Author Topic: Ads, what you think of it?  (Read 2720 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Ads, what you think of it?
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2010, 10:58:20 am »
Well isn't this just the way of the forums right now... Derailing on topics that are not only irrelevant in the thread but also in the game. Just as a note for anyone that hasn't played the game yet but it getting bad vibes from the thread, the elitist RPers abandoned this game long ago like history buffs that got sent back in time to the titanic. ;D :offtopic:

Now to get on topic.

Talad, although I can see the benefit of raising money for advertising, I think that plenty of people are actually coming in contact with the game as it is. There are always new names in game and on the forums and to be honest, most new players start out playing only one character regularly. Although numbers are low, I don't think it's because of a lack of enough players but because of a tainted atmosphere. Partially displayed in this thread... I think getting the in game community more used to interacting and getting the forum community to be nicer within itself would do way more good as fewer people would get scared off. Attracting new people only to have them get run off is not very helpful. ;)

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2010, 11:39:26 pm »
 By now Talad should have a mild idea of how much money it makes, and can decide to switch to a different kind of ad deal or remove them completely. I still think the advertising trade off would be more valuable right now than the money maker.

Remember not to consider the forum community and the game community different. There are only a handful that inhabit just one... You aught to be back on topic for the entire time after your bolded words.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2010, 11:49:56 pm »
It is on topic. It's exactly what I think of the ads. I think ads for advertising are a bit of wasted effort as people are coming into the game. We are even getting RPers as new players. :o

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2010, 12:19:39 am »
 You broke the link to "advertising" in the second sentence of your second paragraph. Since you hate getting and staying off topic, why do you do it so much?
 What do you mean by "wasted effort" when it only requires they be imbedded into the page? Why do you infer that the ads are going to get people into the game?
 (It's like an extension.)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2010, 12:31:10 am »
We are testing google ads on the main web site and forums.
The money (if any) will be used to advertize more PS, to buy hardware and bandwidth when needed.

No Nivm, you apparently missed part of the initial post. I went back and got the relevant parts. Everything I said is tied to this. And on the off topic thing, I explained to you already all of that. I ignore off topic all the time. What I stop are the potentially topic derailing comments that can lead to getting a thread locked.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2010, 03:13:43 am »
Illysia, I think this is Nivm's way of saying he likes you.  ;D

bow chika wow wow

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2010, 04:22:12 am »
 I still don't see how it links up, especially because you already made a reply to that. I'll check again after a few days.

I can't like anyone the way you're thinking, Blooded. But to my way, yes. We had one of those PM conversations that could be called flaming (but would better be described as a duel of patience and coherency), and that was kinda fun. She has a typing impairment injury, so it's paused right now.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2010, 11:21:36 am »
Yes, nearly giving myself a bad case of carpal tunnel from arguing on the forums is not cool, so I won't be going into any long explanation.
*several people breath a sigh of relief*

But it links up as a cause and effect. Cause: Low player count/ low number count of people on the team, Effect: Something needs to be done to reverse that state. That would imply the next cause and effect chain, Cause: Ads introduced to generate money for ads and bandwidth expansion, effect: more people would know to come along and infrastructure can be put in to support them. And that leads to some other chains. However,  I don't think more advertising is needed. I think the problem is keeping players in the game after they come.

garoninja

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2010, 12:06:35 pm »
Hrm not sure what to think......If it helps fund PS thats good. Not so fond of ads though.

Garosan grins "Sit on me and I'll put a crossbow bolt in the back of your head then bludgeon Vayl to death with one of your arms."

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2010, 03:55:43 am »
My first thought, upon seeing the ads, was: "Google AdSense is not the most clever way to monetize your website."

However, despite cheapening the look of a page, I really don't care if there are ads. You want a few extra cents in your PayPal, good for you.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

louscroo

• Hydlaa Resident
  • I don't even know where this text will show up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 04:23:18 pm »
My friend and I had ads on a website, and we made a sitecrawler that clicked a link on each page and used proxies to make them seem like a unique visitor.

Our account was closed and we were banned from Google Adsense for ad fraud. We should've had about 400 dollars for each week we had the ads up.
Vvally, ye olde village idiot.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2010, 01:04:08 pm »
My approach is to check them each day and if there is something that genuinely gets my attention to visit the site and give it a moment by checking out a few pages or starting a download of the demo they may have. After doing that a bit you will likely notice that more relevant ads will begin to appear which meet your tastes and the whole experience can be a good one for all involved and not simply a chore or mini-fraud to the advertiser. The ads seem weighted more on the user's preferences than the hosting site's content.

- Nova