Author Topic: Not a volcano!  (Read 3702 times)

GlassZephyr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Not a volcano!
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2009, 10:40:52 pm »
from what people are saying they seem to be near each other.
I will find it eventually, even if I have to grid the whole map and click on everything >:]

Prolix

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2009, 10:54:25 pm »
I still say it is where Talad scooped out the mass that became Gugrontid. Of course I used to say it was where the ulbernauts went to be encrustallated on their way to being reborn as Kran. I have told a few tall tales such as that in my time. Too bad the settings proves me wrong so often.

By the way you might try asking someone in the game to show you the cave entrance.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2009, 11:22:39 pm »
I'm still not sure how our characters are supposed to know half the settings.  And if they know half of the settings, which half do they know?
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

GlassZephyr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2009, 11:49:14 pm »
I found the cave.
The velinshi are adorable.
Now I'm going to see if I can find the other one =)

Xemmas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2009, 08:03:55 am »
I'm still not sure how our characters are supposed to know half the settings.  And if they know half of the settings, which half do they know?

Almost all the time the wrong half... haha  :P
Ummm.... Klyros For BBQ!!!!!

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2009, 08:28:32 am »

Its fairly obvious, your Characters know half the settings because they've lived with them all their lives. As each piece of information is released into the wild its up to you to decide if your character would know it, in this case, a geological location, its safe to assume anyone born/living in the vicinity would know the correct name and the story behind it and possibly those from further afield.

The information in books and quests is more for the Player to learn from than the Character
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2009, 04:18:44 pm »

Its fairly obvious, your Characters know half the settings because they've lived with them all their lives. As each piece of information is released into the wild its up to you to decide if your character would know it, in this case, a geological location, its safe to assume anyone born/living in the vicinity would know the correct name and the story behind it and possibly those from further afield.
It's not obvious.  For years, we were told we weren't supposed to know who Vodul is, even though Vodul is in the settings.  It's a medieval setting so most people should be fairly ignorant when it comes to understanding the workings of the social order, unless they have personal involvement or experience.  In medieval times, literacy was low, and access to books was a privileged of the few.  As far as things having "correct names", history tells us that specific locations can have multiple correct names in real life.

The information in books and quests is more for the Player to learn from than the Character
See?  It's complicated.
Immaturity is FTW.

Gravemind

• Hydlaa Resident
  • aka Nhil Sould
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2009, 06:16:53 am »
IT'S NOT A CRATER, IT'S A HOLE
There is an alternative, more probable theory that 9/11 was in fact caused by Hanson's 1997 smash hit 'MMMBop.'

Dermathil

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2009, 07:50:31 am »
IT'S NOT A CRATER, IT'S A HOLE

Don'T shout, as it IS a crater, as that's what the Settings Dept. said.
* Dermathil bows before the Omnipotent XilliX *

Proud owner and founder of the Khazadi Bookshop.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2009, 10:18:13 am »
A crater is the result of an impact, explosion or eruption. If it is the result of anything else, such as subsidence, then it is a hole. No point shouting it though.

Prolix

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2009, 10:40:49 am »
So the impact of Talad's fingers/will when he scooped out the mass that would become Gugrontid might qualify it for being a crater???
I keep telling you people, you have to use your imagination. After he scooped it out, he squished it and shaped it, transforming it into something suitable to slam on a poor kran's head.
Why are we still arguing about this?

Dermathil

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2009, 12:00:38 pm »
I just thought that that crater had maybe been caused by the fall of a stalactite of the ceiling of Yliakum, and that had shattered on impact. That's why I prefer to say it is a crater. (my opinion tho)

Proud owner and founder of the Khazadi Bookshop.

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2009, 04:15:42 am »
It's not obvious.  For years, we were told we weren't supposed to know who Vodul is, even though Vodul is in the settings. 
Seems obvious to me that Vodul is therefore in the half of settings your character doesn't know

It's a medieval setting so most people should be fairly ignorant when it comes to understanding the workings of the social order, unless they have personal involvement or experience. 
Do not confuse Medieval with feudal, Yliakum is a small insular society with a small population, so most people should have a fairly good understanding of their position in society and how to improve oneself.

In medieval times, literacy was low, and access to books was a privileged of the few.  As far as things having "correct names", history tells us that specific locations can have multiple correct names in real life.
Refer to my answer above do not confuse Medieval with Feudal, literacy was low in medieval times because of the lack of economic access to books and the written word also church control and other issues, however Yliakum has an abundance of books all freely available in the library, everyone who crafts has books.

See?  It's complicated.
Sorry but no I don't see, even before I became a GM/joined Settings I understood the relationship between what my Char knows and what I as a player know, it only becomes complicated when over analysing.
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2009, 10:18:29 am »
It's not obvious.  For years, we were told we weren't supposed to know who Vodul is, even though Vodul is in the settings. 
Seems obvious to me that Vodul is therefore in the half of settings your character doesn't know
And we know that only because we were told that by the devs.  From reading the settings, it's not obvious what our characters are supposed to be oblivious to.

It's a medieval setting so most people should be fairly ignorant when it comes to understanding the workings of the social order, unless they have personal involvement or experience. 
Do not confuse Medieval with feudal, Yliakum is a small insular society with a small population, so most people should have a fairly good understanding of their position in society and how to improve oneself.
We've been told time and time again that the settings are to have a medieval flavour.  How is it feudal?  It's more a system of governors than a system of lords.  Do the Vegisimi go to war with each other over land and surfs?  Not that I know of.  And there's a difference between understanding your specific position and function in society and understandind the greater order that you have a place in.  You can understand your own personal position without having a clue about the greater social order.

In medieval times, literacy was low, and access to books was a privileged of the few.  As far as things having "correct names", history tells us that specific locations can have multiple correct names in real life.
Refer to my answer above do not confuse Medieval with Feudal, literacy was low in medieval times because of the lack of economic access to books and the written word also church control and other issues, however Yliakum has an abundance of books all freely available in the library, everyone who crafts has books.
Maybe crafting books are picture books?  Still, we've been told by the developers that our characters are supposed to be "fresh off the farm" right after we created them.  They traveled to the big city to become a hero.

See?  It's complicated.
Sorry but no I don't see, even before I became a GM/joined Settings I understood the relationship between what my Char knows and what I as a player know, it only becomes complicated when over analysing.
I don't see it as over analyzing.  I'm just going by what I've been told.  You know me -- I'm very obedient when it comes to instructions.  But when instructions contradict each other, there's a problem.
Immaturity is FTW.

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2009, 10:53:13 am »
Well you're still over analysing my replies
Being told something by the devs, hmm like being told what the settings are? There's no difference between what you read as settings and what you've been told by devs

How does "don't confuse medieval with feudal" become suggesting we have a feudal society? As the free availability of books would show even the lowest of peasants would have a good idea of the government of the day and how the system works.

"Fresh of the Farm" means illiterate? or ignorant and unable to think for themselves? Once more the freely available books would soon stop that as for suggesting picture books for the crafters thats clutching at straws.

There is nothing contradictory about it at all. Your character has grown up in Yliakum all his/her life therefore it's commonsense to accept that your Character knows a lot more about his world than you the Player does
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC