Author Topic: Auction Houses  (Read 2304 times)

DepthBlade

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2004, 08:29:35 pm »
wow um heh I guess only someone who plays this game would know but this Auction House is a direct rip off of the system Final Fantasy 11 has and let me say it works amazingly well.

It is even called the AH aka. Auction House on the game ^^ There seems to be a few differences but it still is relatively the same.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 08:31:13 pm by DepthBlade »

Nightmare

• Traveller
    • View Profile
It's not really unique...
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2004, 08:33:35 pm »
World of Warcraft has this same system, only my \"Bargain Bin\" idea could really change it for the better while still leaving a fantastic system pretty much intact.

Needless to say, auctions in general kick ass.  :D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 08:35:23 pm by Nightmare »
I WILL SHOW YOU THE GREATEST NIGHTMARE!

Kereshin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2004, 03:54:38 pm »
Agreed, but its not a total rip off from FF... And if it is, I\'m sure the person who started this didnt know or do it on purpose.
After a 14+ hour download at about 4 kbps, I finally downloaded and installed CB. Now if I could only figure out how to work the darn setup and character creation!

SirTokesalot

• Traveller
    • View Profile
use personal stores
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2004, 05:22:51 pm »
I\'v played mmorpgs that use the auction system, this makes for a very expecive economy.
Insane prices dominated buy hight lev players, i dont like it. Cash and items take longer to change hands this inturn slowes the economy down.
 I have played mmorpgs that use personal stores, i think this workes better, prices are cheaper for all. It makes for more compition in prices. Items and cash changes hands faster and helps the economy.
u can look and get an idea of what prices should be.
 I do hate the simply spamming of \"sword for sale sword for sale\" and only the trade system.
 In a game the prices when way down when they added
personal stores. An item that was once worth 1 mil  gold is now worth 100 k for exg.
Auction system item=1 mil gold
Personal Store item=100K gold
 If u want me to explain personal stores more i can.
 ps i dont like losing items to DCs........
Religion is the opiate of the masses.
                   Karl Marx

Nightmare

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Personal stores and the auction houses...
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2004, 09:02:39 pm »
Okay, I need more opinions...It also appears I\'m carrying this topic, but it\'s actually fun.  :D   I need more opinions on the auction house, because of SirTokesALot\'s post.... It\'s always seemed to me that auction\'s keep prices low; just look at eBay.  Personal stores need more explaining, because, from what I visualize, they would be both impractical and inconvenient for adventurers to maintain.  I want to take care of my buying and selling, without any middle-man-merchant.  There is no reason to only use the auction house, as spamming is still effective, only much mroe annoying.  The AH lowers the amount of spam by a good chunk.  And what is this DC? Debt Collector? Dirty Camshaft? What is it? ?(

Myrtl

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2004, 09:42:35 pm »
Auction sounds like a great idea. Hard to get scammed using it.
Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

In-game: Myrtl Shift

Join The Knights Templar at
http://www.freewebs.com/the-knights-templar/

Geghlesh

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
welll...
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2004, 10:00:13 pm »
Well in Final Fantasy 11, there was a auction-like sytem where you could sell up to seven things, when you click on the item, it turns red and is seellable, and when you go back and if the items yellow, its sold, and you go to your house and go to your inbox to pick up your money. In almost every game the AH(Auction house) i flawless. Why? because you have to show, then  sell the item. Not too many loopholes in this, AND it would be far from ebay.

Nightmare

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2004, 10:35:43 am »
At school, this\'ll be quick:

I said eBay only in the style of auctions, plus it saved me $200 on RDRAM.  So how could this idea not be a strong seller to the devs?   :))

kd5ypt

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Different idea for bargain bin...
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2004, 03:26:25 pm »
Having a powerful weapon on sale at 10% if buyer didn\'t pick it up is sort of unbalancing.  This allows some player to just camp by bargain bins and keep clicking refresh until something interesting shows up.

An idea is that after the designated time for the buyer to pick it up expires.  The said item goes into the bargain bin at the price the buyer pays.  And at a set time limit (one day in real life might be good, or four times in a real time day, depending on what the developers want).  The price is reduced using a percentage.

Exampe...
An auctioned sword that was sold at 10,000 tria expired.
The \"unclaimed\" bin holds the item and sold it at 10,000 tria.  
After a period of time, the price is by 1% of the original price.
So after one time period, it\'s 9,900, and 9,800, and 9,700 and so on.
After a certain time, let\'s say if the price is down to 50% the original and no one bought it, it disappears forever.

Nightmare

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2004, 03:04:49 pm »
NOTE:  If auctions expire and there are no bidders, the item is returned to the seller and nothing is lost.  However, if the item was bid on and is not picked up, then it will proceed to the bin, etc. etc.

