Author Topic: Companions  (Read 1563 times)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Companions
« on: January 06, 2002, 04:51:42 pm »
THIS MESSAGE IS TAKEN FROM OLD BOARD:

Thekkur
                            posted 12-10-2001 18:11 GMT        

Will you be able to have animal companions in game? I would really like to see that!

If there is going to be such a feature, I would recommend to make it only available to players with an animal training/handling
                         skill. This will prevent ALL players from having have the advantage of an animal, and will also make ps look more realistic. If you
                         look at certain MMORPG\'s practicly everybody has one or more animals, resulting in rediculous sights of villages growded with
                         hundreds of dogs...
                         Having some disadvantages from having an animal companion would also make it less interesting for everybody to own one. With
                         disadvantages I think of; the need to feed the animal, the need of time to make the beast obey you, the fact that animals will not
                         be allowed to enter certain inn\'s (so they will have to be left outside), the fact that you will have to carry your animal when
                         climbing a ladder.
                         Advantages from owning an animal could be that it can support you in an attack, distract an enemy and smell enemies on larger
                         distances(it can alarm you).
                         You might also state that wizards can have other companions than fighters. (fighters wouldnt have much use for a rat or
                         something likely)  

Thekkur

Vex
                            posted 12-10-2001 19:05 GMT            

That\'s a great idea, I would love to see that also.
    Firestorm
    PS Official Member
                            posted 12-10-2001 20:34 GMT            

This topic has been discussed in the past, and yes there will most likely be animal companions of some sort.

-Firestorm-
    Thanatos
                            posted 13-10-2001 03:41 GMT            

Yuck, animals are just not my type of companions! Real companions for me means Frankensteins to go with my assassin! He
                         he he he!
    Hory
                            posted 13-10-2001 17:11 GMT            

Hiring mercenaries would be good too
    Paradagnae
                            posted 13-10-2001 23:41 GMT            

i would love a hawk :D
    Hory
                            posted 14-10-2001 01:04 GMT            

Yeah and if you would be a really good druid you could see through his eyes or even control it

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2002, 05:17:01 pm »
Oldman Kay
                            posted 09-11-2001 17:19 GMT        

So lets just base this on a first person perspective. My character is a human (if there is a choice of that)and I am walking in a
                         popular city where lots of wierd marketplace things are.

Now you walk down a small road and see a coble stone sidewalk. You follow it until it leads to a small wooden house.

You open the door and step inside.

Cages are all around the place. One has a hawk, another a wolf, and in the back you can see a small stable with a few horses.

You look to your right and see a sign saying:

\"Ring the bell 3 times for service. Ring the bell 2 times for directions.\"

You ring it three times. A man with a small beard and that looks to be around 61 or so comes up.

\"Hello Sir. How may I help you?\", the man asks.

\"I have never seen this store before\", you say, \"What does this place contain?\"

\"Ahhh well this place contains what I like to call companions. Friends that are not human(or enter another species name here)
                         but animals. They will be at your side. We have special classes that only cost 16 Tria.\"

\"I see\" ,you say.

And thats the end of that part. Now I shall explain a bit.

The various animals you can choose from are:

Baby Dragon
                         Hawk
                         Wolf
                         Horse
                         Lizard (Like an Egwuana)
                         Dog

They each will walk beside or next to you. There are always \"out\" so you cannot put them in whatever kind of storage thing there
                         is. Besides, that would be stupid.

You don\'t hafta feed or clean up after them. They are like a bit of extra \"fight\" and provide asistance. And are just fun to have. :)

Baby Dragon: They are green dragons. They are farely small when you get them. You must help them train and such because
                         then they will grow much bigger and fiercer. When they are in what we would think of them as \"teen-agers\" they can carry you on
                         their backs and fly around!

Hawk: They are look just like a Bald Eage. Except their head is a miz of black and white. They can soar around and see any
                         on-comings dangerous things.

Example: The hawk flies away. It comes back. It has seen a guard marching your way

(Maybe not how the creator would like it but its just an example.)

Hawks do not grow much bigger and stay the same usually. Also, you can tie a note to its leg and tell it (somehow) to go to your
                         friend who can pick the letter from its leg and the hawk will fly back.

Wolf: A grey wolf. Its fierce and a good companion. It can chase some things away that might harm you. (not much here to say)

Horse: A brown stallion! You can ride on it to go faster. You basically know what fun this shall bring!

Lizard: A small pet that hangs around your shoulder. You can use it to go into cracks of places and train it to unlock doors and
                         such. It can also be used as a stealth thingy (I dunno...) where it can climb onto someone and take keys or money from them.

(Could be used for something like a thieving skill or something)

Dog: Fierce. Looks like a Labradoor Retriever. This is basically for the campionship more than anything else.

And thats the whole shpiel! Of course if this idea was chosen, the creators would hafta do a few minor \"ajustments.\"
    Thekkur
                            posted 09-11-2001 17:30 GMT            

damn! what a long post! :) it\'s a good idea Oldman. I expect there to be such things as animal companions in game, but I\'m
                         afraid it will come later on the agenda.

Thekkur

there might even be things like toads and bats for wizards.
    Oldman Kay
                            posted 09-11-2001 17:30 GMT            

One more thing!

The classes. You pay the old man 16 Trian and you go into the back. (or if there is actaul \"time\" in this game he says to come
                         back at 6) The man teaches you how to control the animal etc. etc.
    Oldman Kay
                            posted 09-11-2001 17:32 GMT            

WELL SLAP MY THIGH AND CALL ME SALLY!

I do not care if it comes later, to just know that one day a [enter pet kind here] will be walking by my side makes me like this
                         game 5 times more!

