Author Topic: Training  (Read 1074 times)

Skain

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2003, 05:45:29 am »
Wooden dummies wouldnt last two seconds, so i assume your talking about non-armed combat, and seeing as more than half of the regulars now have weapons already I cant see where your coming from.
-Skain-

Sifright

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2003, 06:44:54 am »
well clever clogs seeing as there going to do a date base wipe before cb is realsed those weapons are going to go arnt they ....  
And another thing MArtial arts egneraly talks about unarmed combat and wepaons dont always beat unarmed comabat as unarmed is very fast.... a good amrtial artist could take some 1 down using a battle axe very easily as they would have a hard time swinging the axe into some 1  who is smacking them around so fast and hard that they would fall over.... even if there wearing armour there arse ways of doing it so that it will knock them out

Skain

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2003, 06:56:03 am »
u have watched waay too many movies -_-

Go and train for 4 years in something then, then go down into the middle of my city and try that theory out.

What im saying is we will have weapons! regardless of database wipe, it wont take two seconds to earn enough for a dagger.

U talk like an 11 year old who watches martial arts and studies karate like they actually help. My point is, that 3 real fights will do u far more good at learning how to fight that 3 years of prancing about and breaking things on your head -_-.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 07:05:17 am by Skain »
-Skain-

KwartzTheKran

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2003, 07:04:03 am »
Ive just edited skain\'s post, he used me as a reference. I hate brothers edit edit edit, hope noone read that last post of his about me, and yes it was true if anyone did, but the guy was asking for it.

As for the training, Id appreciate it if all u guys would read the old posts, your saying the same things.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 07:07:02 am by KwartzTheKran »

-----I\'LL LEAVE YOU ALL BEHIND-----      ( *hugs Moogie* - sorry )

Sifright

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2003, 11:09:10 am »
Sakin for you to know i am training in jujitsu and kick boxing i have been doing so for about 7 months now and am going for my frst real belt this chirstmas although i know stuff in the higher sylbuses.. and if you think a weapon e.g a baseball bat would stuff a black belt.... well you would be wrong...  knifes could but it depends on the size of it...  and ive been in a quite a few real fights so dont try to act like i know nothing...

Rageburst

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2003, 11:15:50 am »
It\'s an idea that can be abused. If you\'re high level, and it becomes harder to gain more training in a skill, you merely need to look for the books.

In Morrowind, there was no level cap so you can just delay reading the books.... Of course, it\'s very easy in Morrowind to become godly.

Skain

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2003, 11:26:40 am »
bullshit!

U cannot block a baseball bat, unless u come underneath, which no-one with half a brain is going to allow. as out of natural reaction u would move back.

So the other option is to avoid but, anyone with an ounce of strength would be able to double over a swing and make a return in time before anyone could make an offensive attack.

Ill not make it as graphic as before as he\'ll make me edit it again, but my bro kwartz beat the EDIT out of a second dan nearly twice his size, by simply having fighting experience (heh heh he used to be bullied and is nuts ;-))
« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 06:53:34 am by Skain »
-Skain-

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2003, 11:37:47 am »
K two things
1) I believe sifright and skain are both right Martial arts against combat xp the combat xp would prob win.  But if you get combat xp to go along with martial arts, then a baseball bat becomes a twig, I do taekwondo myself and there is a lot of mano a mano in that.
2)Can we get back to the actual topic plz all you guys are doing is arguing like babies.  Let it slide and start thinking how to make the game better.
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2003, 03:36:45 am »
Heh, I liked the Martial arts debate myself.

My point was that you do not learn fighting skills by reading a book.  You can train with a coach or trainer, or you can learn by fighting battles your self.   You really need both.

Spells could be thought of the same way, you could read a spell book, but untill you cast the spell in combat with a 500 Kg Oger beating you with a 2m tall club, you will not get better at combat casting.

