou (Art)
Gonger (PR)

Aachey:  Well, hello and welcome to the Developer's Q&A!
Aachey:  No new faces, so I'll skip explaining what the meeting is about.
Karzela:  Hi there
Aachey:  If you have any questions, please step up to the lecterns at the front of the stage.
Aachey:  You don't really need to, but it's a handy indicator that somebody wants to say or ask something.
Gonger:  Silence...
Karzela:  Too many damaged musical scores in my bag. Think Talad will create something ingame to handle this?
Aachey:  If there are no questions, we can give a quick summary of what's been goign on in the last few weeks.
Aachey:  Ah, yes. I saw that chat in Discord.
Aachey:  I'm not sure, yet, what the problem is. I know midi playback isn't perfect yet, but it is still a work in progress.
Talad:  Hello
Gonger:  Zakena was testing a few things... and the results were not promising. She was quite down...
Karzela:  Hello Talad
Aachey:  As for porting the old music, I think that needs to be converted with an offline tool.
Aachey:  Hi Talad!
>Gonger greets Talad.
Talad:  some parts of this room didnt synch for me
Talad:  I cant see the stands
Talad:  weird
Gonger:  Aachey, why are you turning your back to the others?
Talad:  teleporting into this room has strange effects
Talad:  but walking in worked fine
Aachey:  Yeah, I had to reload, as teleporting here showed a loading screen for a split second, and then showed me where I was before the teleport. Reloading put me in here.
Gonger:  I also had to leave the room, and to enter it again.
Aachey:  And it seemed to me that I was facing the lecterns. I did move to make space for Talad, though.
Talad:  I read the comments on the music scores
Talad:  it's the first implementation and not many people tested it
Talad:  test it more, and report the bugs, so we can improve it
Talad:  any questions or discussions?
Aachey:  I know that I had to use a PS-specific converter tool to convert mxml(?) to the xml files Legacy used, so maybe that difference is causing the problems now.
Talad:  MuseScore should be able to load XML files
Talad:  am I missing messages or none is speaking?
Karzela:  Silence here
Talad:  ok, if you dont have any questions or comments I will go
Gonger:  I am only half here. Some problems at work...
Karzela:  Years ago Eriden helped me with music files, but he's been gone for many years too.
Aachey:  I think it'll take experimentation to check the music here.
Aachey:  We can test newly unloaded files, of course. I'll download some midi files and see how well they do.
Gonger:  We should try to contact ancient players, maybe some would come back. I shared some ideas with Talad and Uadjet.
Aachey:  It's the old files from Legacy that will be tricky.
Talad:  I did a test some time ago to import a PSLegacy music file and there were many changes needed
Talad:  because some tags were PS only
Talad:  but the base was similar to MuseScore XML
Talad:  so it's possible to convert, but will take some manual manipulation
Talad:  best will be to recreate from scratch
Karzela:  Many music scrolls were bought from other players.
Karzela:  Many from player: Grindulf
Talad:  the data is still in the music scores
Talad:  as it has not been deleted, unless you imported on top of it
Talad:  I may add a button to save to file or to view the data
Talad:  but it's a text file at the end
Talad:  you can save from musescore some notes
Talad:  then save to XML format
Talad:  then compare with the PSLegacy one, and see what you need to change
Talad:  with some trial and error it's possible to sort it out
Aachey:  That certainly sounds doable.
Karzela:  May be a good idea to post a step by step solution at the PSU wiki when it is found. Not all of us are tec gifted. ^ ^
Talad:  I assume it can be also automated
Talad:  but will require some work. please search someone within the players that wants to do that
Talad:  should not require much tech knowledge
Talad:  ask to other people, rally them towards a goal, etc...
Talad:  any other topics?
Aachey:  I normally recap what you've been up to in the vids. Seems odd, with you here...
Talad:  I can do it myself
Karzela:  Is anyone working on fixing quest problems permanently, that are posted in the bug tracker?
