Author Topic: controls have been nerfed?  (Read 1738 times)

Peacer

• Veteran
  • I've got balls of steel
    • View Profile
controls have been nerfed?
« on: September 19, 2007, 12:38:48 pm »
ok now, everythings going too slow, like the rest of the game.

Unstick: a timer? Didn't take me long to find this out although Lyaph confirmed my guess. I understand it's for cheating, but really, I've died a lot more than usual because of this. All the bugs that tore me over an edge, stuck me to some place or whatever would happen to me seems the only way out is dying making the speed of travelling like everything else in game (training as an example.) Might as well remove all the functions. It's only punishing the other people.

Mouse sensitivity: In the past I used to be able to turn really sharp, sharper than I can with the arrows. Why has this changed? I want to have more control over the character than I have now. Relate it to real life? Well I can turn pretty much sharply.

Autorun: Please, give another way to stop autorunning than hitting autorun again.

Although I want to compliment the trigger some npcs have when you pass them. Now this thread isn't entirely looking at the missing things :p.
The Guardians of Power

left the game, looking in now and then to check progress, if you want to contact me use the email attached to the msn contact on this forum account

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
Re: controls have been nerfed?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 02:24:56 pm »
Unstick has a timer? Never noticed that, but I will check.

Mouse sensitivity should still be the same, please check your settings, your camera mode and your mouse sensitivity.

You should be able to stop autorun by pressing "forward" (W).
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 02:57:50 pm »
The "You cannot unstick now" trouble is really annoying. Especially when you accidently jumped into a corner, and keep being stuck because you can not unstick out of the corner, and keep running and running into the wall, losing stamina - and imagine being attacked and unable to escape.

No - you can not turn around anymore while being stuck in a corner.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Kaerli

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 04:19:15 pm »
Why has nobody figured out the stickiness?  My guess is that it is a collision-detection issue...maybe CS needs a better collision-detection algo :O

bilbous

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 12:03:31 am »
You should be able to stop autorun by pressing "forward" (W).
The up arrow also works but in either case it does not toggle the auto run switch so that you have to press it twice next time you want to use it. I believe that is a known bug that has not been fixed as yet.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 12:50:29 am »
Collision on "bounding box/cylinder" base is fine, in general (except for "falling through the map" issues); but sticking into walls is not. In real life, I would bump back from a wall I ran into.

Also I already suggested to check for a "moving" state while not changing the coordinate for a specific amount of time.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

bilbous

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 01:13:52 am »
In real life you wouldn't run into a wall, unless your motor or visual skills were somehow impaired. I think most of the people who frequently run into walls are using their cell phones err chat tabs to talk to their buddies. As in real life pay attention to the road. This brings me to another suggestion, if you are running full speed and chatting a mile a minute your stamina should drop much more rapidly because your breathing would not be modulated efficiently for the exertion or else your words should be garbled or both. Perhaps Kran could be somewhat exempted but some reason could be invented to cover them as well.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 02:00:55 am »
Can you imagine how easily you are able to start typing without the chat window being active? And when you hit the "auto run" key (T per default) accidently, it takes a bit time to react because in the meantime you accidently opened the Options (O), Skills (P) or Inventory (I) window as well...

Or you are trying to jump over an obstacle or onto a box, railing, ledge - whatever. You mistimed the keys, and jump instead against the objects you wanted to jump onto, or over it and against the wall behind it...

Don't tell me you never did any of the above mistakes!

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 02:27:17 am »
but sticking into walls is not. In real life, I would bump back from a wall I ran into.

so... when this is fixed there would be some boomerang effect making you bounce back so hard you run backwards for awhile? ;)

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 02:49:53 am »
Unstick: a timer? Didn't take me long to find this out although Lyaph confirmed my guess. I understand it's for cheating, but really, I've died a lot more than usual because of this. All the bugs that tore me over an edge, stuck me to some place or whatever would happen to me seems the only way out is dying making the speed of travelling like everything else in game (training as an example.) Might as well remove all the functions. It's only punishing the other people.

Unstick simply doesn't work when you're still moving from my experience. If you get stuck while autorunning, hit it again to stop running, then unstick. Never had any problems with it that way. /unstick never failed me in this recent release.

Autorun: Please, give another way to stop autorunning than hitting autorun again.

Ever tried hitting the forward key to stop autorunning? ;)
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 05:40:14 am »
If you get stuck while autorunning, hit it again to stop running, then unstick. Never had any problems with it that way.

But if you get stuck while not autorunning, but simply running, or jumping forward?

Releasing the "forward" key does not stop you from running in this case. You simply keep running, while being stuck in the wall.

I could try to activate and deactivate "autorun" - while running in the wall - and see if that helps; but for now I found no way to stop running once I got stuck running in a wall...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 05:47:28 am »
Hmm ... well I'm actually not really sure how I handle that. All I know is that I've had no problems with unsticking. Could be that I haven't gotten stuck while running normally ... or maybe I can get out of that one too. Next time it happens I'll pay some attention to how I get out of there :P
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

monktbd

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 09:18:50 am »
I could try to activate and deactivate "autorun" - while running in the wall - and see if that helps; but for now I found no way to stop running once I got stuck running in a wall...

this actually does help most of the time.

bilbous

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 09:48:35 am »
Can you imagine how easily you are able to start typing without the chat window being active?
That is a different problem that needs to be looked at. I know what you mean though.

Or you are trying to jump over an obstacle or onto a box, railing, ledge - whatever. You mistimed the keys, and jump instead against the objects you wanted to jump onto, or over it and against the wall behind it...
This is generally trying to go where you are not really expected to go and in my mind should be done at your own risk. They are also places where not as much polish has been given as the beaten path. It might be a good idea to note the coordinates and post them somewhere. I think there will be so many that it would overwhelm the bugtracker but a thread here might be suitable. Certainly I think down the well is the intended access to the under-temple but I have seen many people attempting to jump over or around the exit partition. More power to you if you can but I think if this is one of the places you are talking about you should have no expectation of success.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 11:28:52 am »
As long as there was no barmaid in Kada-El's, it was very usual to jump over the "knee door" and serve as PC barkeeper. As often as the movement and collission code was changed, as often people had a harder time to enter the bar. Now you are even helpless when you get stuck between wall and barrels.

Okay, you negative thinker - today you are not any more expected to play a barkeeper. But why does a dog lick his ... you know.

And how many people do you see standing or sitting on the railings and podests around the plaza fountain. Would you prefer to prohibit jumping on them? Why would you.

The motto "Don't provoke a bug" is no solution to a bug.

"Reflection" is a simple vector calculation. And as far as I tought through this issue, the client should be able to deal with it, the server won't.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador