Author Topic: Hunting as a group  (Read 1098 times)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Hunting as a group
« on: January 06, 2002, 03:54:34 pm »
THIS MESSAGE IS TAKEN FROM OLD BOARD:

Raze
                            posted 14-09-2001 17:38 GMT        

I would like it so that people can hunt in a group so that people can get to kill the harder monsters with help from others.
    Firestorm
    PS Official Member
                            posted 14-09-2001 22:37 GMT            

Rest assured Planeshift will definatly have this feature. Glad to hear many questions from planeshift fans.

-Michael Gevaryahu- Planeshift Public Relations Manager
    Buechler
                            posted 11-10-2001 22:14 GMT            

Does this mean that say 2 humans can attack the same orc or bat at one time?? Cause if so that would be cool. And on flip side
                         multiple monsters should be able to gang up on players.

These features would truly make Planeshift great. And on Everquest the exp all goes to the person who dealt the most damage.
                         But if the players are in a group, the exp is shared equally.
    k3nshin
                            posted 11-10-2001 23:15 GMT            

is most of the world gonna be forests with big big trees and lot of monster groups?
    Thekkur
                            posted 11-10-2001 23:58 GMT            

don\'t expect that... Trees need a lot of data, or they will look seriously crappy. A lotta data means a lot a bandwidth, and that\'s
                         what a free server hasn\'t. More likely there will be vast dungeons to explore. If you look at the geographic setting of planeshift,
                         you will see that most of the game-area will be underground. Or that\'s what I make up from the stories.

I think there will be underground caverns in which groups of monsters can ambush player, but i\'m not quite sure of that...
                         (actually, I\'m just making it up, hoping to see it back in-game...  )

Thekkur
    Buechler
                            posted 12-10-2001 03:44 GMT            

I also hope there some lands to explore where its not in a cave or dungeon. Such as grassland or forest,etc. (Because I love
                         battles especially between players where they chase each other over grassland) Maybe grassland areas cold be an optional
                         patch not automatically auto patched in Planeshift.
    PS Official Member
                            posted 12-10-2001 04:58 GMT            

Planeshift takes place, as is read in the docs (which I need to update as well, oops), in an underground city and its surroundings,
                         after a cataclysmic event that altered and broke the world. The surface is scarred, and many wonder about the truth of this
                         orange sphere, this \"sun\" that they have been told of in legend. However, the crystal provides enough heat and light to allow
                         grasslands and farmland to thrive on the upper levels. Also, there could possibly be caves that have an energy-flow inside them,
                         creating a small meadow deep within the Labyrinths. Does this answer your question?
    Thekkur
                            posted 12-10-2001 14:24 GMT            

AWESOME!!! That also eliminates the huge grasslands without any plans or housings that you see in other MMOG\'s... Running
                         around for hours without seeing anybody simply sux.  

Thekkur

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2002, 04:05:12 pm »
Thekkur
                            posted 02-10-2001 20:30 GMT        

There are many things I hope to see in this game, and this post will sure not be my last in the wish list forum, but one thing I
                         really expect to see is a large number of non-roleplayed characers. And then I don\'t mean NPC\'s, because NPC\'s all have a
                         certain personality, and don\'t usually operate in large groups. When you take AD&D for example, most orcs aren\'t NPC\'s. They
                         are just plain 0 level characters. It would be great to be able to battle large troops of orcs (and other critters too ofcourse)
                         together with other PC\'s! (wouldn\'t it?)

Thekkur
    Buechler
                            posted 03-10-2001 00:53 GMT            

Yes Planeshift does definitely need group fighting!!
    PS Official Member
                            posted 03-10-2001 03:11 GMT            

I agree wholeheartedly with you, as I too support group fighting. It shall be included, as it is not exactly possible to create a
                         \"battle zone\" outside of the \"world zone\" as some games do. In other words, eventually, we expect large player clans to form,
                         and play out brutal PK wars in the arenas. This will also allow those who wish to NOT participate in the barbarous actions to sit
                         and watch, if they so desire, in the stands of the stadium and watch the combat.
    Thekkur
                            posted 03-10-2001 10:25 GMT            

That would be cool... would you also be able to indicate in-game that you belong to a clan? With some kind of mark or a tag?

Thekkur
    markus
                            posted 03-10-2001 19:52 GMT            

maybe clan members could have a crest or somthing on their shields or robes to indicate their clan.
    Thekkur
                            posted 04-10-2001 01:17 GMT            

The problem with in-game modifications like crests etc is that they eat a lot of bandwith...

Thekkur
    Buechler
                            posted 04-10-2001 01:24 GMT            

Why not do like some games do, and simply have the guild name above the characters head for others to see?
    PS Official Member
                            posted 05-10-2001 05:36 GMT            

I think I will add a proposal to setting regarding this. Roughly put, having players able to add a 3 letter tag to their names which is
                         changeable, while the rest of their name stays the same.
    Thekkur
                            posted 05-10-2001 09:24 GMT            

Good idea!

Thekkur
    markus
                            posted 06-10-2001 14:59 GMT            

yeah.....but the crests would look cool :)
    Kendaro
                            posted 13-11-2001 06:18 GMT            

i would love the idea of having a marking of somekind to show membership to a guild. also though i kinda like the idea of guilds
                         being anon as well. say for like a thief guild or a guild of PKers. they wouldnt like to draw atention to themselves. is there a way
                         to just add all people joining your guild in a log of some kind? that way they would be able to recieve a guild chat while also not
                         showing any guild markings. there can still be a guild marking system like the three letters on the name. i just think there should
                         be an option the player can use to hide them if he/ she so chooses to.

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2002, 05:33:00 pm »
Humility
                            posted 02-12-2001 13:13 GMT        

I\'ve looked at several posts, and i like the look of both the screenshots and the ideas/posts. But what i really want to know is how
                         Players can team up to go on killing sprees.
                         This is something that could make this game totally kick but! Having a Mage/Wizard throwing fireballs while standing behind a
                         large burly and intimidating Fighter, all the while the Fighter is being healed by the Priest.
                         In my own opinion the ability to easily create an adventuring party/band together/group and share exp/gold/Fun! would make this
                         one of the best games on the net. At least RPG-wise anyways....
    King Larry
                            posted 03-12-2001 16:18 GMT            

Yes, I also hope that you can form groups like that
    Washi
                            posted 06-12-2001 10:55 GMT            

From old posts it appears that this idea was always planned, btw Hiya Humility, The idea of friends teaming up to have mutual
                         gains would be an integral part of the PS experience and for that, it will be far better than other games of a similar nature.
    Zink
                            posted 06-12-2001 19:20 GMT            

while i like the idea of teaming up i dislike the idea of mutual gains. i think that was one of th probs with EQ. because you will get
                         people who will go out with their friend who has a good chara and that guy will just focus all the XP to him so ultimatly that
                         person does no work to get his XP. i like the way UO did it were you get gains per hit, but they were arbitrary and the higher in
                         skill you got the less you gained but you still get a small reward of teaming up because you get statiscal fame that is shared
                         with your partner.
    Nightman
                            posted 09-12-2001 17:04 GMT            

Ya, grouping would be sweet
    Kendaro
                            posted 10-12-2001 00:23 GMT            

EQ had a nice set up for grouping xp. it wasn\'t as bad as you think. see there were XP leaches that would go AFK and just suck
                         XP but in most cases that person got booted. ok now the way EQ ran XP was something like this. first you have a zone xp.
                         some zones were tougher than others so they gave more XP acordingly. we will give this number Z. then there was the actual
                         mob XP and ill give that an X. now grouping added a bonus xp. the more members you had the more xp you gained. for a full
                         group ill say 20% bunus. ok now the group of 6 would each take a share of (Z+X)/6= what each member gets from that kill
                         PLUSS 20% of (x+z) as a group bonus. then came the hard part that some classes and races needed more or less xp to lvl but
                         that not realy a facter here so ill not confuse myself with that.....ok now no matter what your job was you still got your share of
                         the xp. this would be even if you sat on your but meditating to get mana so you can help heal the others. (in the UO example
                         Zink showed, this cleric if all he did was heal then he would gain no xp as he did no hits) now this was good so no matter if you
                         were the warrior up front taking the damage, the ranger giving the damage, the wiz pumping a nuke now and then, or the cleric
                         healing the warrior and ranger, they would all get the equal amout of xp from the kill.