Talad:  lately I've been fixing various bugs, and adding Xiosia stone table to the new stone labyrinths area
Talad:  also I've been working on the observatorium so one day can replace the  summy one we have in game now
Talad:  *dummy
Karzela:  I've been out there. The building already is impressive.
Talad:  Also there have been new sketches made and new models in work for the factions/organizations
Talad:  progress there is going well
Talad:  I hope will be able to show something after august holidays
Talad:  about quests I've seen some bugs posted, I didn't yet work on those
Talad:  but seems split three main categories:
Aachey:  I've got some thoughts on NPCs and quests for the observatory too, though I'll need to check the lore first.
Talad:  1) the menita puzzle, this is currently impossible in unreal , we need to rework it as Unreal doesnt have the portals capabilities we had before.
Talad:  2) the quests which requre a proxity trigger (so you go in a place and it triggers something) this should be possible, just a matter of working on it
Talad:  3) Other minor problems like reloading of dialogues and such, or typos. These ones are something that will be nice if it gets first confirmed by multiple people before I dedicate time to it
Karzela:  So, shall I assume Venalan no longer is helping with quests and lore?
Talad:  In general going through the list of bugs and confirming those or adding detail is always helpful
Talad:  It's only me working on stuff at the moment.
Karzela:  ok
Talad:  Uadjet is the only other active person in the team
Talad:  rest is not gone forever, but they are inactive at the moment, I would say since at least 1 year or more
Talad:  we need new people
Talad:  anyway commissions help, as some has been done through that.
Talad:  relying on old devs or old players is not a good idea in my opinion
Talad:  we need new devs and new players
Talad:  people change hobbies during their life and it's unlikely they will return
Karzela:  Yes, very true.
Talad:  there are exceptions, but with 7 billions people in the world should be possible to find new people
Talad:  the game got more stable in the last 2 releases
Talad:  server is rarely crashing now, which is good
Karzela:  Such great progress
Talad:  the new player flow is also getting more solid
Talad:  new tutorial area is explaining and guiding players much more than before
Talad:  we need to connect that to the factions/organizations to provide more guidance after arriving in hydlaa
Talad:  so to have a continuation of the progression
Talad:  I have many ideas, but time is limited
Talad:  we need more people
Aachey:  Yeah. Get a natural flow to pull players along.
Talad:  ok, I have to go. have fun
Aachey:  Thanks for coming!
Karzela:  Nice to see you here o/
>Karzela cheers happily at Talad!
>Talad waves.
Aachey:  I'll just throw in that I've started mapping out some possible quest lines, for the new factions Talad has got set up.
>Karzela waves at Talad
Aachey:  I don't think they show on the factions page unless you've done something for (or against) the faction.
Aachey:  The new factions should have rankings, based on your factions from Legacy. Or more from your completed quests, really.
Aachey:  There are the religious factions, professional factions, the six Ways, Societal factions (government and criminals), and finally what started off as combat style factions.
Aachey:  That last group has been assigned roles as well, 
Aachey:  For example, the Indomitables were initially just a group dedicated to fighting with axes, but now they're also dedicated to defending teh Bronze Doors
Karzela:  Plenty of things for players to work on if they choose to do so.
Aachey:  The Rangers (archers) now take that name to mean more like what it does in other places, with expertise in fauna and motivated to take care of the natural world.
Aachey:  That kind of thing.
Aachey:  Some factions have tons of quests. Octarchy and Eternal Forge have 42 quests assigned to them, for example.
Aachey:  Essential Trail (gatherers of resources, like farmers and miners) have 5.
Aachey:  So I'm trying to plan out some quest lines there.
Aachey:  And currently learning about farming so that I can do that. :)
Aachey:  But we're past the hour, now. Please have fun playing, and check out the new additions to the game, like the new tutorial area, the NPCs in Delver, and the music system! The more testing we have, the easier it is to improve things.

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Q&A July 23, 2023
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 01:46:42 pm »
Thanks, Uadjet, for posting. I missed that one and it was good to be able to read what you discussed!
Love,
Damola