I personally don\'t see many rediculously good weapons ending up the the bin unless by some weird circumstance.  If people want to camp the bins, let them, \'cause that\'s a good way to get some good items.  And BTW, nobody said any of the stuff I proposed is final, so don\'t take it like it is and say it\'s unbalanced, \'cause it\'s just a proposal.  I guess 10% is a little low, but it was a proposal.  And anyway, it would be kind of sad to see a good weapon get deleted if its ending price was too high.  Oh well, we\'ll have to see how this works out, I guess.

PlaneWalker

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2004, 01:19:23 am »
You make a good point nightmare.  But I was also thinking on the side of the auction house.

Auction house has an owner, and said owned will always attempt to squeeze as much money from an item as possible.  So it is only natural that an item not picked up will be on sale near its final bidding price.

As with camping by bargain bin, I won\'t mind if there\'s one and two.  But I am afraid of situation where a horde of people just camp there and create an on sightly congestion (not to say people are stupid, but once we get a lot of players, stupid people will appear).  This system also gives less incentive for bargain bin camping, since the stuff you buy is at its highest price.

Another suggestion for display case, the display case could display items that are near the end of its bidding period.  It could be a sort of last minute bidding rush for players to see what good stuff is about to end its bidding period.

SirTokesalot

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Auction system might not be so good?
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2004, 02:22:01 pm »
In an auction system the prices will skyrocket.
Buyers will compeat to buy an item and the bidding can go insanely hight.
What about if I get my friend to bid on my items to drive the price up abit ? what then???that kinda cheating is hard to prove...
 ebay usally has good prices but thats the real world where a company going out of bizz can liuqedate alot of stuff cheap or what ever else the reasons.
 I\'v seen used items sell for more on ebay then it would cost to buy new fom a store.....
 in a personal store system the sellers are compeating with each othere to sell for less. The prices cant go belowe what the npc would give you , and are usally fair. This give the Dev more control over the prices, they can stet npc price highter or lower to effect the market price of items.
 You can Still get lots and lots cash for rare/high lev, or perf items.
 a personal store could work much the same as an \"auction house\" except you set a fixed price on the items. First come first serve. Personal store are cheat proof in some othere games so i dont see the problem.
meaby there could be an \"opend market\" in stead of auction house.
 Would u like being lev 70 using  lev 50 items because the prices are so insanly hight? I know there no levs in ps but still.
 Any thoughts anyone??
Religion is the opiate of the masses.
                   Karl Marx

Nightmare

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2004, 05:31:52 pm »
Sir:  if you aren\'t in a rush to post, could you take a little time to make them a bit more readable?  I\'m not dissing your posts, just saying they aren\'t quite what the could be  ;)   And I need more explanation.  I\'m really not getting the personal store concept.  

And as for PlaneWalker, I like where you\'re coming from.  I see now what you\'re saying about camping, as that may become a real problem. Hmmmm.  Well, we\'ll have to work that out now, too.  Maybe set a limit of how much time you can spend per 24 hour period or even just per hour inside the auction house.  It would stop people from just sitting in the AH all day, and maybe ease the congestion.  And we could make it really big inside.   :D   And as for the display case idea, that could really work.  And it could give the poor people a glimpse of things they\'ll never have.  :D

Efflixi Aduro

• Veteran
  • O_o
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2004, 05:48:18 pm »
OK I tried to ignore this thread but I gotta speak up since I have a big mouth :P
An auction house is usually completly usless to me except the part that it keeps
S> UBER DAGGER +597398 +EX OPT people off the streets.  You\'re trying to solve problems that dont exist yet. However, I like the trade system.

And ill say it once again: You\'re trying to solve problems that dont exist yet.
:) <-- thaats my no hard feelings sign
Lol Internet

PlaneWalker

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2004, 05:56:01 pm »
Actually the idea would be (from what I remeber from the forum so far) is yes, there will be a place to merely trade items.  The auction house is designed for the purpose of selling rare items.  As for having a friend bidding high... there\'s no need or no incentive since you can just set the starting price that high.  As for it being exorbantly expensive, well then no one will bid on it, period.

Thanks Nightmare for the kind reply.  I like the idea of restricting the amount of time one could stay in the auction house, but there doesn\'t seems to be any reason for an auction house to toss a potential customer out...

One of the way could be to \"move\" the bargain bin else where.  Or just replace bargain bin with a store or stores (don\'t know what it should be called) where all the unclaimed items go.  That way we restrict crowding to just those stores.  And if that\'s not enough, the time restriction you suggest can apply.

Maybe the item can be put up for reauctioning instead of having being move to a bargain bin, thereby eliminating the need for it.

Glad you like the display case idea.