YIPPPPPPYYYYYYY!
    utahjazz
                            posted 10-11-2001 05:04 GMT            

you\'re making this sound kinda like pokemon now...
    Kendaro
                            posted 10-11-2001 05:49 GMT            

was thinking the same thing there. i think pets are great but only certain classes should have pets. like for example the meak
                         casters, they should have a pet that would stand as distraction so that they can cast their spells. if the caster is in melee
                         combat he is doomed cause he has hardly no deffence. the pet would serve as a, to quote a term from EQ, \"tank\" and keep a
                         caster\'s attacker at a distance.

melee classes need no pet cause they are in there to be face to face and do their damage. a pet to those classes would give
                         them a boost in power. they can take damage and deal it where a caster can deal damage but not take it. the pet would balance
                         the caster to equal the melee. so not all classes should have a pet.

i have to admit i love pets. i have played many classes of past games just cause they had pets. i played druids so i could charm
                         animals, ive played magicians to summon elementals, ive played necromancers to summun the dead, and ive played enchanters
                         to charm other creatures including huminoids. i love the feel of having a companion. when i played a ranger, the only thing i ever
                         felt was neglectid was a large cat like a panther. but i couldnt have one due to balance.

as for this game i plan on playing an Enkidukai that is a martial arts warrior. to give him a pet even a week one would make him
                         too powerfull. as i see the martial artist, described in the race section, i see a sturdy fighter that can easly do mass amounts of
                         damage. adding a pet to this character would simply be too much. he would do too much damage too fast and other classes
                         would feel lesser to him. it would turn into a large problem fast. one class would say they need more power to equal mine. then
                         another class will say now that the other has improoved, they need improovement as well. and so on and so on and so on. it
                         would be an endless cycle cause soon as you got to the last class, the first one will now be less effective.

so in the end, to keep the ballance, only certain classes should have certain things. sure they would be fun for all but what would
                         be usefull to one class would be overpowering to another.
    ParaSite
                            posted 10-11-2001 06:50 GMT            

Pet should also have bad sides, like the dragon always making a lot of noise, so tht enemy\'s can hear you. Also I think when
                         you buy an animal you should share your exp with it. He\'s a party member after all.
                         Maybe your pet could also level up and gain abilities as you do, just like in D&D. Don\'t know if this is hard to build, but I think it
                         would be very cool.
    Ace
                            posted 10-11-2001 09:26 GMT            

yeah i think there should be a griffon and wyvenrs stuff like that and maybe we could have 2 pets
    Xpaq
                            posted 10-11-2001 10:00 GMT            

Instead of going to a pet store and buying a kitten i think you should be able to call forth the souls of animal\'s lost in the \"upper\"
                         world , then ressurect them ,this would require some kind of lv or/and a certain race , and you then could make them evil death
                         driven beasts or peacefull companions to guide you on your journey.
    Oldman Kay
                            posted 11-11-2001 16:32 GMT            

Xpaq wrote:

Instead of going to a pet store and buying a kitten i think you should be able to call forth the souls of animal\'s lost in the
                         \"upper\" world , then ressurect them ,this would require some kind of lv or/and a certain race , and you then could make them evil
                         death driven beasts or peacefull companions to guide you on your journey.

Take out the \"And/or a certain race\" and you have a GENIOUS idea!

ArchSummoner

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2002, 02:16:24 am »
summoning creatures i think is a good idea.
i could summon this drunk baby thing: :baby:

ElMago

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2002, 12:20:43 am »
Summon doesn\'t sound bad, but usally the summon class (i don\'t know wich) is the strongest or the richest of the game =( and that\'s not fair

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2002, 12:30:32 am »
well, maybe summoning could only work now and this or cost something, if that is a problem

antonio842

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2002, 02:56:58 am »
revive would be a neat thing to have

it was done in DII i really liked it

you had to go up levels in revive before the monters did much or else they were just really weak

Tearlach t'an Ailech fin Leros

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2002, 08:05:35 am »
\"Companions\" that can\'t help you could also be a part of the game, I mean just to enrich the gameplay.
Join The Order Of The Hand .
The rules are being updated, mail me if you are interested in knowing them.
\"Down in their hearts, wise men know this truth: the only way to help yourself is to help others.\"
Never take life seriously; nobody gets out alive anyway.

Dwinney

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2002, 11:00:25 am »
What do you mean by\"companions that can\'t help you\"? ?( (Give examples plz)
When our hearts both beat in time,
There\'s magic in your smile,
It seems there\'s nothing we can\'t do.

And within your warm embrace,
My heart will find a place,
Even from afar,
Our love forever shall be, destiny.

Excerpt from L2EB  

Tearlach t'an Ailech fin Leros

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2002, 02:20:01 pm »
A frog for an example or a pixie dragon, just a pet.
Join The Order Of The Hand .
The rules are being updated, mail me if you are interested in knowing them.
\"Down in their hearts, wise men know this truth: the only way to help yourself is to help others.\"
Never take life seriously; nobody gets out alive anyway.

ShredderX

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2002, 08:27:11 pm »
I\'d like a bodygaurd as a companion  ;)

CO-LEADER OF THE AZURE ORDER      

Dwinney

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2002, 07:52:17 am »
Lol, that\'s cool, I\'d like a few Kran as bodyguards so I\'ll never get PKed!
Mwhahaha!!!! :D
When our hearts both beat in time,
There\'s magic in your smile,
It seems there\'s nothing we can\'t do.

And within your warm embrace,
My heart will find a place,
Even from afar,
Our love forever shall be, destiny.

Excerpt from L2EB