Waylander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2003, 06:57:35 pm »
Heh I could beat an ogre with a twig for I am the mighty WAYLANDER.. okay so can we say books for nerds...uh I mean wizards and such, and trainers for other ppl.  Of course this is apartfrom combat xp.
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Zakynthos

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2003, 07:47:36 pm »
I never liked Morrowind, but I did like it\'s skill system, very much potential.  This game should have a similar skill system to it at least.  If you are using a certain skill, you should become better at this skill eventually.  There is no exchange for real combat experience, so of course the skills could be subdivided as many times as needed.

Blue Crystal Magic:

Concentration: This is how well you can focus your will to cast the spell.  Becoming better at this could increase the speed at which the spell charges up and casts itself.

Power: Comes from practice, checks with your total experience on how powerful your spell is.

Combat Casting: This is the \'real experience\' portion of the spells.  You have to be in a battle for this to increase, not just cast it over and over again at a brick wall, or a statue.  The true stress and adrenaline of combat is only experienced in a real situation.  If you are poor at this skillset, you will fail your spells in battle more often.

Well what\'s a forum post without a scenario! ;)

Zakynthos the young mage exits through the main doors of the Wizard Guild with the book of Magic Missile in his hand.  He reads the book, and becomes adept in magic Missile.

Blue Crystal Magic:

Spells:

Magic Missile:

Concentration: 5
Power: 5
Combat Casting: 1

Zakynthos heads over to his favourite rock in the distance and starts casting the spell over and over and over and over again.  After 30 minutes of zombie-like training:

Magic Missile:

Concentration: 12
Power: 9
Combat Casting: 1

Feeling prepared to enter a real battle, Zakynthos attacks some goblins he finds on the way back to town.  He casts the spell he has been practising, but fails repeatedly, and dies pathetically.  This way, even if you are a hardcore trainer, or just looking to kill stuff, you will have to fight some real battles to be better at casting spells.

Zakynthos fights the goblins several more times, escaping narrowly when he needed to. After 30 minutes:

Magic Missile:

Concentration: 16
Power: 14
Combat Casting: 6

As the level of the skill increases, obviously it becomes more difficult to increase it more.  The cap could be 100, or 500, or no cap, that part doesn\'t matter, (although I think many would prefer a very high cap, or none).

This could work with any skill, not just our example magic missile.

Spells would require books, as could/should MANY other skills (Specifically, with jobs, for the alchemists, healers, and mainly *teachers*)

Physical abilities would be more or less completely training based.  An NPC could make you proficient in a physical ability, and after that its all up to you to increase it.

Yiorgos the Hairy teaches you how to swim for a cost of 1000 Tria.

Swimming: 1

You go swimming for an hour, (crazy).

Swimming: 6

Etc
Zakynthos the Wannabe Teacher

Leader of the Renegades - Coming soon!

Waylander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2003, 03:31:45 pm »
Speaking of books are you gona write one,  all my posts fit into one of urs, then again most of mine are \"great idea but...\" then a small change :P.  The only problem is this would be anoying maybe if the thirty mins became say five
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Zakynthos

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2003, 03:51:08 pm »
It\'s just an example, the numbers I used aren\'t set in stone, just so you get an idea of what I\'m talking about.  I make some of my posts long so people don\'t ask silly questions.  I barely understand what half the people are trying to say in this forum.
Zakynthos the Wannabe Teacher

Leader of the Renegades - Coming soon!

Drilixer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2003, 08:30:47 pm »
why don\'t one of you walk up to an NPC in MB and ask for training - hmm?  If I recall correctly they respond to that... don\'t remember if the NPC dialogues have been updated recently or not though...

Waylander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2003, 08:30:48 pm »
Upganedo uise tahma soh cah toa ti pie.  Nothing personal like not at all, I dont mean nothing personal in the way\"I hope hes an idiot and thinks this is sincere\" kinda way I just wanted to say maybe shorten them a bit so more ppl will read them cause they are really good ideas
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy