Author Topic: too long to train  (Read 3607 times)

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: too long to train
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 01:11:33 pm »
Lol folks, we know the system needs to be tweaked more. Seriously, we already said so a bunch of times.

I love all of you, but for real, patience!

Our rules people are literally, on vacation.

I suppose that for people who haven't been here terribly long the relatively quick pace that these issues are being addressed must seem terribly slow.

We're changing so much, but progression and balance are a very tricky issue that's very "whack-a-mole" every tweak touches everything else.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:45:29 pm by Xillix Queen of Fools »

Tontow

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 01:59:17 pm »
The question is:  How many hours of none stop play with the best of the best equipment possible should it take for a player to reach the maximum level for each skill?
after that, all that is left is some math...

for example, the record in WOW to reach max level is somewhere around 90 hours (I'm not a WOW player and this is PS and not wow, but the point is still the same)
Tontow's MapMaker Tool 2.0 : http://hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=33954.0 - Make your own maps by walking around and useing the /pos Command!
Site: http://sites.google.com/site/tontowmerlin/

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 07:01:51 pm »
According to Talad, it should take years. Take it up with him if you have an issue with it, but do it in pm.

Tontow

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 07:04:25 pm »
how long is a year in the game compared to real life time? :innocent:
Tontow's MapMaker Tool 2.0 : http://hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=33954.0 - Make your own maps by walking around and useing the /pos Command!

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 07:34:25 pm »

1 rl year is 6 years in the game

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 07:41:50 pm »
....years? is that a joke? i don't think i'm going to bother training again if this is what talad really thinks. might just leave the game.

???

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 10:34:12 pm »
what talad thinks makes sense though, do you really think a swordsman can master the art of a blade in mabey a week of cramming? or a magician to master a way in a month?
if you do then your stupid...
it takes years to become a master at somthing, and if

1 rl year is 6 years in the game
is true
then it wont take you as serious ammount of time as it seems,
it should take mabey about 2 months or so.
I've played PS for a full year now, and its a game i'll stick with for a while, but the only thing i have ever maxed so far, is heavy armor and stats...
im really casual and gradual about training, and i still have fun with the game, so i dont see why other people cant enjoy it the same way
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Tontow

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 12:23:40 am »
364 * 24 = 8736 total hours in a year
8736 - 3640 (10 hours of sleep a day) = 5096 hours a year not sleeping
5096 * 1638 (4.5 hours to eat 3 decent sit down meals and to cook said meals) = 3458 hours left not sleeping and eating
(yet ideally you have school or a 40 hour a week job, well OK.....)
3458 - 2080 = 1378 hours a year of free time, but most people have a life outside of PS so lets divide that by three = 459.3333 hours a year spent playing PS
459.3333 / 6 PS years = 76.55555 hours of game time available to play through one PS year of training

Lets say it takes about 4 PS years to master a single skill ( like a 4 year college ).
76.55555 hours of game time available to play through one PS year * 4 = 306.2222

With this information I would suggest that Completely mastering a skill set should take no longer than a total of 306.2222 hours of playing PS.

For balancing reasons, it should be reasonable (at lest to me it is) to determine what qualifies as a skill set.  I would consider
slightly increasing the training times for skill sets that can be trained at the same time; however, I would also suggest slightly decreasing the training time for skills that are not directly related to other skills

For example:
-Trade would be its own skill set as it is not directly related to any other skill and would have its total training time reduced.

-Combat would be a broad skill set that would probably have the total training time increased.
  Take for example unarmored combat.  The unarmored can naturally be, and normally would be if you where an unarmored fighter, trained at the same time with any weapon skill.

- Crafting on the other hand should probably not receive any adjustment to the 306.2222 hours -(or at least not as much as the combat skill set)- it should take to completely master making a normal un-enchanted maximum quality item as it contains skills that cannot be trained at the exact same time.

Constructive Debate Go!!  :detective:

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 12:39:24 am »
things just got to numbery and techinical for me
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

bilbous

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 02:56:06 am »
I always thought there were 365 (1/4) days in a year was I leaping to a faulty conclusion?
I'm lucky if I get 6 hours of sleep a night.
I eat one meal a day and can do it in front of the computer.
I am apparently unemployable
trade is not a skill

creating a weapon entails both blacksmith skill and the particular weapon skill.

Personally if I played for 300+ hours I would hope to be fairly well trained in most of my primary skills and not just have one skill at max.
Then again I could play for 300 hours and never train a thing but what you suggest leaves no time for that.

Now I do not have any skills maxed out, about the highest I have achieved is 76. I am fairly sure I have logged that many hours amongst my various characters and bilbous has quite a few skills trained higher than 20.

jorrit

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 03:27:03 am »
....years? is that a joke? i don't think i'm going to bother training again if this is what talad really thinks. might just leave the game.

???

Getting maximum skills is a HUGE job. You don't expect that to happen in just a month or so. Also why do you need to have maxed stats anyway? That's not really what PS is about IMHO.

Greetings,
Project Manager of Crystal Space, CEL, CrystalBlend and Crystal Core. Please support Crystal Space with a donation.

Rigwyn

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 05:06:12 am »
The hoop you have to jump though isn't that big. Just train a few levels a day consistently and you'll have maxed a few skills in a year or so.
I don't have and weapon or magic skills maxed yet, but I'm about half way there.

Even with weapon, armor and a magic way trained a third of the way you would have a pretty powerful character
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:16:04 am by Rigwyn »

Elady

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 09:18:47 am »
I have played 16 months now and I put in more hours per week than most people. IN that time I have only maxed out my physical stats and one skill, mining,  I am getting close to maxing out a couple of other skills finally. If the only thing I was interested in doing was leveling then I could have maxed lots of skills by now but I also do a lot of RP. I feel I have sufficient skills to support my RP and that is good enough for me. I don't have to have maxed skills to enjoy the game and I am content to slowly work my way towards improving my skills over time.  Also I tend to learn some of all available skills instead of concentrating on any one thing so it probably right that I'm not maxed in more skills because in reality a character wouldn't have the time or ability to be maxed in more than one or two areas. Actually in reality the vast majority of people wouldn't even be able to master ( ie max) a single skill much less several.

Falcon Avian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 10:17:20 am »
I think it needs to be somewhat hard to train otherwise everyone would be maxed out.  ;D

I have an ego so large it has it's own gravity. So in short, yes, everything does revolve around me.

Zon

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Roving Raiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 12:01:25 pm »
I think they did that on purpose so we would train while rping like summoning your familiar, or magic, fighting etc. It is not supposed to be get training, fight, get training, fight