Author Topic: Lurker Trolls  (Read 4782 times)

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
Re: Lurker Trolls
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2010, 02:34:02 pm »
Ezekiel 12:2

2 Son of man, you are living among a rebellious house. They have eyes to see but do not see, and ears to hear but do not hear, for they are a rebellious house.    

It's not just a bible quote.  Set aside the ZOMG TEH RELIGUNZ for a few seconds and look at the meaning behind it.  Perfectly appropriate. 

But seriously. Any troll who's reading this thread will think "Oh yeah they're hating me; perfect! Means I'm doing something right!"

I have to wonder how the definition of troll changes in people's minds.  Because I think some people on this forum are trolls, and probably wouldn't ever consider themselves to be a troll.  They might be reading this thread and thinking how lame other trolls are.  ;)

I plead guilty.

I don't know you.... but can I hug you?   :woot:

bad trolls are easy to spot.

people who are truly good at trolling can do it without being suspected of trolling for years.

\\o//

@Irishman and Tessra: Ok fine, be hardheaded... If you don't treat a problem more professionally on this forum then it will go nowhere even faster than it has. But since I can't possibly know anything, I'll leave that to you who know how to effectively get the community's attention to work that out. And calling people trolls here is almost a sign of status. Not to mention, like I said... most aren't here anymore. ;)

I'm not hardheaded. ;) There's a difference in addressing a problem in a professional matter and bringing it to light in a humorous one.  Let's face it... aside from the mods who happen to pop into this thread, us random forumers don't actually have much ability to dole out solutions.  All we can do in this case is change how we address the problem-causers, in this case trolls.  We've all been discussing this problem calmly and professionally, or at least trying to.  It's nothing personal that I don't agree with your methods, nor does it mean you "can't possibly know anything..."  If you always joke around, people will hesitate to take you seriously.  If you are always serious, people will consider you uptight and will most likely make references to the random things that need to be removed from your anal sphincter.  [collective you, not you specifically, Illysia]  The only option is to pick a middle ground, to combine brevity and gravity in a way that people can both respect and relate to.  Perhaps the people you knew before as being the major trolls are not here.  But there are still people here who troll the forums and annoy the masses.  Call them trolls in training if you like, but if their behavior is not checked now, it will only worsen in time. 
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

Drey

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2010, 03:40:02 pm »
<Rux> i wish i could say that narrows it down, but the internet is one freaky place

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2010, 04:00:37 pm »
Dudes, you're players. Why make it about profession?

I say we install a rule where we invite back the best trolls this forum has had to offer, even if we have to troll them back here.

So what's this mad talk about pointing out trolls in a witch hunt? So there's that... there are religious quotes and Drey mentioned as an supernatural being. Man, I've just been trolled.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2010, 06:57:16 pm »
In response to the bible, and equally credible book once wrote:
"Run, run as fast as you can, you can't catch me, I'm the stinky cheese man."

This... The reason why using religious text on the internet is usually a bad idea (in a non religious setting)... The only reason to bring a religious text into a discussion is for added credibility and authority. A point can be valid in its own right. Since the internet is a diverse place, using a religious text for added credibility and authority is useless as not everybody recognizes it as such making it moot. Worse yet, this is not the best scripture to use as we already established that certain kinds of trolls can be a problem because they refuse to change... That’s a given. What we need is the scripture where God restores order with a stern talk and ostracism. ;D

@Tessra: Oh and think for a moment about how many “serious” or neutral posts you’ve seen from Irishman and compare that with his post count. If you can find more than 10 PM me and I’ll send back a cookie. ;) “If you always joke around, people will hesitate to take you seriously” <-- This is the very point I am making. If someone other than Irishman had posted it, it might still have the same weight, but since Irishman spends most of his time joking around the original post looses its power.

To a certain extent, people need to chill to deal with trolls. Getting in an uproar every time someone posts a less than nice thread doesn’t help. It’s like dealing with a child that cuts up for attention. The more of a fuss you make about its behavior, the more it will act up. The best thing is to ignore what you can and swiftly, but decisively discipline when necessary. Therefore, part of the problem is that active mods like Neko need to be put on the complaint section and other problem areas so they can actually mod the stuff that needs it. Shame that in all this time that solution hasn’t been applied.

And Drey a god? PSSSSHHHHTTT! :P He doesn’t even have centralized holy scripture explaining his origin. ;)

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2010, 10:35:46 pm »
 Confucius

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated

Drey

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2010, 05:52:11 am »
And Drey a god? PSSSSHHHHTTT! :P He doesn’t even have centralized holy scripture explaining his origin. ;)

Did you just volunteer Illysia darling?
<Rux> i wish i could say that narrows it down, but the internet is one freaky place

jaculapundactum

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2010, 06:48:43 am »
Illysia is right though. Irishman does joke around a lot, and also you just need to shrug trolls off and don't take them seriously. What I do, if anyone says anything horrible to me I just think to myself "troll", if anyone calls me a 'troll' I think to myself "troll" so you know, I just don't take anything in seriously. Yes if someone gets in my way of my gaming experience I will go to a GM as that is only fair.
And just to note that no matter what people say there will always be a troll joining Planeshift, every few months, so there is really no point in this topic.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

troyyer

« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2010, 07:52:38 am »
Very informative.

Jekkar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2010, 06:12:58 am »
Well this thread was a good laugh. Considering it was written 100% for me.

Mr. So Called Irishman (actually as much Spanish as Irish, or so he once said to me), I find your entire original post to be rather hypocritical. Many, many people have told me you peeve them off because, you, dear sir, are a complete troll. One looks at this forum a few times, and cannot miss several threads made by you, poetically putting others down. Troll work. Then there's hundreds of posts where you do the same, or diss others in threads. To tell a malcontent (excuse the pun) to gtfo is hypocritical. At least the malcontent's (excuse the re-use of the pun) opinion is valid, and in many cases not intended to be humourous. As you stated, you infused humour into your original post. Therefore you're trolling.

Then again, you're failing at trolling, as the humour is dryer than a nun's nether-regions. You just make an ass of yourself.

At all those saying Talad (and his "team") listens: Take the wool off your eyes. Sure, they'll change some mechanics, add some pretty graphics, give you a pretty item or three.... but the politics of PlaneShift will always be the same. Controlled. Dictated. Paranoid.

A very strong reply, and I fully agree.
"A new day will come when those who rudely interrupt are swept away!" -Lereal

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2010, 10:42:16 am »
Lets intoduce a little anarchy here ;D

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2010, 11:05:42 am »
Venorel makes a note to suggest the category of Bitterest Oldbie in Irish's next awards ceremony and then adds a couple of potential nominees.

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2010, 09:01:04 pm »
* Caraick does the same, and finds that it's a bit difficult to narrow down the list  ;D
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2010, 09:32:17 pm »
I gave up on this thread. Xoel/Taphan/Akkaido - whatever you go by, you aren't worth my time. None of my threads are made in anger or attempts to belittle someone, no, that is what you do. People are peeved by most anything, I could care less.

Edit: There are two types of trolls. I am one of the whimsical ones. I do troll, its obvious. But I am not of the other class, the ones that are just jerks. Those with half a brain and half a level of emotional intelligence can see my poems are not insulting, just unrelated.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 09:34:22 pm by bloodedIrishman »